plastic paint to strengthen paper

Kindly see below for discussion

(whether acrylic or another 'plastic paint' can be used to strengthen, reinforce splitting from inside or also outside (to give a fresh look to) bellows

Painting on paper with acrylic.

Gary Smith (talking about paper preparation for painting with oils to get long life of painting):

The secret to painting on paper and preparing less expensive papers lies in the wonder of the acrylic medium. Acrylic, is essentially a plastic in liquid form. When it dries, and it dries so fairly rapidly, it forms a highly resistant and protective layer of plastic. It also has excellent adhesive qualities, which makes it suitable for a number of painting and preparing purposes.

All that is required are a number of layers of thin acrylic paint or medium on the paper. Three layers should be sufficient, allowing each layer to dry before applying the next. The texture that you might like to create will be determined by the amount of acrylic paint or medium you apply.

….The acrylic paint and medium is basically a layer of plastic that protects the surface against penetration from oil and other elements. Acrylic medium also strengthens the paper. This is the reason why relatively cheaper paper can be used with this method. However, remember that we are still dealing with paper and there are limits to its strength and flexibility.

and???

http://www.polymarine.com/products/parts-and-accessories/flexible-paints-and-antifoulings/superflex-pvc-paint/index.cfm

(whether acrylic or another 'plastic paint' can be used to strengthen, reinforce splitting from inside or also outside (to give a fresh look to) bellows

In my younger art school days I worked a lot with acrylic on paper. (In fact, did a line of painted, paper clothing to be worn as part of a "happening". It was the '70s, what can I say biggrin.gif ?) My experience was that anywhere the acrylic was subjected to folding or flexing, it very quickly broke down, and started to peel and flake away, taking chunks of the paper substrate with it. I think it would last about 10 minutes in the folds of a bellows. It also probably wouldn't adhere very well to leather if any kind of finish or treatment had been used.

Gary Smith (talking about paper preparation for painting with oils to get long life of painting):

The secret to painting on paper and preparing less expensive papers lies in the wonder of the acrylic medium. Acrylic, is essentially a plastic in liquid form. When it dries, and it dries so fairly rapidly, it forms a highly resistant and protective layer of plastic. It also has excellent adhesive qualities, which makes it suitable for a number of painting and preparing purposes.

All that is required are a number of layers of thin acrylic paint or medium on the paper. Three layers should be sufficient, allowing each layer to dry before applying the next. The texture that you might like to create will be determined by the amount of acrylic paint or medium you apply.

….The acrylic paint and medium is basically a layer of plastic that protects the surface against penetration from oil and other elements. Acrylic medium also strengthens the paper. This is the reason why relatively cheaper paper can be used with this method. However, remember that we are still dealing with paper and there are limits to its strength and flexibility.

and???

http://www.polymarin...paint/index.cfm

I wonder if THIS would work?

Or any of These.

There seems to be a world of people with leather issues....not just concertinists.

This sounds like a good research project for someone - to determine just how well this stuff would serve to fix/patch a bellows.

and???

http://www.polymarin...paint/index.cfm

I wonder if THIS would work?

Or any of These.

There seems to be a world of people with leather issues....not just concertinists.

This sounds like a good research project for someone - to determine just how well this stuff would serve to fix/patch a bellows.

Bring out your dead, bring out your dead (or dying) bellows!!

Lots of info - now to find time to have a go, though a bit worried about the school experience contrasted with the 'hyped' claims of modern acrylic products. The issue will definitely be the bendy durability.... B)

Be good to know if anyone else also has a go and succeeds/fails

Perhaps you could start experimenting by getting a piece of leather & distressing it by abrasion with a file to simulate wear. You could then "fix" it with different materials and stress them to see how they hold up?

I wonder if a leather patch combined with liquid vinyl or glue would work so the replacement leather does the flexing not the adhesive?

Perhaps you could start experimenting by getting a piece of leather & distressing it by abrasion with a file to simulate wear. You could then "fix" it with different materials and stress them to see how they hold up?

I wonder if a leather patch combined with liquid vinyl or glue would work so the replacement leather does the flexing not the adhesive?

I think the patch is a good idea at the hole-appearing-stage, rather than the preventive stage to stop further deterioration.

Gave up on Dupont for materials including useless calls to their Euro HQ in Spain - totally disorganised with no-one knowing who does what on paints in their technical divisions- the man at Stevenage paint division has moved.......

However -plus ca change... taking us back to leather cream of old standby, discussion with the manager of Broodie & Middleton/ (which also Russell & Chapple) suppliers to "artistes" (paint ones!) was that acrylic would not last,BUT a product called MAGIX for restoring distresssed leather (with colours too), was very flexible. This could work also on paper bellows, praps. One problem is that it tcomes in 150ml aerosols with a solvent and dries very fast so the question is whether it will stay wet enough when sprayed into a pot for then brushing on.... B&M only have four colours (incl b&w!) in stock but the (uknown manufacturer, perhaps French - tho could be Kiwi whichis owned by Sara Lee)pf MAGIX range shows up in France as having 58 different colours.

As part of the exercise is to tart up as well as stabilise the material, that range of colours sounds v good... if it works. Including chocolate, cognac, London and violine.... http://www.cuirs-pratique.com/cuirs-ameublement_reteindre_teinture-finition-spray-bleu-ciel-p-780.html

Edited by Kautilya

• 3 months later...

I think the patch is a good idea at the hole-appearing-stage, rather than the preventive stage to stop further deterioration.

Gave up on Dupont for materials including useless calls to their Euro HQ in Spain - totally disorganised with no-one knowing who does what on paints in their technical divisions- the man at Stevenage paint division has moved.......

However -plus ca change... taking us back to leather cream of old standby, discussion with the manager of Broodie & Middleton/ (which also Russell & Chapple) suppliers to "artistes" (paint ones!) was that acrylic would not last,BUT a product called MAGIX for restoring distresssed leather (with colours too), was very flexible. This could work also on paper bellows, praps. One problem is that it tcomes in 150ml aerosols with a solvent and dries very fast so the question is whether it will stay wet enough when sprayed into a pot for then brushing on.... B&M only have four colours (incl b&w!) in stock but the (uknown manufacturer, perhaps French - tho could be Kiwi whichis owned by Sara Lee)pf MAGIX range shows up in France as having 58 different colours.

As part of the exercise is to tart up as well as stabilise the material, that range of colours sounds v good... if it works. Including chocolate, cognac, London and violine.... http://www.cuirs-pratique.com/cuirs-ameublement_reteindre_teinture-finition-spray-bleu-ciel-p-780.html

New thoughts appeared just appeared over at Melnet Aug 26/2010- taking in tent canvas sealant.....

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,3890.0.html

I think we are talking adhesives in comparing egg whites to....

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf82181992.tip.html

I applaud all who search for the magic bullet to cure all bellows ills. Someday perhaps. In the meantime I recommend learning some basic leather skills including skiving and use of glues. David Leese has pre-skived leather parts for those who wish to skip a step.

As a concertina repairman I've had to deal with the "invisible" tape, electrical tape, liquid plastic insulator,paper plasters and dozens of ill considered attempts to fix bellows. There is a reason quality leather has been used for nearly 200 years: It Works!

Please! Everyone, take care of the bellows you've got. And before improvising a repair that may go bad please read the Elliott book or best bellows repair literature you can find. Better yet, strongly consider finding a qualified repair person to do the job.

Greg

Now I have not tried this myself , but,I was talking to a man that repaired Cuckoo Clocks and he swore blind that they used Egg White to repair the bellows on the clocks, I pass this on for what it is worth

I reckon it is worth a lot!Particularly as eggs are so cheap. Could also do wonders for more air : concertina soufflée et meringuée....

On a lighter note this is definitely worth trying and obviously has a sound scientific basis, ref. elastic properties of albumin.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb03100.x/abstract

and this is even more convincing:

http://www.net-lanna.info/thaiscience/Article%20for%20ThaiScience/Article/1/Ts-1%20thermo-mechanical%20properties%20of%20egg%20albumen-cassava%20starch%20composite%20films%20containing%20sunflower-oil%20droplets%20as%20influenced%20by%20moisture%20content.pdf

Must try :) tks.