Good Waltzes For...waltzing?

Jim Besser

Ah...is there a Mazurka that follows it in your set? I'd be interested...we usually segue into a song...a Christy Moore number called Ride On...

It's on Anglo international, CD 1; the playlist says "Petit Valse," which is a very pretty French waltz we play, and just "Mazurka," which is basically the same tune as Crested Hen. A very nice combination that dancers seem to like.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I am all-too-familiar with the problem of poor abc files, but the combination of abc and internet archives still represent a fantastic resource.

Another scource for waltzes for dancing is from Vivian Williams at www.VoyagerRecords.com. She has a nice CD of 25 waltzes with accompanying sheet music.

Would the waltz you are playing be Glenn Echo?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about the venue or the tune name?

There's a great Glen Echo Waltz by Larry Unger that I've played for years, although not recently. I also sometimes play AT Glen Echo, although the upcoming waltz session is somewhere else -- the Takoma Park folk festival.

Are you talking about the venue or the tune name?

There's a great Glen Echo Waltz by Larry Unger that I've played for years, although not recently. I also sometimes play AT Glen Echo, although the upcoming waltz session is somewhere else -- the Takoma Park folk festival.

The venue...

The page for the C-Net Big Band has The Connet Waltz,

a rather nice one.

Who is the author of The Connet Waltz? And what is Connet?

Well....you'd have to ask Alan Day to be sure, but....it's my belief that Alan wrote that waltz. I'm not 100% sure. As for what a Connet is... uh, :blink: ...maybe it's an abbreviation for concertina.net? My guess!

The page for the C-Net Big Band has The Connet Waltz,

a rather nice one.

Who is the author of The Connet Waltz? And what is Connet?

Well....you'd have to ask Alan Day to be sure, but....it's my belief that Alan wrote that waltz. I'm not 100% sure. As for what a Connet is... uh, :blink: ...maybe it's an abbreviation for concertina.net? My guess!

Spot on Wendy.

I wrote it for The Concertina. Net Big Band.

Thank you for reminding me of it.I never added chords as I hoped others would, but I have been

playing it this evening trying to put chords to it.Shame the big band never took off it could have been a lot of fun.You cheered me up Wendy as I thought it was the tunes that put people off joining in.

Al

For an upcoming all-waltz gig, I'm looking for some new waltzes.

At last year's event, we did a few really interesting and complex waltzes that sounded great, but the dancers didn't really care for them. I'm interested in finding some new tunes that dance well, as well as sound good.

Any ideas?

Once our Company was getting ready for Christmas Party.

The idea floated, that we would have Waltzing party.

So symphony orchestra was hired and free classes for the employees were offered.

3 times a week we would go to the class and practice.

To my surprize I realized that a Waltz, that I thought I knew how to dance, was spectacularly different dance.

After that we had a party.

What a blast it was, when everybody danced (literally, everybody) and did decently, the music was heard well, but not overpowering, no amplification. Conversations were conducted in a soft voice and were heard well, and if somebody didn't want to dance (rarely), the music was worthy of just listening.

So the idea is to teach the people to waltz first, for which I suggest hiring some instructor. In about ah hour or two you may be surprized how many people would care about it. I think if you had a "Rabbit Hop", or a "Fox Trot" event, people wouldn't care either. Simply because few know how to dance. Teach them1

Say, m3838, in what country do you live/work? You must work for an interesting company...I work with a bunch of young computer geeks who write software...

I'm afraid no one would be too interested in a waltz event...except for their wives, possibly.

Doug :rolleyes:

Say, m3838, in what country do you live/work? You must work for an interesting company...I work with a bunch of young computer geeks who write software...

I'm afraid no one would be too interested in a waltz event...except for their wives, possibly.

USA.

Also quite a bunch of young geeks writing software.

People are a sheep, regardless of nationality and education.

You teach them, they follow. You give them violent video games - they gobble.

You give them real fight - follow.

Give them waltz lessons - same.

Give them what's good for them, not what they 'think' they want. That's the secret of success.

I only wish I was there at your company's party, just to see the expression on your face, when after some waltzhing, tangoing, foxtroting lessons you'll see your young geeks circling the floor to the soothing music of string oktet (sp?).

DJ is anachronism. Has always been. It's just an ugly distortion, depending on booze and drugs.

I did an experiment. I withheld my child from mass culture completely.

Now, that she is a consumer on her own, you should see her lough at Michael Jackson, Brittney, Madonna. It's just plain funny, the amount of bad taste, stupidity. We all got used to it, but a fresh mind is bewildered.

USA.

Also quite a bunch of young geeks writing software.

People are a sheep, regardless of nationality and education.

You teach them, they follow. You give them violent video games - they gobble.

You give them real fight - follow.

Give them waltz lessons - same.

Give them what's good for them, not what they 'think' they want. That's the secret of success.

I only wish I was there at your company's party, just to see the expression on your face, when after some waltzhing, tangoing, foxtroting lessons you'll see your young geeks circling the floor to the soothing music of string oktet (sp?).

DJ is anachronism. Has always been. It's just an ugly distortion, depending on booze and drugs.

I did an experiment. I withheld my child from mass culture completely.

Now, that she is a consumer on her own, you should see her lough at Michael Jackson, Brittney, Madonna. It's just plain funny, the amount of bad taste, stupidity. We all got used to it, but a fresh mind is bewildered.

Interestingly, we did much the same with our two kids......they are into classic Jazz, Big Band sound, Irish and other non-"Popular" garbage, by their own choosing. No tattoos, no piercings, no drugs, no trouble.

Now I just need to figure out how to "market" the idea of a waltz party to these guys! I'm not in a position within the company where I can dictate or even forcefully suggest such a thing.

Thanks, and Cheers!

Doug

Now I just need to figure out how to "market" the idea of a waltz party to these guys! I'm not in a position within the company where I can dictate or even forcefully suggest such a thing.

Thanks, and Cheers!

Doug

Work through the wifes. ;)

Send them cards with the suggestion and see what the husbands will say the next day.

BTW, Tango and Swing are the two hot things today, so may be that will do.

In San Francisco, Swing and Tango classes are very popular, if to judge by the crowds at free lessons in the Park on Weekends.

• 3 weeks later...
For good transcribed waltzes look here:

http://accordion-note.narod.ru/catalog.htm#1

Seem to have good selection of classic waltzes, dome by prorfessional composers and variably arranged, with accompanying harmony, fully transcribed.

Perhabs a chance to get away from predictability of Irish/English/Scottish folk tunes in 3/4.

Now, now...mustn't be snobby! :rolleyes:

Some of those classics are amusingly presumptuous and pompous, and some of those British (and french) folk tunes in 3/4 are quite lovely and elegant...not to mention ladies swoon when they hear them.

:lol:

For good transcribed waltzes look here:

http://accordion-note.narod.ru/catalog.htm#1

Seem to have good selection of classic waltzes, dome by prorfessional composers and variably arranged, with accompanying harmony, fully transcribed.

Perhabs a chance to get away from predictability of Irish/English/Scottish folk tunes in 3/4.

Now, now...mustn't be snobby! :rolleyes:

Some of those classics are amusingly presumptuous and pompous, and some of those British (and french) folk tunes in 3/4 are quite lovely and elegant...not to mention ladies swoon when they hear them.

:lol:

The problem with Button Box players is that they keep on playing the same thing over and over. It probably has to do with how easy it is to play simple tune on the DBB, and how amazingly more difficult it gets, when it comes to variations and improvizations.

So those "presumptuous and pompous" transcriptions give player a chance to explore the ways to vary the tunes.

There are many sites and books with hundreds of tunes, assembled without any care about arrangments or representation of the style. This one is based upon popularity of the pieces and availability of good classy arrangement for the, specifically, Chromatic Button Accordion. It is (should be) reflected in the keys (based upon the easiest (or so I guess) fingering in B system) and use of Stradella Bass. It is also good for adaptation to Concertina, because of Russian adherence to transcribing left hand chords in full, instead of putting letter symbols. So a Concertina player can choose what notes to play to accompany or enrich the melody, which often is arranged well enough to stand on it's own.

All of this makes it an excellent selection for EC players, regardless of personal taste.

Perhabs some Russian waltzes may appear pompous to you, disciplined Brits with dry humor, but it's because Russians are generally less emotionally stable. <_< :D :blink: :o :ph34r: :rolleyes: :lol: :huh: :P :( :)

Same goes for overly showy Argentinian Tango. It may appear quite normal to Argentinians.

Another word in defence of the selection is that simple tunes in 3/4 can be played as waltzes, polkas, mazurkas, jigs etc. So they're not really waltzes. Pompous and Presumptious Arrangements from the selection ARE waltzes. They can't be played as Polkas, Two-steps, Foxtrots or Sambas. Just like Sakkijarven Polka

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/911116 is Polka and nothing else.

Edited by m3838

• 3 weeks later...

We really like to play "The Newly Weds Waltz" frrom Scotland. Also " Ye Banks and Braes" "Mist Covered Mountain" and "Ae Fond Kiss" and "Loch Lomond". The last two being songs of which there is nothing wrong if you sing them while peple waltz.

Here is a great source of tunes for us:

http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/

If you need dots for anything I have mentioned and cant find them, let me know and I can easily send them to you.

Peace,

Jock

I'm sorry for this question (I know perhaps isn't the bettrer place for this), but... what means all those letters and numbers? I suposse that it's relationed whith the buttons of concertina and the song, but I don't know what mens really. Can somebody help me, please?

Like a Waltz (in the language of mi little village - lionese language - we say "vas corríu", and in Spanish "vals"), whith the pipe and tabor I just play a song called "Manolo mío". Is a tradicional song, and the lyrics says:

Manolo mío

a mi me han dicho

que por tres meses

te vas a ir.

Esos tres meses

serán tres siglos,

Manolo mío,

llévame a mi.

(and repeat from "Esos tres meses"...).

The lyrics is longer. I will put it complete tomorrow (if I find the lyrics complete).