Wheatstone Concertina

My godmother gave me a musical instrument some 30 years ago. It is, I think, a concertina. It is in a solid leather box and inside the lid is a label with C Wheatstone of 15 West Street, Charing Cross. The instrument has 30 keys and 6 bellows. It is six sided in shape and all black. It does not appear to have a serial number but it has 'LINOTA' inscripted on both handles.

I am curious to trace its history - I have no idea wher eit originated from other than my godmother gave it to me following the death of her own father.

I look forward to receving any info.

Thanks.

Almost certainly you have a standard 30-button Wheatstone "Linota" anglo. But a standard Linota is still an exceptional instrument. Made in London, England.

There should be a serial number on the instrument, probably on a little metal plate on the one end, wtih a corresponding plate on the other end giving the Wheatstone name and address. If these labels aren't there, there's still a good chance that the serial number is stamped on certain parts inside the instrument. If you know how to be delicate with a screwdriver, we could advise you on opening it up to look for the serial number. The number might then be used to determine the date of manufacture from the recently published Wheatstone company ledgers.

How big is the instrument -- from flat side to opposite flat side across one end?

Each button will play different notes on push and pull of the bellows. Are you able to tell which notes are which? In particular, what is the lowest note on the instrument (the push note of the "leftmost" button in the middle row of the left-hand side)?

If you want to sell it, you'll find many folks here who will offer to buy it. But most of us -- no matter how much we might personally want it -- will recommend that you learn to play it. We love to spread our addiction.

Welcome to Concertina.net!

Debbie,

You may have inherited a valuable antique concertina. The Wheatstone Linota is one of the most sought after concertinas ever made. Many prominent musicians regard them as simply the best ever built.

I would recommend that you have it looked at, by one of the reputable shops listed on Concertina.net. They can both appraise and repair it, if needed. Then, I would second Jim Lucas' advice and learn to play it!

Tom Scott