Views and avatars?...

RAc

Hi there,

I've been on vacations the last couple of weeks and kept up on things with my Smartphone. The forum software seems to be able to detect a mobile browser and by default offers a simplified interface. There is a small link on the bottom of the page allowing to switch to "Full version." Very convenient!

But. Some of the avatars in the mobile client versions are different from the full version; for example, Dirge's avatar in mobile is some kind of oldtimer car, and Jim Lucas has a picture of himself standing up with a Concertina in his hand. When I switch to full version, Dirge becomes his close-up self, and Jim has no avatar (same as in the PC view). The content itself seems to be in sync. Unfortunately I can't make a screenshot of my Win6.2 HTC HD2 without installing some obscure applet, otherwise I'd attach a proof.

Could it be that the avatar database for the smartphone client version of the forum software has been frozen at some point in the past and needs to be resynced every once in a while?

Thanks!

Cool - last time I tried Cnet on my smartphone I got the full-fat forum software, I wasn't aware that we had since had a proper mobile version available. Looks nice on a very quick look ...

I'd suspect it might be your local cache, rather than the server, that's retaining old images? I've no idea about the specifics of the Cnet mobile version, but other mobile devices I've written mobile versions of sites for in the past have an over-aggressive attitude to cacheing images and other support files ... I wouldn't have thought the mobile site would have its own independent image database, but as I say I'm extrapolating from other knowledge rather than certain of the specifics of the Cnet case.

Bit more research - I think the mobile software is showing the image you have registered for your profile view, rather than the separate one that shows against your posts in the full-fat software.

Never understood why the two images are different anyway, but that's another kettle of fish ...

Bit more research - I think the mobile software is showing the image you have registered for your profile view, rather than the separate one that shows against your posts in the full-fat software.

Sounds to me like that's what's happening. I've never had an avatar, but I do have a photo with my profile.

Never understood why the two images are different anyway...

An avatar is like a personal logo. It's supposed to symbolize the person, and a lifelike portrait isn't always the best way to do that.

Hi there,

I've been on vacations the last couple of weeks and kept up on things with my Smartphone. The forum software seems to be able to detect a mobile browser and by default offers a simplified interface. There is a small link on the bottom of the page allowing to switch to "Full version." Very convenient!

Unfortunately I can't make a screenshot of my Win6.2 HTC HD2 without installing some obscure applet, otherwise I'd attach a proof.

You don't need a smartphone or a screenshot to see the difference:

Scroll down on the page you're looking at to the bottom left. There you can choose between "IP.Board" and "IP.Board Mobile".

If your signed in on C.net your last choice will be remembered in your account. After using the Mobile mode on my phone, my browser shows the Mobile mode on my PC as well.

If your signed in on C.net your last choice will be remembered in your account. After using the Mobile mode on my phone, my browser shows the Mobile mode on my PC as well.

I don't get that - having discovered the mobile version through this thread I've used it a few times already, and every time I get the mobile version on my phone and the full version on my PCs.

Which, IMNSHO, is just as it should be!

I don't get that - having discovered the mobile version through this thread I've used it a few times already, and every time I get the mobile version on my phone and the full version on my PCs.

Which, IMNSHO, is just as it should be!

see I believe what happens is that by default, your browser display on your PC is PC and on your mobile is mobile, but once you select a different view with the button mentioned, a cookie gets deposited on your respective gadget which overrides the default and then puts you into the different view w/ next login...

I think you're right on the spot with the picture displayed in the mobile view being the profile picture, not the avatar, btw.

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche