Early Extended Treble Edeophone With Glass Buttons

david robertson

This is a lovely example of an early Edeophone (No. 36875), still with the oval cartouche and paper label rather than the later 'Edeophone' metal scroll - though at this point in its evolution it had already acquired the 'Edeophone' thumbstrap adjusters. Best of all, it comes with the very desirable glass buttons.
When I bought it, it had a rather stiff set of 5-fold bellows, but I happened to have a later Edeophone whose ends were beyond repair, but which had a good 6-fold set, so I cannibalised it, and those are the bellows you see here.
Restoration work has included new pads, valves, dampers, bushings and straps. All chamois seals have been replaced, all woodwork has been stripped and refinished in French polish, and the instrument has been tuned to modern concert pitch.
It lacks its original case, but I will throw in an Aldi angler's bag, which has compartments enough for a few spares and a screwdriver, and a waterproof compartment for a pair of kippers.
I have now reduced the asking price to a miserly £2250 - or if you're in the mood for a gamble, it's currently listed on eBay with a starting bid of £1950 and no reserve. If you'd like to give it a test drive in Norwich, please send me a PM, or call me on 01603 702644.

Edited by david robertson

• 2 weeks later...

what is the status of the instrument? On your website it is listed as reserved.

Sorry about that - I must get round to updating the site! What happened was that between the buyer reserving the instrument and my completing the restoration, I bought the best Edeophone I have ever seen, and he bought that one instead.