Identifying The Bits

Can anyone point me in the direction of some sort of chart of the inner workings of the concertina, specifically an Anglo? (Don't know if there are differences?)

I recently acquired a lovingly-used Edgley C/G Anglo and have decided to put my Rochelle to an honorable "scientific" use and dissect it to see how they work. Bonus points if I can put it back together again! It would be helpful to know what all the bits are called, though. Charts, photos, YouTube videos...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by DKadyk

Can anyone point me in the direction of some sort of chart of the inner workings of the concertina, specifically an Anglo? (Don't know if there are differences?)

I recently acquired a lovingly-used Edgley C/G Anglo and find myself stuck with the Rochelle I started on. I've decided to give the Rochelle an honorable "scientific" end and dissect it to see how they work. Bonus points if I can put it back together again - but no great loss if I can't! It would be helpful to know what all the bits are called, though. Charts, photos, YouTube videos...any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd suggest you purchase a copy of David Elliott's Concertina Maintenance Manual and perhaps pass the Rochelle on to someone who can benefit from it as you did.

Edited by Mike Pierceall

If the Rochelle still works, ( they are pretty durable ) If you can't sell it, offer it for free to another beginner. You are not going to learn much useful from taking it to bits. They are more closely related to Accordions than even most hybrid concertinas like the majority of Edgelys. If it got you to go for something better rather than quit altogether, it has done it's job and deserves a new home.

Dana

There is a wonderful teacher here in southern Ontario that is single-handedly leading an anglo revival with a whole flock of young

students. I've been passing on good cheap and free boxes to him as i find them. I'm sure he'd be happy to pay postage from Pennsylvania if you are looking for a good home.

Edited by Bill N

Gosh, I didn't mean to worry folks about destroying an instrument - on the contrary, my intent was to look inside and learn (keys and reeds only - not the bellows), see how it works, then reassemble it, if possible, for continued use. I only meant to indicate that I wouldn't do that to a more expensive instrument. You all have pursuaded me to keep the Rochelle intact.

For now, I will continue reading and learning without opening it up! :)

But I really am interested in learning more about the inner workings. Thanks, Don, for the thread on looking inside the Jack/Jackie/Rochelle - that's fascinating!

And I will check out David Elliott's book, also - thank you for the recommendation.

DK

Edited by DKadyk

[M]y intent was to look inside and learn (keys and reeds only - not the bellows), see how it works, then reassemble it, if possible, for continued use. I only meant to indicate that I wouldn't do that to a more expensive instrument.

But I really am interested in learning more about the inner workings.

The problem, as hinted above, is that the innards of a Rochelle won’t tell you anything about how a “real” concertina is put together.

• 2 weeks later...