Rob Harbron all-day concertina workshop & evening performance 3rd.

On Saturday 3rd. March next year Rob leads an all-day workshop in Lewes and performs in the evening at the Lewes Saturday Folk Club with the Fay Hield Trio, Fay Hield (voice) and Sam Sweeney (fiddle). Fay and Sam are also leading all-day workshops on English traditional song and fiddle. Any of these would make a wonderful Christmas present for a singer, concertina player or fiddler. Full details and downloadable booking forms are also on the club website.

Best wishes for a merry Christmas and a happy New Year,

Valmai

Lewes Saturday Folk Club Workshop No 154

ROBERT HARBRON

http://www.robertharbron.co.uk/

CONCERTINA WORKSHOP

Places £35

Saturday 3rd. March 2012

10.45 a.m.- 4.45 p.m.

The Crown Inn, 191, High St, Lewes, BN7 2NA www.crowninn-lewes.co.uk/

Rob is widely considered the most important concertina player of his generation. He is known for his work with Dr. Faustus, Tim van Eyken, The English Acoustic Collective, Emma Reid, Kerr Fagan Harbon & the Fay Hield Trio. He has been a popular tutor for Folkworks, Hands-On Music, the International Concertina Association & a great many more.

The workshop will look at a number of techniques involved in developing a personal style of playing – phrasing, pulse, dynamics, ornamentation, fingering & use of the bellows. We will also look at some approaches to chords & harmony. Rob’s technical knowledge is mostly centered on the English system, but players of all systems are welcome as many aspects of the workshop apply to other types of concertina.

IN THE EVENING ROB PLAYS WITH THE FAY HIELD TRIO AT THE ELEPHANT & CASTLE

(£9: tickets available from website, club & address at the end of this form)

ROBERT HARBRON CONCERTINA WORKSHOP

Saturday 3rd. March 2012

Provisional Timetable

10.45 Registration & coffee; order lunch (refreshments not included).

11.00 Getting the basics right – posture, fingering, phrasing & the bellows

12.30 Lunch

13.30 Chords & harmony – three complimentary approaches

15.00 Tea/coffee break

15.15 Ornamentation & twiddly bits, and putting it all together

16.45 Finish

N.B. Booking is recommended as numbers are limited. Music, maps & accommodation lists will be sent in advance.

ROBERT HARBRON CONCERTINA WORKSHOP

Saturday 3rd. March 2012

BOOKING FORM

I enclose a cheque for £35.00 for workshop fees (refreshments not included).

Name:

Address:

Concertina system:

No. of tickets for evening performance (£9 each, include SAE for these):

Telephone:

E-mail address:

Tick for map: Tick for accommodation list:

Please make cheques payable to Lewes Arms Folk Club (that's right) and send with this booking form to:

Valmai Goodyear, 20, St. John's Terrace,

LEWES, East Sussex BN7 2DL

Tel. (01273) 476757

valmaigoodyear@aol.com

www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org/

Edited by Valmai Goodyear

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Would love to come. What's accomodation like in Lewes? B&B or Travelodge etc.

Sorry not to have replied before, I've only just picked this up. There are a lot of good b&bs in Lewes. I recommend this site: http://www.lewesbandb.co.uk/lewes-town/. I also recommend The Black Horse, 55 Western Road, Lewes BN7 1RS (http://www.bedandbreakfastdirect.co.uk/show_cotdetails.asp?cid=1778)especially as there will be an English tunes session there on Sunday 4th. March from noon - 2.30 p.m. led by Bryan Creer.

We have three workshop places left, and plenty of evening tickets.

Valmai

Ooh yes, must send in my booking form. I'll catch the trio in Bristol on the Friday night and probably get a 6am train on Saturday to get to the workshop. Not looking forward to that early start!

Hello, have you booked yet? I don't know what your real name is. There are two places left.

All the best,

Valmai

• 2 weeks later...

Rob's workshop is sold out but we can put any other interested people on a waiting list. Evening tickets are still available. There are several places left for Fay Hield's English traditional song workshop, and just one for Sam Sweeney's English fiddle workshop, so it's going to be a busy and exciting day.

• 2 weeks later...

Wotcha! Not being a driver I don't know if there's a way of avoiding the dreaded M25 unless you go by sea.

There isn't anything in Lewes that night, but there's a folk club in Seaford: http://www.seafordfolkclub.com/ about eight miles away. They have the Scottish band North Sea Gas (http://nsg.gplrank.info/) on Friday 2nd. March. I haven't heard them live but I believe they are very entertaining.

This is going to be a very exciting weekend. Rob's and Sam's workshops are full with waiting lists, there are only four places left in Fay's, and only seven tickets left for the evening performance at the Lewes Saturday Folk Club. I think we must have filled all the reasonably-priced b&bs in Lewes.

Valmai

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Fay Hield Trio in Bristol on Friday; workshop on Saturday; then the strange music thing and bellowhead on Sunday. Phew. A weekend stalking Rob Harbron. Huzzah.