The Quarry?

JayMiller

I love the tune posted in this thread on Wolverton Concertinas, but I can't find it anywhere:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19621

Direct link to the sound file:

https://wolvertonconcertinas.com/sound-samples/

Rather than derailing that thread I'll ask here--does anyone have the ABC or anything for this tune? Perhaps it's better known under a different name?

Thanks

Jay

If you can wait a few days, I'll post a pdf for you.

I pm'd Jake and he let me know it was in the Fiddler's Companion set of books, specifically "Slip Jigs & Waltzes" and I have all the books.

I'll transcribe it and post it here.

Robin

Great tune, eh ? Works really nicely in G on a G/D.

Done......the setting played in the sound clip is a little different from the setting in the Fiddler's Companion.

I've used the sound clip setting as I prefer it somewhat.......for instance, in the Fiddler's Companion there is no C# in the 3rd part but a C natural. To my ear, the C# sounds better.

Also, Noteworthy does not allow you to squeeze bars, so I have left out pick-up bars to make it look less clunky.

Robin

The Quarry.pdf

Done......the setting played in the sound clip is a little different from the setting in the Fiddler's Companion.

I've used the sound clip setting as I prefer it somewhat.......for instance, in the Fiddler's Companion there is no C# in the 3rd part but a C natural. To my ear, the C# sounds better.

Also, Noteworthy does not allow you to squeeze bars, so I have left out pick-up bars to make it look less clunky.

Robin

For those who (like me) can't sight-read, here's my attempt at the ABC:

X:1
T:Quarry, The
M:3/4
L:1/8
Q:140
N:Source, Wolverton Concertina web site/Robin Harrison
K:G
|: "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 d2 | "G" B2 G2 D2 | "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 F2 | G6 :|
|: "C" dc A2 d2 | "G" B2 G2 d2 | "G" dc AG FA | "G" G4 D2 | "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 F2 :|
[K:C]
|: "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "G" ag fe d^c | "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "G" ag fe d^c |d6 :|

Chords generated automagically by ABCExplorer 1.6.1. Any errors are entirely down to me...

Edited by lachenal74693

Note that the tune as played on Jake's site is in C, played on a C/G; and Robin's transcription is in G (as his main squeeze is a G/D -- right, Robin?) -- but of course, the fingers used to play each of these on those given instruments are the same.

(But to be clear for any newcomers to the anglo, if you're playing on a C/G, reading Robin's transcription, your fingers are doing something totally different than the player on Jake's recording.)

My question is, when one encounters this tune in the wild, what key is it normally played in, if there is a normal here?

And my other question is, where is one most likely to encounter this tune in the wild? Ireland (or some particular county)? England (any particular region)?

Edited by wayman

Robin

For those who (like me) can't sight-read, here's my attempt at the ABC:

|: "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 d2 | "G" B2 G2 D2 | "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 F2 | G6 :|
|: "C" dc A2 d2 | "G" B2 G2 d2 | "G" dc AG FA | "G" G4 D2 | "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 F2 :|
|: "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "G" ag fe d^c | "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "G" ag fe d^c |d6 :|

Chords generated automagically by ABCExplorer 1.6.1. Any errors are entirely down to me...

thank you Robin. A small detail - I think the long 'G' at the end of the second section is missing. this would need 'G6' added in a final bar for that section.

This is my attempt to write in that long g plus the pick up notes as mentioned in the earlier post. I hope I have got that right. Everything else is as written by Robin.

|: "G" |D2|"G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 d2 | "G" B2 G2 D2 | "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 F2 | G6 :|

|: "C"|d2|"C" dc A2 d2 | "G" B2 G2 d2 | "G" dc AG FA | "G" G4 D2 | "G" GF GA Bc | "G" d2 g2 B2 | "C" dc A2 F2 |G6:|

|: "C" |A2|"C"dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "G" ag fe d^c | "C" dA fA eA | "C" dA fA eA | "G" ag fe d^c |d6 :|

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

...thank you Robin. A small detail - I think the long 'G' at the end of the second section is missing. this would need 'G6' added in a final bar for that section.

This is my attempt to write in that long g plus the pick up notes as mentioned in the earlier post. I hope I have got that right. Everything else is as written by Robin....

Ta. I didn't have the ability/knowledge/nous to pick up the missing G or to add the pick-up notes.

That sounds much better than my home-grown ABC.

Nice tune!

Edited by lachenal74693

Will........I've never heard this before in the wild.......but in the Fiddler's Companion it is in "G".

I suspect thanks to Jake & C.net we will se it more.

It will be in the new edition of my Toronto English Session book.

Robin

...thank you Robin. A small detail - I think the long 'G' at the end of the second section is missing. this would need 'G6' added in a final bar for that section.

This is my attempt to write in that long g plus the pick up notes as mentioned in the earlier post. I hope I have got that right. Everything else is as written by Robin....

Ta. I didn't have the ability/knowledge/nous to pick up the missing G or to add the pick-up notes.

That sounds much better than my home-grown ABC.

Nice tune!

I think I should have said; as written by Robin for the score and by Lachenal74693 for the abc. Sorry for that omission. I agree it is a good tune.

I am so happy people are taking notice of this tune! It is a less well known tune and its great.

The 'folk process' in action, using 21st century technology innit? Cool!

I'll be continuing that process by passing it on to a few others once I've mucked about

with it a bit more...

The chords in the versions above are rather dubious. There were extra bar marks, and extra notes due to the pickup being added without the end being shortened.

I also suggest that the third line is in D Dorian, rather than in C.

So, my 'improved' version is

N:Source, Wolverton Concertina web site/Robin Harrison/etc
Q:1/4=140
D2|"G"GF GA Bc|d2 g2 B2|"D"dc A2 d2|"G"B2 G2 D2|GF GA Bc|d2 g2 B2|"D7"dc A2 F2|"G"G4:|
|:d2|"D"dc A2 d2|"G"B2 G2 d2|"D"dc AG FA|"G"G4 D2|GF GA Bc|d2 g2 B2|"D7"dc A2 F2|"G"G4:|
[K:Ddor]
|:A2|"Dm"dA fA eA|dA fA eA|dA fA eA|ag fe d^c|dA fA eA|dA fA eA|ag fe d^c|d4:|
Regards,

The chords in the versions above are rather dubious...

...I also suggest that the third line is in D Dorian, rather than in C.

So, my 'improved' version is...

Ta.

The chords in the version I posted were generated by ABCExplorer - I don't have the confidence

(yet) to allocate chords myself, but I've no doubt the generated chords were a bit dodgy. I'm also

not in the least bit surprised that I missed the fact that the third line was Ddor as opposed to C...

I also was trying to reconcile the extra bar mark/notes with adjusting the ends. This is probably easy

for you, but is quite difficult when you are a musical numptie like me. I do this sort of thing as a matter

of course, and every time I do it, I learn just that little bit more...

Edited by lachenal74693

So here it is in 'Plain English' (?) in both keys, with chords etc as above, hopefully without errors.

Session people will like it in G I expect but on a C/G Anglo, C is appealing, with plenty of headroom for chords (if you have better skills than me)

Rob

I have just revised the file to indicate the sources kindly provided by others.

The Quarry (in G and C).pdf

Edited by Robin Tims

I am highly embarrassed to see that I inadvertently and unforgivably left off the source references in the 'dots' version pdf and tender my apologies to all concerned.

I will add these and repost/replace as soon as I have the opportunity, hopefully later today. NOW DONE !

Rob

Edited by Robin Tims