Out Of The Box

Sometimes interesting recordings appear on very small labels and with very little fanfare and distribution. Years of valuable listening time can pass by before you realise the CD is out there! In this context I hope I may be allowed to draw attention to a new CD from Will Duke. It contains 13 instrumental tracks (including nine tunes from Scan Tester) and 6 songs - all of them solo performances and all of them - in my opinion - excellent.

Will is frequently heard in various groups and his gentle music often gets lost in the sound, even when you're sitting next to him, so to hear him playing entirely on his own is a rare treat. I think all Anglo players and those with an interest in the English Style will find this recording irresistible.

It is available from Will Duke, 41 Dallas Lane, Barcombe, East Sussex, BN8 5DZ for £10.00 + £1.00 postage. (email:willlawrenceduke@hotmail.com).

Thanks for your understanding for this post.

All best wishes,

Roger

Edited by Roger Digby

Even though I have not heard any of Will's recordings I can recommend this CD. Like Roger I have played alongside Will on a number of occasions and from an initial style which was a replica of his idol Scan Tester ,Will has moved it on to create a style of playing that is distinctly his own.It is still based on octave playing ,but Will seems to be able to slip in more notes to the inch than any player I know. Recorded at Jim Ward's house which is becoming quite a production line for superb Folk CDs.

Al

I have heard Will play many a time, especially with his duo partner Dan Quinn, on melodeon and with Bob Davenport and Flowers and Frolics, which features Roger Digby on anglo too. To hear him play solo, is a real treat. He has developed a lovely economical style of playing that nevertheless sounds very full. I will (no pun intended} definitely be buying a copy of his new CD.

Chris

Any idea if there's a good way to order this from the US? I suppose I could try to talk Button Box into stocking it...

Even though I have not heard any of Will's recordings I can recommend this CD. Like Roger I have played alongside Will on a number of occasions and from an initial style which was a replica of his idol Scan Tester ,Will has moved it on to create a style of playing that is distinctly his own.It is still based on octave playing ,but Will seems to be able to slip in more notes to the inch than any player I know. Recorded at Jim Ward's house which is becoming quite a production line for superb Folk CDs.

Al

I have edited my original post to change the ordering address. Country Branch produce the CD, but do not market it. (Apologies, Jim, for any inconvenience.)

Will tells me that overseas buyers should be able to get the CD from Musical Traditions (www.mustrad.org.uk) using Paypal.

Best wishes,

Roger

Any idea if there's a good way to order this from the US? I suppose I could try to talk Button Box into stocking it...

This sounds like something they would definitely want to add to their catalogue. Why not phone or email Doug and bring it to his attention, just in case he isn't already aware of it?

I have heard Will play many a time, especially with his duo partner Dan Quinn, on melodeon and with Bob Davenport and Flowers and Frolics, which features Roger Digby on anglo too. To hear him play solo, is a real treat. He has developed a lovely economical style of playing that nevertheless sounds very full. I will (no pun intended} definitely be buying a copy of his new CD.

Chris

Only found this http://www.folkmusic.net/htmfiles/webrevs/hebecd001.htm when I searched for Will Duke.

Chas

Thanks, Roger. Here is the link if others are interested.

Daniel

I have edited my original post to change the ordering address. Country Branch produce the CD, but do not market it. (Apologies, Jim, for any inconvenience.)

Will tells me that overseas buyers should be able to get the CD from Musical Traditions (www.mustrad.org.uk) using Paypal.

Best wishes,

Roger

Stop press Here is an opportunity for anyone living in the London area to see and hear Will Duke and Dan Quinn in person. They are appearing on thursday Apr 17 at the Islington Folk Club at The Horseshoe pub, 24 Clerkenwell Close, EC1R 0AG

Described as two of this country's leading purveyors of English folk, they play traditional melodies on anglo concertina and melodeon and sing.

Details:

Islington Folk Club at The Horseshoe, 24 Clerkenwell Close, EC1R 0AG

Time: 8pm-11pm

Price: £7, mems £5

Tube: Farringdon

Chris

Having just returned from their gig this evening, I have to report that they were both in excellent form and incoporated some nice new material in their sets. I was also able to buy a copy of Will Duke's new CD 'Out Of The Box'. I will listen to it when I have some free time and report back.

Chris

Sometimes interesting recordings appear on very small labels and with very little fanfare and distribution. Years of valuable listening time can pass by before you realise the CD is out there! In this context I hope I may be allowed to draw attention to a new CD from Will Duke. It contains 13 instrumental tracks (including nine tunes from Scan Tester) and 6 songs - all of them solo performances and all of them - in my opinion - excellent.

Will is frequently heard in various groups and his gentle music often gets lost in the sound, even when you're sitting next to him, so to hear him playing entirely on his own is a rare treat. I think all Anglo players and those with an interest in the English Style will find this recording irresistible.

It is available from Will Duke, 41 Dallas Lane, Barcombe, East Sussex, BN8 5DZ for £10.00 + £1.00 postage. (email:willlawrenceduke@hotmail.com).

Thanks for your understanding for this post.

All best wishes,

Roger

I see Will Duke will be a Sidmouth this year. Catch them there.

Chas

CD arrived this morning on my day off, so I have been able to listen to it straight away. Brilliant. Vintage Will Duke. I can never work out where all the notes come from! This is a must have for English style Anglo players and it will be an education for everyone else!