Wooden Ended Jeffries In Flat Keys

PaddyLosty

In my time playing, I've come across two different 26 button wooden ended Jeffries in C/G. In both cases, the owners loved them, and I was very impressed with the sound. I'm well set for my C/G concertina, but I've been lusting after a Bb/F and an A/E (or Ab/Eb) for quite some time.

Has anyone ever come across one of those older 26 button wooden Jeffries boxes in Bb/F? I've never seen one myself, maybe they don't exist. But if they are out there, I will be on the hunt! I've heard of one in Ab/Eb (Greg Jowaisas had one) but wasn't looking at the time.

Thanks!

I have played a Jeffries wooden ended 20 key in Bf/F and also a 26 key one which had been Bf/F but then a nice job had been done of bringing it up to C/G. Both were gorgeous but the 20 key in particular had stunning reeds.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played a Jeffries wooden ended 20 key in Bf/F and also a 26 key one which had been Bf/F but then a nice job had been done of bringing it up to C/G. Both were gorgeous but the 20 key in particular had stunning reeds.

So one at least did exist.

• 10 months later...

Hello, sorry to take so long to reply, Yes a 26 Bflat F, it was made at 12 Aldershot Rd, by Charles Jnr, so mid 1920s i imagine, Hobgoblin in Bath had it, i had always thought they were bought in these wooden ended ones, but much to my surprise it is a superb machine, i find the button spacing a bit different to my my others, but the tone is superb, when Theo had a 26 button CG for sale a year or so ago i was so tempted, i don't have a metal ended Jeffries so can't compare, would love one, but they cost more than my house did many years ago.