How Do I Use Audacity Recording Software

Dre

How do I hear an already recorded portion of an track while recording another one.Every time I try to record i cant hear the beat in my headphones and I get off beat.

- be sure that you have plugged your ear phones in the right way

- you general output control should be at a sufficient level

- your track should not be muted

- individual track volume control should be at sufficient level

(see attachment)

post-37-1136784217_thumb.jpg

How do I hear an already recorded portion of an track while recording another one.Every time I try to record i cant hear the beat in my headphones and I get off beat.

I'll have to get back to you on that. I have some stuff I need to do tonight--sleep for starts--and I'll be on the road till 5, EST tomorrow. At that time, I'll open Audacity, and see if I can help you. In the meantime, some other reader will probably jump right on your question.

Good luck,

Jim

In the Help, look in Other, then Preferences, and there should be a section on Audio I/O, with a subsection "Play other tracks while recording new one."

Depending on your version of Audacity, the Preferences submenu where you need to select the setting may be under either the File menu or the Edit menu.

Let me know if that works for you. If not, there's a more brutal -- but somewhat dangerous -- way to make it work.

Open Audacity

Open FILE

Open Preferences (in FILE)

Click the Audio I/O tab

Check box in "Play other tracks while recording new one"

Click OK

I sat down with the program earlier today, and used a bunch of 4 letter word computer language, because I couldn't hear my click track either. Then I started looking around till I found the Preferences menu and did what I have described to you.

Good luck. Check with Jim Lucas for brutal dangerous ways to make it work. If you dare.

Jim

Open Audacity

Open FILE

Open Preferences (in FILE)

[...]

That's version 1.2 and before. In version 1.2.4, Preferences is under the Edit menu.

Check with Jim Lucas for brutal dangerous ways to make it work. If you dare.

I did that by editing the Registry, but it's not something I recommend. I only did it because my Preferences menu lost all its tabs, except "Mouse", so "Audio I/O" wasn't available for me to use. I tried reinstalling, but still have the same problem. It's weird! And the tabs used to all be there, so their disappearance is all the more puzzling, since I hadn't changed any settings. I asked for help in the Audacity forum, but nobody responded. That's the only reason I even looked in the Registry, since changing things there without knowing what you're doing can cause really important things to stop working. :ph34r: