I Want To Buy A Concertina, But I Have Questions.

It seems to me that there are a number of things you should take into consideration:

What style of music do you want to play? If you're into Irish music, traditionally the concertina used by Irish players is the Anglo. For Southern English/Morris tunes, also Anglo, but for the Northern traditions then perhaps the English. The English system was originally designed with classical music in mind. Of course, all styles of music can be played on all types of concertina, but some are better suited than others.

Which players have you listened to? If someone has inspired you, and you want to play like them, then it follows you need to be playing the same type of instrument. If you want to play like John Kirkpatrick, then you need an Anglo, and you'd struggle to get a similar sound out of an English. If you want to play like Alistair Anderson, then get an English.

You appear to place great emphasis on a fully chromatic instrument. The Anglo is theoretically chromatic (with enough buttons) but is best played in or near its home keys. The English and Duet are fully chromatic. But if you're playing traditional music (at least from the British tradition) then most tunes are not chromatic. For this reason I don't understand your problem with the tin whistle - you should be able to play most Irish tunes on it, and for the occasional accidental there are alternative fingerings you need to learn. If you're trying to play fully chromatic music on it, perhaps you're using the wrong instrument. Just because an instrument appears limited, it doesn't mean its not worth playing, you just have to play to its strengths.

With most instruments it pays to get the best you can afford. Cheap instruments don't respond as well, don't feel so good to play and don't sound so good, so they're harder and simply less rewarding to play. This is particularly true of concertinas as the mechanical condition, as well as the original build quality, is so important.

You could be suffering from information overload 'bout now me thinks. I would just urge you lay hands on both systems AC & EC and perhaps Duet. One will work better with your brain I'll wager. What type of music is a minor consideration in my experience.

As to Irish Traditional Music...the only ones at a session who might even notice the difference are other concertinists or box players. That's down the road. What is important is playing what works for your learning style.

I played at AC for years and didn't get very far. Irish music turned me on to the EC odd as that may seem. I dropped that AC box like a hot tater and never looked back. It was as if I had been released from heavy iron shackles.

I've rarely run into the rusty crusty types that got their shorts in a knot because of the type of box I played. Only question is then, can you play the instrument. That established, most folks move on to what we all love...the music.

Edited by Mark Evans

You could be suffering from information overload 'bout now me thinks. I would just urge you lay hands on both systems AC & EC and perhaps Duet. One will work better with your brain I'll wager. What type of music is a minor consideration in my experience.

As to Irish Traditional Music...the only ones at a session who might even notice the difference are other concertinists or box players. That's down the road. What is important is playing what works for your learning style.

I played at AC for years and didn't get very far. Irish music turned me on to the EC odd as that may seem. I dropped that AC box like a hot tater and never looked back. It was as if I had been released from heavy iron shackles.

I've rarely run into the rusty crusty types that got their shorts in a knot because of the type of box I played. Only question is then, can you play the instrument. That established, most folks move on to what we all love...the music.

I agree with Mark on the first point, you need to see for yourself which system your brain is most comfortable with. For me, I found the Anglo made sense - I could understand having the chords in one hand and the tune in the other - whereas I just can't get my head around the English, although I understand its logic.

So far as type of music is concerned, again I agree with Mark, but only up to a point. If you just want to play along in sessions, then yes, if you can play the instrument to a certain level then that will be sufficient. However, to get the "lift" that Irish reels or Morris tunes demand is harder with the English than with the Anglo. On the other hand, for more flowing music the English is easier. Either system can play both styles of music , but to play the music well requires more technique with one system compared with the other.

If you aspire to play well, then it will be easier in the long run if you choose the system whose strengths suit the music you want to play. In the short run, though, it might be harder, particularly when you're just starting, and especially if you're teaching yourself and don't have access to tuition. If you only aspire to be competent then it might be easier to go with the system you're most comfortable with at the beginning and not worry about musical styles.

If you just want to play along in sessions, then yes, if you can play the instrument to a certain level then that will be sufficient. However, to get the "lift" that Irish reels or Morris tunes demand is harder with the English than with the Anglo. On the other hand, for more flowing music the English is easier.....

If you aspire to play well, then it will be easier in the long run if you choose the system whose strengths suit the music you want to play. In the short run, though, it might be harder, particularly when you're just starting, and especially if you're teaching yourself and don't have access to tuition. If you only aspire to be competent then it might be easier to go with the system you're most comfortable with at the beginning and not worry about musical styles.

Wish I could agree with you. "Lift" or bounce is possible and very easy on the English. Evidence can be found on this site and I mention just one member who impressed me recently: Henrik and his little demon Stagi.

That it is AC and not EC which entered the TIM world is by chance only and those original German 20 button instruments bear little resemblance or performance to the standard diatonic concertinas used today.

Personally, what I do with my EC in TIM has more to do with the articulation I admire in the artistry of a number of fiddlers and plectrum string players it has been my privilege to work with. Do I listen to the anglo players? Yup, and when it suits me, I lift their licks too. Spent close to a month stealing the "lift" off Mr. Hill on the Concertina Reel. Smoke must just pour off that cat while he's playin'!

Crossing traditional lines is not for everybody, but for those so inclined and capable, it can be done and how! A motto I adopted for myself when I hit 40 was "no more rules, unless it suits me...momentarily."

It has suited me well for, it brought me back to a number of traditional genre .

I don't want to get involved in an argument about AC verses EC wrangled out completely here before. Most choose rightly towards the accepted. A few choose another path and it in no way disgraces or denigrates TIM. With my lack of ability on the AC 20 plus years ago, I was entertaining experimentation with TIM on bluegrass banjo! :blink: In my hands, that would have been an abomination:ph34r: .

I did not mean to highjack this thread and for doing so apologize.

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, that just about sums up the concertina situation in my area...

I ended up at that music store to look at another instrument entirely today. The concertina was terrible- leaky and a bit wheezy- and in addition to just being shoddy it was also not even a 30 key! it was a plain old chinese hohner 20 key. *shakes head*