Sliabh Luachra concertina players?

Dan A

Hey all,

I've been listening to a lot of Terry Teahan recently, all off the great 'Old Time Irish Music in America' album. It got me on to thinking how the liner notes, as well as other sources, mention the numbers of concertina players in Kerry and Cork around the turn of the century - among them Padraig o'Keeffe, his mother and sister, Johnny Mickey whathisname who influenced Jackie Daly, and others. I'm curious as to what recordings exist of other concertina players from Sliabh Luachra in the first half of the 20th century. Did most of them have the same style as Terry Teahan, I suppose: low on ornamentation, occasional octaves or rhythmic bass notes, good pulse in the bellows. What other players were recorded in that time frame? And for that matter, is there more of Terry Teahan's music out there as well?

--Dan

I believe Tim Collins references a few in the liner notes of his CD "Dancing on Silver". As the borders are somewhat fuzzy on the region, I would broaden the search to any Southwest Limerick, East Kerry, and West Cork players. I suspect the concertina would have been a household instrument played by many in the region, and sadly not a largely recorded instrument. See you in western Mass for the button box workshop. Registration is up, and I am signed up.

• 1 month later...

michelle o'sullivan is a notable sliabh luachra concertina player who i have watched with great enjoyment a number of times during willie clancy week, particularly in that one pub where jackie daly and the kerry free-reed mafia hold enthralled onlookers hostage for hours the afternoon of the accordion recital. her bellows articulation express a very SL sense of phrasing and movement; i have also enjoyed watching her late at night sessioning with joe burke, eileen o'brien and other wizards in the bellbridge and such....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW8xlp-_iNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftld5oyl0Rg

don't forget jackie daly's own concertina playing, which i find exquisite....

Edited by ceemonster