19 replies to this topic

#1 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

One keeps encountering references here and there to growing interest in concertina among a new, burgeoning crop of young Irish traditional music players, Clare and elsewhere.  This came up more than once in the last couple of years a propos of the Fleadh in Ennis, but I've seen/heard it elsewhere as well.

So the question comes to mind . . . Where are they getting their instruments?  Surely there wouldn't be enough vintage examples out there, if it's really a growing trend.  Are some playing quality hybrids?  Are many  ordering from modern makers?

Edited by ceemonster, 11 January 2018 - 07:57 PM.

#2 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2128 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:47 AM

A growing  interest  yes , but perhaps  the numbers  are not in the thousands  ?.   Instruments from  Jurgen Sutner , C&R Dipper, Wally Carroll, Chris Ghent  etc. augment the  supply of  vintage models  and then there are  those making the  hybrid  types available  in larger numbers.

#3 Halifax

Halifax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

The 4 new concertina players in my town are playing:

Morse hybrids (2)

Rochelle (1)

and one unknown (but I'm curious to find out!)

#4 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

I understand it's not in the thousands.   But I heard it from two separate sources, that it was astonishing the numbers of very adept young trad players in Ennis both years for Fleadh Cheol, burning it up on concertina.  I've also heard it anecdotally outside the Fleadh context, that concertina is a hot choice at the moment for young trad tyros.  Outside Ireland it's a different thing, and that's not what I'm wondering about---In Ireland, young trad players who become adept are not screwing around with Rochelles.    Whether hybrid or not, they're using fast, responsive instruments.  I'm fascinated to know if they're largely ordering from new makers nowadays, or what.  Maybe you're right, Geoff, and there are still enough vintage examples around to supply them, but I'm skeptical about that when it comes to Anglos.  Maybe they get going on those very responsive hybrids now made in Ireland, and then order from Suttner/Dipper/Carroll.  Certainly in North America the Morses and Edgleys will take you anywhere you need to go technically.

Edited by ceemonster, 12 January 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#5 Lawrence Reeves

Lawrence Reeves

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

I think we should consider the youngest players get Lachenals, or Wheatstones, Jones, etc to start on. There are good new makes available. Suttner, 7 Mount, and Claro are very popular. Barleycorn and others trade in several high quality vintage every month for sure. The other thing to consider is that almost every teacher has a lead on new and quality vintage to put into young hands. Brokers in Ireland, both popular and cottage industries come up with the goods when asked.

#6 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

This came up more than once in the last couple of years a propos of the Fleadh in Ennis,

FWIW, I spent some time wandering around the Fleadh this year, I thought I might as well while it was near (I wouldn't travel to it). I walked around during the daytime and took snaps of musicians playing in the street.  Spot the concertinas in this selection and see what's being played.. Pics will be up for a week.

Fleadh17001.jpg

Fleadh17002.jpg

Fleadh17003.jpg

Fleadh17004.jpg

Fleadh17005.jpg

Fleadh17006.jpg

Fleadh17007.jpg

Fleadh17009.jpg

Fleadh17008.jpg

Fleadh17010.jpg

Fleadh17011.jpg

Fleadh17012.jpg

Fleadh17013.jpg

Fleadh17014.jpg

Fleadh17015.jpg

#7 nicx66

nicx66

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Peter, the fourth photo down really put a smile on my face! You see what can happen even when your tapping foot is broke. These kids will rule the world one day...

#8 Mike Franch

Mike Franch

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

I loved them all, especially the 9th photo. Irish music is for everyone, and being Irish is an expanding concept.

#9 Hereward

Hereward

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

This is so heartwarming: to see a load of nippers with our beloved instrument. Makes the world a brighter place, so it does.

#10 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:33 AM

Ha, just caught up with seeing these marvellous photos---Thanks so much for posting them, Peter.  The young'uns are super, and so are these shots.  One of my informants was Monsignor Charlie Coen, who could not get over all the concertinas.  Tickled, naturally.

Hmmmm, well, clearly not Stagis, though not sure of much beyond that.  There do seem to be some vintage, though in many cases could be newer or vintage.  Mind, I'm not taking a position about my OP question.  It's an inquiring-minds-are-wondering question.  It'd be fun to take a survey.  Perhaps the Consairtin annual event would yield intel.  

#11 lachenal74693

lachenal74693

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

...Maybe you're right, Geoff, and there are still enough vintage examples around to supply them, but I'm skeptical about that when it comes to Anglos....

This is hearsay, but I have been told that there is a small(ish) but constant 'flow' of vintage Anglos westwards across the Irish

Sea to satisfy the demand in Ireland. Apparently, the instruments are sometimes re-tuned to accommodate the 'requirements'

of ITM. This is fine, but it occurs to me that this effectively reduces the number of vintage Anglos available here in England. I

have had one conversation with a dealer which would tend to support this story.

Urban myth, or what?

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693, 14 January 2018 - 07:45 AM.

#12 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2128 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

...Maybe you're right, Geoff, and there are still enough vintage examples around to supply them, but I'm skeptical about that when it comes to Anglos....

This is hearsay, but I have been told that there is a small(ish) but constant 'flow' of vintage Anglos westwards across the Irish

Sea to satisfy the demand in Ireland. Apparently, the instruments are sometimes re-tuned to accommodate the 'requirements'

of ITM. This is fine, but it occurs to me that this effectively reduces the number of vintage Anglos available here in England. I

have had one conversation with a dealer which would tend to support this story.

Urban myth, or what?

Roger

No, probably not  a myth  Roger.

If you look at the difference  in  the current prices  of a good   Wheatstone English, say a metal ended 48key hex  and a good  Wheatstone  30key Anglo  ,  I think this shows  the effect of the  Irish market.  As the EC is not much  used in ITM  the values are  more UK  and 'rest of the world'... but  the 'must have'  effect of the  Irish musician creates  an inward flow of  Anglos  to Ireland  ... It is market forces.

I make the Uilleann Pipes , and where is my main market ?  Ireland ! 

Edited by Geoff Wooff, 14 January 2018 - 10:29 AM.

#13 RAc

RAc

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

This came up more than once in the last couple of years a propos of the Fleadh in Ennis,

FWIW, I spent some time wandering around the Fleadh this year, I thought I might as well while it was near (I wouldn't travel to it). I walked around during the daytime and took snaps of musicians playing in the street.  Spot the concertinas in this selection and see what's being played.. Pics will be up for a week.

Can't get started early enough on the "concertina face," I guess... :D

Thanks, lovely pictures!

Edited by RAc, 14 January 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#14 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have been told that there is a small(ish) but constant 'flow' of vintage Anglos westwards across the Irish Sea to satisfy the demand in Ireland.

As Geoff says, market forces. Dealers come over to sell concertinas (flutes and fiddles as well and accordions, whatever is in demand). Even decades ago at festivals (vintage) instruments would be sold out of the back of a car, or from rooms/shops rented for the duration. It's nothing new and with so many aspiring players, it is not likely to stop any time soon. 

#15 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

I remember witnessing examples of that phenom in the Miltown area during Clancy week in the early/mid oughts.  I saw one of the recurring Willie Week dealer characters plying his trade in and around a couple of the trad pubs that since closed, and was astonished to see concertina mamas rendez-vousing with him and eager to plunk over the dosh--lots of it, too---without even trying to get a look inside the things, or have somebody knowledgeable do so.

Edited by ceemonster, 15 January 2018 - 01:48 AM.

#16 lachenal74693

lachenal74693

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:48 AM

...concertina mamas...

<off-topic on>

Hm! Is that the concertina equivalent of the much-loved(*) phrase 'yummy mummy'?

Roger

(*) Much-loved in this neck of the woods, anyway...

<off-topic off>

Edited by lachenal74693, 15 January 2018 - 02:53 AM.

#17 Peter Laban

Peter Laban

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:05 AM

No. More like football mammies.

#18 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members