Hudson's hornpipe

Johanna

I've been annoying my neighbors with this tune for so long, I thought I'd annoy you all with it as well. :) It is so much fun to play, I can't help myself - how often do you come across tunes in the Lydian mode?

The tune is by Sam Sweeney. I learned it off the Bellowhead CD (Hedonism, where it precedes Parson's Farewell) and various Bellowhead and Kerfuffle videos. Played on a Jack, transposed down a fifth from the original key to get it to fit.

hudson's hornpipe.mp3

You're right that's pretty, different and neatly played, so driving the neighbours potty has paid off at last!

Stupid question from the non-folkie...To me it sounds very like the sort of incidental music the BBC would have used in a childrens' program; you know the sort of thing, the narrator says 'Sammy Squirrel rushed all around the town looking for Elvis Otter.' and you see a concerned animated figure dashing about looking in all the houses of Toytown, or whatever. Did Sam Sweeney do this sort of work?

According to the biography on his webpage, Sam Sweeney was born in 1989. That suggests to me that his tune writing is less likely to have been influenced by working on BBC children's programs than by watching them. But I don't know for sure.

Nicely played Johanna! Sam Sweeney is an emerging young talent who's been around so long he's beginning to look like an old hand despite his youth. Well known for playing with Kerfuffle he's also making a name for himself in his own right. I like the tune but I have to say there are bits that strongly remind me of the Playford tune

Pete.

I haven't written it out, but I certainly could. Would you rather have the key I play it in or the key Sam plays it in?

Either is fine as long as I know which key is which. Anything I work on quickly gets moved to ABC and added to my reference collection (I lose paper much too easily). So I can easily transpose between them.

Thanks!

According to the biography on his webpage, Sam Sweeney was born in 1989. That suggests to me that his tune writing is less likely to have been influenced by working on BBC children's programs than by watching them. But I don't know for sure.

And, also, according to Sam Sweeney, this is how this tune, a maggot, got renamed Hudson's Hornpipe. He says "Once upon a time, I came back from a trip to Norway and whilst sitting on the toilet, this tune popped into my head. I dedicated it to my friend Hannah for her birthday and named it after her new dog, Hudson. So, ‘Hudson’s Hornpipe’ became the first tune in the instrumental track ‘Parson’s Farewell’ on Hedonism."

Chris

I haven't written it out, but I certainly could. Would you rather have the key I play it in or the key Sam plays it in?

Either is fine as long as I know which key is which. Anything I work on quickly gets moved to ABC and added to my reference collection (I lose paper much too easily). So I can easily transpose between them.

Thanks!

Here it is in the original key. Sorry about the funny clef - I accidentally typed the whole tune out in the wrong octave, and figured it would be easier to change the clef than to redo the whole thing.

hudson's hornpipe.pdf

Here it is in the original key. Sorry about the funny clef - I accidentally typed the whole tune out in the wrong octave, and figured it would be easier to change the clef than to redo the whole thing.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense but do you mean the whole thing should be up one octave? Surely it can't go down an octave because that's out of the range of a violin and I would have thought Sam would have written it in the normal treble range.

It should start on the D just above middle C. I typed it out an octave too low, so I put it in a transposing clef (the little "8" at the bottom of the treble clef) so that the dots appear on the right lines. If you ignore the "8" then it is correct.

Sorry if I'm not making sense - maybe I should just go back and redo it properly.