Understand Chord use and the English Concertina

StephenTx

I guess Prof. Danny RatFace will not mind me referring to his arrangement of "Michael Turner's waltz" (which tune itself has in fact been conceived by W. A. Mozart, master of simplicity and beauty).

In case you don't know this sheet already (or you do, anyway), you might try a start from here...

BTW: Thank you, John, for your always inspiring and uplifting contributions!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John wrote: "but it seems to me that the EC is not really a "chording machine", like the Anglo "

I chord and play counter melodies all the time. In our arrangement of Django Reinhart's Nuages I chord a D7 with flatted 9th or a sustaining D with pass through chording of D7(+9) to Augmented A with the 7th.

But you did say the EC players may see it differently.

rss

Randy,

A real expert can do almost anything with almost anything! ;)

Remember, this thread is for beginners. And I bet your EC didn't give you that D-D7(+9)-A+ sequence "mechanically" - you probably had to think about it. My Anglo "chording machine" sometimes comes up with quite surprisingly sophisticated chords, but I've no idea what you call them, because the mechanisms behind them are transparent to the user - or at least, they are to me.:P

Cheers,

John

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

John wrote: "but it seems to me that the EC is not really a "chording machine", like the Anglo "

I chord and play counter melodies all the time. In our arrangement of Django Reinhart's Nuages I chord a D7 with flatted 9th or a sustaining D with pass through chording of D7(+9) to Augmented A with the 7th.

rss

Randy,

A real expert can do almost anything with almost anything! ;)

Remember, this thread is for beginners. And I bet your EC didn't give you that D-D7(+9)-A+ sequence "mechanically" - you probably had to think about it. My Anglo "chording machine" sometimes comes up with quite surprisingly sophisticated chords, but I've no idea what you call them, because the mechanisms behind them are transparent to the user - or at least, they are to me.:P

Cheers,

John

Point well made though expert is well overstated.

I practice arpeggios and scales daily and while such chording isn't always intuitive it does become easier and understandable with this practice. Not to mention muscle memory...

rss

I practice arpeggios and scales daily and while such chording isn't always intuitive it does become easier and understandable with this practice. Not to mention muscle memory...

This is also a point well made! No amount of theory will make you a good player without this kind of practice.

And please note, Randy said "daily!"

Cheers,

John

rss

I play Anglo and have been working at transferring my guitar and melodeon experience to it.

In working out an arrangement , if I need one to augment the melody with more than ornaments, I find it hepful to play the melody notes and make a 2 note chord (diad) againts them missing out the 3rd note eg. CG for the C(E)G C major chord

It serves for both major and minor chords too.

Just play the melody notes and 'hunt and peck' till you get a nice sound. I agree with John you don't really need to know much and I'm sure that's how music evolved.

There is a nice harmonic feel that seems pretty universal and , although we have become culturally educated to new 'dischords' and sometimes weird sounds the easy way works pretty well for a beginner.

I play a lot of Carolan tunes , which are given in the O'Sullivan tune book as 'top lines' only - with a mate who is a guitarist who adopts lots of open tunings and makes up his own chord shapes for interesting chords but my simple chords don't intrude , and as a melodic player, mainly, we get along fine usually.

When I sing I go for a fuller sound but again keep it simple

...another tutor you might want to look at is "Concertina Workshop--Tutor for the English Concertina" by Alistair Anderson. I must have printed this from somewhere here in c.net, but I do not know where. I am just going into this tutor, it has some terrific sycopated/dotted swing-y tunes and discussions of chords and alternate fingerings.

good luck in your fun Michelle

It's available as a PDF download on free-reed.co.uk: http://www.free-reed...tinaworkhop.pdf