:unsure:

I've noticed in a few recent posts the text ": unsure :" (but without the spaces*). That used to give an "unsure" emoticon, one I've used a lot, and I wondered if that particular emoticon had been decommissioned. Just now I was looking at an old post of mine, and also there the text was displayed, rather than the icon. A bit of quick experimenting in the editor shows me that the graphic list of emoticons shows a blank where unsure "should" be, and the "Show All" display shows the text "unsure.gif" where the graphic icon should be.

My tentative conclusion is that the unsure.gif file has been moved or deleted from concertina.net's emoticon library. (I believe it should be at http://www.concertina.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif, but that address gives "File not found".) I hope it can be restored. I miss being able to express my uncertainty. ;)

* I've added the spaces in that "quoting" of the text behind the emoticon, so that if this problem is corrected, this post will still make sense.

I miss being able to express my uncertainty. ;)

I'm unsure what has happened. Browser issue?

:unsure: What are you guys talking about? :unsure:

Jim,

Obviously some of us have the emoticon. Computer ignoramus that I am :blink: , I'll defer to

Peter :rolleyes: and second a browser problem. ;)

Greg

Edited to get my emoticons right!!

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I miss being able to express my uncertainty. ;)

I'm unsure what has happened. Browser issue?

Wow!

Apparently it is.

But
bizarre
!

Because my usual browser (SeaMonkey) seems unable to find that particular .GIF file (unsure.gif), though it can find and display other files in the same directory (e.g., wacko.gif). That's why I previously assumed that it wasn't a browser issue, but rather that the file itself was missing. But I've now tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer, and both of them can find and display the unsure.gif icon (as well as wacko.gif, etc.).

I'm having difficulty imagining a programming bug which could cause that "missing file" behavior for one and (as far as I know) only one particular file name, especially when it had no trouble displaying that icon as recently as last week, and it's been a year or more since I've applied any updates of any sort to my SeaMonkey browser.

I guess I need to contact the SeaMonkey developers, but I'm curious as to whether anyone here has any idea as to how such a bug could occur.

The file could still be missing - just the other browsers are taking it from cache and your browser is calling it afresh each time... Unlikely but it could explain the behavior.

Unlikely! :unsure:

Very
unlikely!

If any browser would be taking the file from cache, it should be the one (SeaMonkey) that I use for concertina.net almost every day, not the one (Internet Explorer) that hasn't seen concertina.net for months, much less the one (FireFox) that I've never before used to view concertina.net.

The file could still be missing - just the other browsers are taking it from cache and your browser is calling it afresh each time... Unlikely but it could explain the behavior.

Unlikely in the extreme. I just emptied my cache and reloaded this page, all the :unsure: 's intact.

Bizarre!

After more than a week of seeing text instead of the :unsure: icon, during which I completely shut down my computer several times, suddenly this morning the icon has returned, though I hadn't even closed my browser since the last time the icon was missing.

I doubt we ever will know the cause. :unsure: ;)

And I now have more urgent things to do than investigate further.