For Sale in Ireland: Edgley Professional Model Anglo Concertina in C/G

Gan Ainm

[Ordinarily, discussion as to price takes place privately between the vendor and those with a genuine interest in purchase.]

this is untrue. sellers sometimes post instruments with no price, inviting private inquiries, which they remain free to do, but more often they name a price to save themselves the hassle of replying to countless price inquiries that aren't going to go anywhere. this is particularly true with lower-price instruments, although these days, hybrid concertinas are not low priced by any means. you see the price-less postings more often with vintage concertinas, but even with those, sellers often post the price. and discussion goes on here about prices of for-sale concertinas all the time, whether it concerns postings here or on ebay or anywhere else. there was recently a lively discussion here of the price on a used morse ceili with substantial cosmetic wear, and it won't be the last....

no one is seeking "advice" and there hasn't been an "intervention" in anyone's sale. no one has been hampered from being able to "initially ask" whatever price they wanted. the original poster wished to comment to the world that they are asking for their VAT and import fees, and offering a "luck penny" on a purchase of an instrument, and others are contributing comments of their own on those points, as is completely appropriate here so long as the comments are civil. this is far from the first discussion of a price of a for-sale concertina on this forum, and one hopes and expects that it won't be the last. often prospective buyers start the discussion by soliciting opinions on an asking price and a seller gets to watch the community weigh in on their asking price for better or worse. there have also been plenty of occasions when the Peanut Gallery has commented that a price seemed high, only to see the instrument snapped up in five minutes by an eager purchaser. free agency and a fair market are alive and well here on the blue board....

Edited by ceemonster

Geoff--

You might want to look at this thread for an inconclusive but possibly interesting recent discussion of what sorts of comments are appropriate in the Buy & Sell forum.

Daniel

Oh dear!

Perhaps it is unfortunate that ‘Buy & Sell’ appears as part of the Discussion Forums.

Ordinarily, discussion as to price takes place privately between the vendor and those with a genuine interest in purchase. Anybody wishing to sell an instrument should be able to initially ask a price that, at least, represents any outlay incurred without unsolicited third party intervention. This intervention can deter people from using this site to advertise available concertinas and therefore deprive those looking for an instrument of a valuable, genuine and, hopefully, scam-free alternative to other sites.

Where advice is sought regarding a suitable price or possible value of a concertina, I believe that this would be better placed in the General Discussion Forum and that any advice given should be carefully thought out with due consideration to the overall effect that advice may have.

Geoff

Due to the claim that part of my previous posting in this thread was untrue, I have withdrawn the content.

My observation was based on my obvious misinterpretation of the Title and sub-title for this part of the forums. i.e.

Buy & Sell

For-sale or Wanted advertisements.

Geoffrey Crabb

• 4 months later...
I am selling a brand new Edgley C/G...

The concertina has now been sold, many thanks to everyone who expressed interest.

The appropriate donation will be made to concertina.net when funds clear.

Edited by Gan Ainm

I am selling a brand new Edgley C/G ...

The donation has now been made, as per the instructions at the top of this forum.

Many thanks Paul, it's a really great service.

Edited by Gan Ainm