Easy Squeezy Tunebooks

wendina

I've wanted to do this project for a long time. Most (good) tune collections contain mainly material that is beyond a beginner level, and what little there is, in beginner method books mostly, is either boring and overplayed, or else really not at a beginner level (except for the musically talented). I'm a patient teacher, but even I get tired of Hot Cross Buns after a while.

Over the years I have been collecting simple dance tunes to use with this type of student, tunes that are fun, have not been played to death and yet are within reach of the struggling beginner. I looked through them and found I had a nice assortment of really simple tunes that fit in the keys of C and G and sound great on button box and concertina. I transcribed them, arranged them with chord symbols, and printed them out in 2 spiral-bound volumes. Some of them are my own compositions, written intentionally as teaching tunes.

Order from the House of Musical Traditions, at http://www.hmtrad.com/sbx-bks

Wendy

Edited by wendina

Oops - sorry, this is the correct URL:

http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/books/sbx-bks

/WM

I've wanted to do this project for a long time. Most (good) tune collections contain mainly material that is beyond a beginner level, and what little there is, in beginner method books mostly, is either boring and overplayed, or else really not at a beginner level (except for the musically talented). I'm a patient teacher, but even I get tired of Hot Cross Buns after a while.

Over the years I have been collecting simple dance tunes to use with this type of student, tunes that are fun, have not been played to death and yet are within reach of the struggling beginner. I looked through them and found I had a nice assortment of really simple tunes that fit in the keys of C and G and sound great on button box and concertina. I transcribed them, arranged them with chord symbols, and printed them out in 2 spiral-bound volumes. Some of them are my own compositions, written intentionally as teaching tunes.

Wendy

/WM

Wendy

I don't see any "easy-squeezy" book in he catalogue.

Can you give more precise link?

Does it come with a CD?

I think the best book for beginner would be a book with tunes in several versions, from just melody, to melody with chords, to some arrangement with variation and harmony, to another level.

So a beginner can tangibly see the progress. If there are enough tunes, and some are to student's liking, chances are he will want to retain them. So he must be given a perspective to grow with them.

And an instruction book without a companion CD nowadays is not an option, it seems.

/WM

Wendy

I don't see any "easy-squeezy" book in he catalogue.

Can you give more precise link?

Sorry - if you click on the link for concertina books, it's there. http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/books/sbx-bks/tina-bks.html is the direct link to the concertina books.

It doesn't come with a CD -- I don't have the bucks to pull that off. It was expensive enough just producing the books. It's a nice idea though, maybe sometime in the future I can manage it. Your idea about a progression from an easy version to something more ornate is a good one. I actually sort of did that with 4 of the tunes from Volume 1 - they are notated first with just melody and chord symbols, and then in full 2-hand versions. Question for you - would you want the more advanced versions of the tunes to show ornamentation, or just have more notes, or variations, or what? I kind of like the idea of keeping things simple for the beginner and getting more tunes in, rather than more and more elaborate versions, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. For me, what would be more useful would be to put the tunes in several different keys, so the diatonic players can manage to find a version that suits their instrument. It's not an issue with English concertina, but the Anglos and button box players might want to have a choice.

/WM

Does it come with a CD?

I think the best book for beginner would be a book with tunes in several versions, from just melody, to melody with chords, to some arrangement with variation and harmony, to another level.

So a beginner can tangibly see the progress. If there are enough tunes, and some are to student's liking, chances are he will want to retain them. So he must be given a perspective to grow with them.

And an instruction book without a companion CD nowadays is not an option, it seems.

I'm interested in it because I teach my mother to play diatonic button accordion. So far we have agreed to treat any accordion as G/C, and we have C/F, A/D and G/C.

I'm currently using French book with CD. I especially like the book because it's using Bernard Loffett's tablature. and specifically written for G/C accordion. The tunes are great, my mom is making progress, but I'd like a variety.

I don't think putting tunes in various keys is a big deal, rather keeping them in useful keys, like English stuff in D/G, French in G/C etc. Perhaps there can be some clear acetate pages with transposers, like blank stave, where you can put your copy and by moving up and down have it transposed.

But I am of the opinion that too many tunes are a waste of time. It's easy to compile such book, with simple tunes, no tablature, chord symbols and no CD. But actually arranging them in order of difficulty, to present a student with challenge in each new tune or chapter - real work. Besides Mally's Melodeon Method and a few French books I haven't found anything as useful, so far.

As for what I would like to see:

Less tunes, but with better selection, less redundancy, more variety and styles.

Less fluff or decorations, but more thoughtful arrangements with variations, so a tune can be played a few times for the public (even just for kids and parents).

Gradual increase of difficulty, so say, a tune may have trhee parts.

First is simple melody with chords, second is harmony and decorations, and the third is a variation. Then there can be a fourth, where variation is decorated. So a player can vary these parts and have a nice concert piece.

But that's my dream and, I guess, I'm going to do that myself, if I want to see it materialized.

Sorry - if you click on the link for concertina books, it's there. http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/books/sbx-bks/tina-bks.html is the direct link to the concertina books.

Oh I found the book, but didn't find any real description, photo or list of tunes, no examples, no mp3 files with excerpts.

I think if you are going to sell them, you need to provide more information.

Oh, and another idea: Why don't you record mp3 with your playing of these tunes and offer them for additional fees for download? Like a $1 a tune. Or the whole book can be downloaded too, instead of shipped.

Then if I like specific tunes, i can buy and download specific pages and mp3, That's how I leaned to play Ukulele.

OH come on Misha, give the lady some space. She's collected a volume of tunes that she tells us will help beginners on their way. It's not rocket science and there's a long tradition of producing beginners music books without CD's. They give it quite a nice write up on the site too.

Good for you madam, say I, well done for making the effort.

(although he might be right that without some way of 'inspecting the merchandise' people will move on without buying.)

OH come on Misha, give the lady some space

Lady can have as much space as she wants.

I just answer her questions about what I would like to see in such book.

And as it happened, I am actively looking for such books, to vary repertore for my mom. It's a life saving procedure and I take it seriously.

What I would not like to see, is yet another indistinguishable tune book for "beginners", read "the book that is not composed, not arranged, not sorted".

I need examples of work done.

OH come on Misha, give the lady some space

Lady can have as much space as she wants.

I just answer her questions about what I would like to see in such book.

And as it happened, I am actively looking for such books, to vary repertore for my mom. It's a life saving procedure and I take it seriously.

What I would not like to see, is yet another indistinguishable tune book for "beginners", read "the book that is not composed, not arranged, not sorted".

I need examples of work done.

OK - See if this helps - I put up excerpts from 2 pages - one, an original tune, and the other, one of the 2-handed Anglo versions (A parts only). Please see at http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/books/sbx-bks/tina-bks.html

I welcome constructive criticism. This gentleman was not rude and made several helpful suggestions. However, I do appreciate the support :rolleyes: In my defense, I considered sorting the tunes by difficulty, but then I ran up against the problem that what is simple on an English concertina may be more difficult on an Anglo, and what is easy on a button accordion may be more difficult on a piano accordion, etc. So instead I sorted the tunes alphabetically. I don't consider my collection indistinguishable from others. I think it's a nice collection to expand your repertoire, even if you aren't a beginner. I challenge you to find more than 2 or at the most 3 tunes (if any) in the collection that you already know!

P.S. I think it's great you are teaching your Mom to play the accordion. What a nice way to spend time with her!

Wendy

OK - See if this helps - I put up excerpts from 2 pages - one, an original tune, and the other, one of the 2-handed Anglo versions (A parts only). Please see at http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/books/sbx-bks/tina-bks.html
http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/books/sbx-bks/tina-bks.html

I'll play it on my English at lunch time.

P.S. I think it's great you are teaching your Mom to play the accordion. What a nice way to spend time with her

When I picked up accordion she was loughing at me. Calling me "Village Pump Squeezer". Look where she is now at 81.

Oh I found the book, but didn't find any real description, photo or list of tunes, no examples, no mp3 files with excerpts.

I think if you are going to sell them, you need to provide more information.

Oh, and another idea: Why don't you record mp3 with your playing of these tunes and offer them for additional fees for download? Like a $1 a tune. Or the whole book can be downloaded too, instead of shipped.

Then if I like specific tunes, i can buy and download specific pages and mp3, That's how I leaned to play Ukulele.

Having the tunes available for download would be invaluable. I would suggest, though, that you sell it as a package-- supplement to the book for one price.

Keep us posted!