Jenny Lind Memorabilia

Hi, this is not totally concertina-related, but I wanted to say more about Jenny Lind -- I mentioned the letter of hers that I have in another recent post. As it is, I'll have to come back later to say more (in a hurry) but here are a few photos, anyway, of the letter and envelope. You may be able to see the 'JL' on the wax seal, not sure. I can give the content of the letter later, written to a Mrs. Rantzow (as near as I can tell), maybe.

I have other Jenny Lind memorabilia, somewhere -- very old sheet music, etc.. Some of it I found myself, at a bookshop or somewhere, and some of it may have come in a lot of papers about Steamships or something (letter mentions the West Newton), which my husband bought at an auction or traded for.

Chris...I know the Jenny Lind Polka, too....have played it a lot on my PA (never on my concertina, so far)! I like that one. Before I learned that polka, I didn't know much about Jenny Lind. It's been fun to find various pics and info.

Edit Added 6/2011:

I've removed the previous photo links, but the Jenny Lind letter & envelope are for sale now at my blujay.com site.

Edited by bellowbelle

Hi, this is not totally concertina-related, but I wanted to say more about Jenny Lind --

History strikes again!

Thank you for sharing that, Wendy!

In Denmark, my home country, the name Jenny Lind has shown up more than twice this year, since we celebrate the 200 year anniversary of H.C. Andersen, the poet. He was hopelessly in love with her and she appears in disguise in one of his fairytales ten years after their first meeting.

/Henrik

Hi, this is not totally concertina-related, but I wanted to say more about Jenny Lind .. As it is, I'll have to come back later to say more ...

I'll wait eagerly to hear what you have to say Wendy, but the period of this letter and Jenny Lind may be more concertina related than just a tune we play that bears her name. I read the name as something more along the lines of "Mrs Eloise Kantzow", which google seems to indicate mostly as originally from Sweden.

Hi, this is not totally concertina-related, but I wanted to say more about Jenny Lind .. As it is, I'll have to come back later to say more ...

I'll wait eagerly to hear what you have to say Wendy, but the period of this letter and Jenny Lind may be more concertina related than just a tune we play that bears her name. I read the name as something more along the lines of "Mrs Eloise Kantzow", which google seems to indicate mostly as originally from Sweden.

Hi, Wes and all, will get back here later....very busy around here today.

This is all very interesting! Yes, I think it may be Kantzow. I haven't had time yet to pursue this today, though...maybe later tonight, or at least tomorrow.

Yes...the fact that Jenny Lind 'worked for' P.T. Barnum after she was a more formal opera singer makes me think that she must have met some concertina players....at a circus or something...heheh... :D

I have more to say but now I must go do other things. Back later.

Which version of the Jenny Lind Polka did you play ,Wendy ? The more common 2 part version (AB) or the much more interesting original 4 part (ABCD) by Wallerstein.                      Robin

Haven't seen that one; could you post it? (play it for the Northwest dancers, some variation might be fun)

Which version of the Jenny Lind Polka did you play ,Wendy ? The more common 2 part version (AB) or the much more interesting original 4 part (ABCD) by Wallerstein.                      Robin

I see that there are several variations out there on the internet! (Took a few minutes to search.)

What I've learned was from a book, 'Polka Time,' Hal Leonard Publishing Corp, has a black cover with pink title and a bit of blue printing. Copyright 1988, but, no obvious mention of the name Wallerstein.

The version I know starts out in the key of C, and goes ABACDC, with a few repeats (x2), being: A(x2), B(x2), A, C(x2), D, C. All the C parts are in the key of F.

It's catchy so it's not really very difficult, but I haven't played it for a while. If I get a chance to work it out I'll record a copy of it as I know it.

But, until July 1st, I've got a ton of things I need to get done so...stealing time to even be online at all, really! (Though, I think it saves what's left of my mind... :blink:)

I have more to say but now I must go do other things.  Back later.

Ok, here for a bit. Got most of my frantically-imperative-to-do stuff outta the way (whew!). Still a bit pressured for a while, but, the worst is over.

Well, I can't find out much about the history of the letter's addressee (de Kantzow, or Kantzow), but that does seem to be the name ('de Hantford' wouldn't be it, and there's a 'de' or 'le' on the envelope).

Somewhere -- and, later, maybe I'll add a photo of it to the Jenny Lind photos -- I have an old piece of sheet music called 'Ossian's Serenade' or something like that. Has a drawing of Jenny Lind meeting P.T. Barnum. I also have some other memorabilia of her, too.

I have been getting into my sheet music (both 'young' and 'old') lately so I'll probably find it again.

In fact, had kind of a funny thing happen -- I recently posted my photo of the sheet music, 'Old Cape Cod' which has Patty Page on the cover (she sang it), but I'd never heard the song at all. Turned on the TV a day or so ago, and there she was -- Patty Page (more recently) singing 'Old Cape Cod.' What an odd coincidence!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's something else. Maybe someone mentioned this somewhere before, I don't know...

There's a print of a young woman on the concertina-arranged music 'Side By Side' in the book 'Dancin'(g?) With Ma Baby.' I do believe it's Jenny Lind. I've seen many pics of her, and...if that's not her, it's a wannabee.

I know that crossed my mind before, but I never even made the connection. Duh. And that's the song I quote in my signature, here, too!

Hmm.

I believe this music was well after her time, but....maybe someone just decided to toss in an image of Jenny, anyway?

Does anyone know if that image is supposed to be Jenny Lind?