Upload/attachment Space

I increased the upload/attachment space available to each person to 3.5 megabytes. This should allow for quite a few photos. The limit is there for security (to keep someone from maliciously trying to crash the server by bombarding it with junk) and to keep you aware that space = money on servers, so please don't attach junk and think about image sizes (re-size/optimize if it makes sense, BEFORE attaching the image).

But if you're simply a prolific contributor and need more space for legitimate postings/attachments, just let me know and I'd be happy to oblige.

Thanks,

Paul

I increased the upload/attachment space available to each person to 3.5 megabytes.

I'm still not sure how this limit works. If it's a limit on what accumulates over time, then either it will have to be raised periodically, or earlier attachements will have to be purged, or certain people -- probably those who most often attach useful stuff -- will completely lose the ability to post attachments. It seems to me that a per-day limit would be more reasonable, but I don't know whether that's an Invision option.

Another point, can the limit be different for different members?

And however it works, is there a way for me to determine how close I am to the limit, except by exceeding it? Not long ago, I tried including an attachment of less than 20 Kb -- my first in quite a while, -- and was told there wasn't enough space for that.

However, another problem I have with attachments is that apparently there can only be one per post, which will only be displayed at the end of the post, even if it relates to text toward the beginning. Am I wrong about that?

Using the IMG button/tags to include an image within the regular format has definite advantages, including -- as I did recently -- inserting copies of images from elsewhere on Concertina.net, without making a copy that takes up space. This has its own disadvantages, though: No option for a thumbnail which can be clicked for a larger view, and the danger of the link becoming invalid if the target is deleted or moved (very possible if it's on an external web site).

Paul, do you have any advice or recommendations for those of us who might want to include images from time to time?

And however it works, is there a way for me  to determine how close I am to the limit, except by exceeding it?  Not long ago, I tried including an attachment of less than 20 Kb -- my first in quite a while, -- and was told there wasn't enough space for that.

From the top menu, choose My Controls. On the next screen, from the left-hand menu, choose Manage Your Attachments, where All Will Be Revealed.

From the top menu, choose My Controls. On the next screen, from the left-hand menu, choose Manage Your Attachments, where All Will Be Revealed.

Oh my! I rarely look at My Controls, and I guess I hadn't done so since the upgrade. I think I'd better check it out now, before they make me take a licensing exam to be allowed to work all those controls. :o ;)

I increased the upload/attachment space available to each person to 3.5 megabytes. This should allow for quite a few photos.

Paul,

Thanks for doing that, and while I'm at it, thanks for everything else at C.net too, it's a wonderful resource !

I had only 445 bytes of "Global Space Left" for attachments, but now I can start posting images again.

However, another problem I have with attachments is that apparently there can only be one per post, which will only be displayed at the end of the post, even if it relates to text toward the beginning.  Am I wrong about that?

Jim,

Didn't you notice my post, with five pictures in the text, in the "Language" thread ? That's what my "Edited to play with new picture software :rolleyes: :) " was about. (No wonder I ran out of "Global Space" !)

Cheers,

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Didn't you notice my post in the "Language" thread ?  That's what my "Edited to play with new picture software  :rolleyes:  :) " was about.

Umm, right. Actually, I did. But after a quick look, I couldn't figure out what you had done, or how. And then I forgot about it as I went on to other things.

Did I miss something somewhere that says "new picture software"? Or maybe "how to create a library of attachments and have them appear in your messages"? The "Add This Attachment" button doesn't tell me what it gets added to. I guess that without thinking I assumed that it was appended to the end of the post, which was the behavior before the upgrade. Might I have learned otherwise if I had actually attached something? Well, I tried, but what I learned was that there wasn't enough space for the attachment to be accepted. Maybe sometime in the near future I'll have reason to try adding another attachment, and then I can hope to learn more.

I, too, am quite pleased by all the work Paul and Ken have done, but I find some of the Invision "features", formatting, and terminology to be frustratingly unintuitive... for me, anyway.

Did I miss something somewhere that says "new picture software"?  Or maybe "how to create a library of attachments and have them appear in your messages"?

Not as far as I am aware, I just did it intuitively. I guess I must be getting more "in touch" with computers these days (or braver ?).

The "Add This Attachment" button doesn't tell me what it gets added to.

No, but when you use it another one appears that says "Add into Post", I just started playing with it ...

...I just did it intuitively. I guess I must be getting more "in touch" with computers these days...

There's really no such thing. It's not computers themselves, but programmers, and the way they design their programs. You may be getting more in touch with the way certain programmers think, though.

...when you use it another [button] appears that says "Add into Post", I just started playing with it ...

I understand, but it didn't appear for me. Instead, I was told that the attachment was too big. (I don't recall the exact message, or whether it mentioned "global space", but if it did, I would have interpreted that in a programming sense... as space available to the program, rather than to me personally for a non-"global" process, i.e., saving attachments.) The "global space" limit, in keeping me from saving even a small attachment, also prevented my learning about all the changes to the attachment process. My mistake, for which I take credit/blame, was not guessing that the fundamental design had been radically changed.

The "Help" on the site is pretty worthless with regard to "attachments". It says:

If the admin has enabled it, you will also see a file attachments option, this will allow you to attach a file to be uploaded when making a post. Click the browse button to select a file from your computer to be uploaded. If you upload an image file, it may be shown in the content of the post, all other file types will be linked to.
Nothing about multiple attachments. (It says "a file", not "one or more files".) Nothing about placement within the message. Nothing about quotas on space. For a process that has been changed fundamentally from the earlier version, I would expect an explanation of at least some basic principles. As for "global space", there's nothing. (The only mention of "global" is in the combination "global moderator".)

Well, that's life. I suppose I'll just continue to rail -- in utter futility -- against "Help" that isn't helpful (among other things).