Lachenal Edeophone 48 Button Concertina For Sale

Sallyann

I am selling my father's Lachenal Edeophone 48 button treble concertina, which he used in the Salvation Army. It is a twelve sided instrument with wooden fretwork ends and 6 fold bellows, complete with original case. This is an opportunity to buy a top of range English concertina. It has a serial number 58850, which means it was made in about 1922. It is being sold as is, and has three buttons without sound, a re-attached right finger slide and a broken lock on the case.

I am located in Australia and am looking for a fair offer. If you are local you could come and try it out, but I can't play it to do a demo! Please contact me for any further information.

Sallyann

post-11578-0-62656300-1419822231_thumb.jpg

post-11578-0-45496400-1419822244_thumb.jpg

post-11578-0-26003500-1419822255_thumb.jpg

post-11578-0-63896100-1419822268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sallyann

Dear Sallyann,

concertinas live in an universe of their own <_<. Your Edeophone certainly is a fine instrument, but in relatively bad condition.

The ends are cracked and would have to be re-polished, it is a pity about the finger-rest with the extra holes and it is most likely in the original high pitch. A good restoration will cost around 500 Pound...

Here you can see a similar one, but perfectly restored, which hasn't sold for months for 1.900 Pound...

http://www.concertina-restoration.co.uk/#!for-sale-now/c32m

If I was you, I would invite offers and be prepared to accept much less! Good luck!

Sorry, Robert - as a matter of fact, this one did find a new home in the USA a couple of months ago. I just haven't got round to the housekeeping on the website.

Your point, however, is well made. In fact, Sallyann and I have already had some correspondence along similar lines, before she listed the instrument on c.net.

I did suggest a more realistic asking price, but I guess optimism is an admirable quality...

From the pics I'm not sure if it's in fact cracked ends or rather just cracked veneer. OTOH there seem to be several pinholes in the bellows' corners. However, as a potential buyer I would be more concerned about the non-sounding reeds. Maybe you should have sorted that out prior to selling the instrument, Sallyann - it's most likely just the valves or some dust between reed and frame...

Best of luck - Wolf

Thanks for the recent comments - I have been too busy enjoying beach holidays to reply! (Sorry, it is nice and warm in Australia.) Appreciate all the thoughts and I have a clearer understanding now of what sort of instrument I have had sitting on a shelf for so long. I am not planning to restore the concertina, Wolf, so the sale is 'as is' and I am just needing to take it steady as I glean information which is turning out to be way more interesting than I anticipated!! I can always come down, David, but had to start somewhere. Happy new year to all!

Sallyann

Maybe a bit of a misunderstanding here Sallyann, as I'm not suggesting to have it restored but to look after the reeds and check them (have them checked) in a way the common user could easily do him- or herself...

Admittedly there would be a small risk of having to report a serious problem, but much more likely all the reeds will sound without any restoration needed...

Happy new year to you too!

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Thanks for the clarification, Blue eyed sailor. I still lack the confidence to take anything apart! We just had the frightening experience of having to evacuate and flee bushfires which came very close to our home, but you will be glad to know that I had the presence of mind to put the concertina in the car when we left!

I may start over with a new post soon, as advised.

Sallyann