Wtb: Anglo C/g

Ringmassa

I'm just starting up and looking for a good used concertina- Anglo in C/G. 30 Button

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, as I'm not sure it will be "my thing." I am weary of all the cheaper ones on Ebay. I'd prefer to spend a little extra and not get a piece of junk. I find that forums like this tend to be a wealth of knowledge.

Hoping someone out here has a decent used one in good working order. Looking to be less than $1K USD

Feel free send me an email- MrRingmassa@hotmail.com

Edited by Ringmassa

The Rochelle, made by Concertina Connection, is a highly regarded beginner Anglo. Depending on what part of the Granite State you're in, you may be able to visit the Button Box in Sunderland. MA to try one out. They have a rental program too.

Thanks for the reply. Button Box is about 2 hours from me. I have seen the Rochelle a lot online. There was a post not that long ago where someone sold one for $300.00 I wish I saw it sooner.

Because I have seen it a lot I though it was more of a super beginner concertina. I have purchased low priced instruments before and usually get rid of them soon after i made the purchase. I tend to try and buy used quality instruments and keep them for a while.

It appears that you can't buy anything decent for less than $1000.00 USD as they are mostly hand made and not massed produced from a machine.

Everything that I'm finding is well over $2k.

Im still looking but maybe its worth the drive to see if they have anything down there thats not listed on their website.

Definitely worth the drive. It should be fun!

I've not been there, but would be well worth your while even if those listed are all that are available. Plan on allowing yourself time to try a variety of instruments, not just those you can afford. That can be very illuminating. You may find that a vintage instrument or their own instruments feel so good that they are worth the difficulty of going over budget. Or you may find that the Rochelle suits your needs for the moment. Or for that matter, if you find that nothing there is enjoyable to play, then you might save a bunch of money by learning that Anglo concertina doesn't suit you after all? Don't expect to play well at first try of course, but certainly for Anglo if you have a chance to sit down with the instruments and noodle about you'll likely know a lot more about what you want from trying them then you ever could by reasoning it out from afar.

And if the cost keeps you to the Rochelle for now, remember that the Button Box (and separately the Concertina Connection) each offer a full credit on the purchase price of the Rochelle purchased from them if you upgrade to one of their own higher grade instruments. So that takes away some of the risk you've previously experienced with starting on a cheaper instrument.

If after trying it and others at the shop, the Rochelle doesn't suit, but Anglo concertina does, then consider a 26 button vintage instrument. I assume you've already dismissed a 20 button instrument, so I'll not argue for it here, although I love mine, it is actually still my favorite. But with a 26 button, you'll have the notes for the vast majority of traditional tunes, and the few absent notes are rarely needed. You might find a good 26 button instrument for less than $1500, which is not within your $1000 budget, but then again not as high as the 30 button instruments either.

Good luck!

They are not easy to find but there are still some bargains. Last year I bought at Auction in England a 28 button Lachenal. With fees and postage to me in Tasmania it cost me A$ 600. Reasonably good condition but work needed. I have restored the bellows done lots of gunk removal ,polished ends etc ,etc. Minuses were ,only 28 buttons and brass reeds. When I opened it up I received a pleasant surprise , the reed pans were for a 30 button with all the reeds present. No hole in the action boards for these reeds and of course no levers ,buttons etc. I bought the required levers , posts and buttons etc from dealers on the net and am on the way to having a 30 button instrument. Don't know if the reed pans were the originals or were replaced at some time, maybe during manufacture 28 b reed pans were not handy so they used 30 b ones which were ? The brass reed are fine and sound good. Have any regular restorers come across this sort of bonus, the pans do look original and the instrument does not look to have had work or modifications done. Regards Geoff.