Ccad

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not falling into that trap and listing all of my instruments. Uh uh.

No, nor me - I'm not really particularly proud of my addiction... But most, if not all, of my instruments get used pretty regularly, apart from perhaps the Appalachian Dulcimer, which I got bored with quite quickly (but, of course, it might come in handy at some point...); my guitars are on a strict rota :D

Do other people buy instruments because they like the idea of them, rather than because they have a use for them? I've done that more than once, the most recent being my baritone ukulele - it's a lovely thing, and great for having an instrument to tinker around on when you don't want to disturb people, as it's got such a quiet voice - but I've never yet found a song or tune that I can envisage performing on it. Maybe that should be a New Year's resolution :rolleyes:

(edited for rubbish typing)

Edited by stuart estell

Your posts regarding multi instrument collections remind me of the late Nigel Chippendale.Nigel was a good friend of mine and he worked for Hobgoblin in their Crawley shop and Nigel lived in the flat above.He wanted to show me one of his newly aquired concertinas and we went up to the flat.I am not observant but I could not help notice he had difficulty getting through his front door.I was slimmer than Nigel but even I had difficulties getting in.Inside it was unbelievable there was a narrow path leading up the stairs only wide enough for one foot at a time with instruments on every step both sides. In his front room ,it was floor to ceiling with instruments and to sit down you had to move the instruments on the chair to the only space available which was a small area which I think was a carpet in the middle of the room and then to leave the room the instruments had to be put back on the chairs.There was no wall space whatsoever, it was shelves filled with more instruments and music.In the kitchen when he went to make coffee, I with difficulty followed him only to be met with more instruments a large cardboard box was in the middle of the room for rubbish and my cup was washed up from a washing up pile which must have gone back to the sixties.

Nigel was a very talented musician and could play expertly every instrument he had.He was one of the best concertina players I have known and was a member of the dance band The Hop one of the finest country dance bands I have had the pleasure to listen to. He was a lovely guy but somehow never made a nice cup of coffee.

Al

But you can never have too many instruments. Just as there is no such thing as too much chocolate. Ask Allison.

...the bottom four veggie drawers in my refrigerator.

David, I am humbled. I bow to the Master.

I must confess, I may have started on the road to ruin! Not satisfied with my lovely Jeffries, I have recently acquired a Mayfair English, to satisfy my yearning to become "bilingual". Just now I'm too busy with concerts and holiday foo-fa-rah to spend much time with it, but I fear it's only the beginning...

:o

I must confess, I may have started on the road to ruin! Not satisfied with my lovely Jeffries, I have recently acquired a Mayfair English, to satisfy my yearning to become "bilingual". Just now I'm too busy with concerts and holiday foo-fa-rah to spend much time with it, but I fear it's only the beginning...

Yes, if you once find yourself thinking "wouldn't it be nice to have..." and then actually going out and buying one, you're on the rocky road to obsession and financial disaster.

Welcome to the club. You'll be needing a Maccann duet next. :D

My name is David and I have MIAD.

You know you've got it bad when you want instruments that haven't been invented yet. Like over at the Experimental Musical Instruments web site, here.

To quote their home page: "If you have an interest in musical instruments with an emphasis on the out-of-the-ordinary, this is the place."

Not that I'd have any interest in such a thing, you understand. No sir. Not me. And I'm not in denial!

QUOTE=Animaterra,Dec 16 2004, 05:48 AM] I must confess, I may have started on the road to ruin! Not satisfied with my lovely Jeffries, I have recently acquired a Mayfair English, to satisfy my yearning to become "bilingual". Just now I'm too busy with concerts and holiday foo-fa-rah to spend much time with it, but I fear it's only the beginning...

Yes, if you once find yourself thinking "wouldn't it be nice to have..." and then actually going out and buying one, you're on the rocky road to obsession and financial disaster.

Stuart E=Welcome to the club. You'll be needing a Maccann duet next.

And next a live in warehouse to avoid the "Nigel Effect". (Great story, Al!)

I believe there is medication for all this! Dr. Dave have you been taking your pills?

Regards,

Greg

Inside it was unbelievable there was a narrow path leading up the stairs only wide enough for one foot at a time with instruments on every step both sides. In his front  room ,it was floor to ceiling with instruments and to sit down you had to move the instruments on the chair to the only space available which was a small area which I think was a carpet in the middle of the room and then to leave the room the instruments had to be put back on the chairs.There was no wall space whatsoever, it was shelves filled with more instruments and music.In the kitchen when he went to make coffee, I with difficulty followed him only to be met with more instruments

I once went into a house like that, except it was full of bicycles. Every room contained bicycles. Some rooms had bicycles completely occupying the available floor space. The living room was fitted out as a gym, and the ceiling was hung with bicycle wheels. Ledges were covered in lighting systems and spare parts. He had to lean over a couple of bicycles up against the cooker make me a cup of tea. He even had a bicycle in the bath.... He also had a lock-up garage full of them and twenty-odd more rusting in the garden. His divorce was surprising only to the extent that someone had married him in the first place.

My partner and I only have seven bicycles, and they are only allowed in the house when they are ill.

I'm wondering whether being married to another concertina player is a factor in my addiction.

As a side issue I do find that I lend out instruments that I can't get on with, is this just to convince myself that I am not a serious case?

Robin Madge

Oh golly I AM NOT checking out the site with the experimental musical instruments. Good grief, I already want way too much stuff. I think I am becoming suggestible. Maybe I have been hypnotized while on line, maybe ...

I'm wondering whether being married to another concertina player is a factor in my addiction.

As a side issue I do find that I lend out instruments that I can't get on with, is this just to convince myself that I am not a serious case?

To both questions I can answer with full knowledge: yes and yes. :(

Chris

Why stop at concertinas? Expand your horizons, join the ranks of those of us with the dreaded..

Multiple Instrument Acquisition Disorder

Then, of course, you start talking about this disorder, and other people start thinking what a good idea it would be to buy a banjolin, even if they've never played either banjo or mandolin. That's when it's morphed into...

Multiple Instrument Really Infectious Acquisition Disorder

Also known as MIRIAD. Anyone with MIRIAD instruments should seek help immediately. I am willing to help. (Maybe that way, if new instruments show up in the house that I have no idea how to play, my wife won't kill me -- just wound me a bit.)

:)

Steven