Ccad

Can you answer yes to 3 or more of the following questions?

Do you own more than one Concertina?

Do you find yourself constantly looking at the websites of the various builders so you can decide what your next concertina will be?

Have you told yourself that your 1972 car with rotting floorboards will do for just one more year so you don't have to put off that concertina purchace?

When deciding between saving for retirement and buying another concertina you decide on the Concertina?

Do you own multiple instruments in the same keys?

Despite having a Jefferies, Dipper and Suttner, do you still have the Stagi you started with... just because?

Do you own or want a Bb/F concertina because you never know when you will run into that session where everyone plays a full tone flat?

Do you own or want an A/E concertina...

If a fire was burning down your house and your children and your concertinas were trapped inside would you have a hard time choosing which to save?

If a fire was burning down your house and your children and your concertinas were trapped inside would you start thinking about what you would name your new kids?

If you have answered yes to 3 or more of the above questions you are in grave danger of slipping into Concertina Compulsive Aquisitive Disorder. This disorder is marked by a severe strain on financial resources and has been known to break up marriages. The only solution is to get rid of all but one of your concertinas as quickly as possible. Unfortunately selling them is not an option as that can lead one to CODD (Concertina Obsessive Dealer Disorder). Your only real solution is to give them to someone; either to someone who is already hopelessly lost in the throws of CCAD or someone who is proven to be immune. If you need someone to give your concertinas too, I humbly will volunteer to take on all excess concertinas :).

Maybe this will get Jim to post :)

--

Bill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. But I already have the disorder, so I am not getting rid of any. I recently had Edgley build me an A/E. ( I ordered it before I had the dialogue with JimLucas about playing in other keys).

I got infected with this crazy idea that I should own 1 from each of the 4 North American mid-range builders, but with each one in a different key. So, I have the A/E from Edgley, and next I will order a custom C/G from Tedrow (but trade in my Tedrow-Modified-Stagi, and maybe even the Tedrow Baritone I bought from Joachim Delp).

My idea was also to have a Herrington Bros G/D and a Morse F/Bb. I now hope I wont get that crazy. Maybe I will learn to play my Lachanel MacCann Duet better, before I get that far. Those super-narrow brass buttons (some of which take extra effort to press and extra time to slip back to position) and the extra weight of that instrument make it less fun to practice though.

I got infected with this crazy idea that I should own 1 from each of the 4 North American mid-range builders, but with each one in a different key. So, I have the A/E from Edgley, and next I will order a custom C/G from Tedrow (but trade in my Tedrow-Modified-Stagi, and maybe even the Tedrow Baritone I bought from Joachim Delp).

And what if there are other midrange makers crop up? Wasn't there another member of the Concertina Guild?

This is like hearing you have an illness from the doctor after telling him the symptoms.

I would ask the doctor on this site but sadly he suffers from this as well.

As the Scottish actor says on Dads Army "Were doomed"!!

Al :unsure: :blink: :huh:

I got infected with this crazy idea that I should own 1 from each of the 4 North American mid-range builders, but with each one in a different key.  So, I have the A/E from Edgley, and next I will order a custom C/G from Tedrow (but trade in my Tedrow-Modified-Stagi, and maybe even the Tedrow Baritone I bought from Joachim Delp). 

And what if there are other midrange makers crop up? Wasn't there another member of the Concertina Guild?

THere is a new guy by the last name of "Carrol", but his ccost twice us much as the Edgleys, Tedrows, Herringtons or Morses, so I don't consider him Midrange.

I played one of his and it is like a Wheatstone/Lechanel replica. He uses narrow metal buttons, like those old builders, but my fingers prefer those delrin buttons.

If you have answered yes to 3 or more of the above questions you are in grave danger of slipping into Concertina Compulsive Aquisitive Disorder.

Bill, I saw in the other thread where you say you coined the term CCAD, but Paul Schwartz beat us to it. In about 1996 or 1997 he wrote on this site (back when he did all the writing) about COAD. Concertina Obsessive Acquisition Disorder. Easier to pronounce, and entered my vocabulary long ago. But the same great idea! :)

If you have answered yes to 3 or more of the above questions you are in grave danger of slipping into Concertina Compulsive Aquisitive Disorder.

Why stop at concertinas? Expand your horizons, join the ranks of those of us with the dreaded..

Multiple Instrument Acquisition Disorder

When Capitol One asks "What's in YOUR wallet?", do like I do. Say "Nothing. But you should see my music room!" :D

You guys are sick!  Bad!

I just buy historical ones (which nobody would want to play) to learn about the history and development of them, and I'm hoping to set up a Museum soon, but I do spend far more money than I can afford (hence trying to convince my bank manager . . . ).

Now how do I get a hold of Zimbotout?

Join the queue ! (Though you should have his details, he claims to have sold you a piccolo anglo last year ?)

Your partner in concertina addiction,

I don't think he's addicted to concertinas . . . he just sells them.

Here's a picture of one of the two I bought last week, but I don't think you would find much use for it :

post-4-1103168681.jpg

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Multiple Instrument Acquisition Disorder

So here I am, reading this thread thinking "That's not me they're talking about. I've only got two concertinas, albeit with exactly the same button layout (a Bastari and a Wheatstone)." Then I stumble on this and my illusions fall apart.

My name is David and I have MIAD. I have:

two concertinas

two banjos

two hammered dulcimers

one mountain dulcimer

two cellos

three guitars

one guitar-like object

countless recorders, pennywhistles and tabor pipes of various sizes

a tabor drum

two piano accordions (I don't play them—they were my father's)

various miscellaneous percussion instruments (wood block, cricket, etc)

various miscellaneous novelty instruments (nose flute, slide whistle, siren, etc)

two ancient synthesizers hooked up to my computer by MIDI

There's probably more, but I can't remember them (isn't that part of the syndrome?).

My only regret is that I can't play them all at once.

Ohhhhhhhh no, David,

I am not falling into that trap and listing all of my instruments. Uh uh.

But you can never have too many instruments. Just as there is no such thing as too much chocolate. Ask Allison.

Nope, retirement is not gonna happen. I'll still be working when I am 94 to pay off my music related stuff. But that is okay. I'd just degenerate into laziness if I ever retired.

Helen

But you can never have too many instruments. Just as there is no such thing as too much chocolate. Ask Allison.

Don't get me started. I just (a moment ago) took this picture with my cell phone. It's the bottom four veggie drawers in my refrigerator.

My wife stocks them, but I wind up eating most of it.

post-4-1103170118.jpg