ABC

Dirge

Definitely some devilish forces at work here - the Orcs (Open Reed Compositors by Sight), if it is they, are on overtime for Saruman and are now up overnight from 912

to

1172 Views..........

unless it is someone with the DTs (Danish tremens)who has got his finger on the reply key!

Where are you Gandalf....!?

Maybe this could do with some tina playing(as in old silent movie piano accompaniment...

And that gives me an excuse to say there is no tina utube version (even from New Zealand, hint hint, squeeze squeeze) of

Concerning Hobbits/In Dreams. I seem to remember having trouble finding an ABC for keyed flageolet for that, tho I now find a rather unappealing one for grand piano.

http://www.thefatlute.com/viewsong.aspx?songid=1660

The gifted might find pleasure playing along to this chappie, but see how he has to switch instruments to get the full range

This school certainly knows how to do it all, though no tina again..........

plain piano

BTW what key is it?

They're in the US :P

Fantastic find (as usual)Leo!

And Saruman would be proud of the hairstyles too.....though as it went along I began to think it was an instrumental remake of the Life of Brian and the Ministry of Silly Dances. :)

Still looking for that abc.... and thinking I can hear tentative sounds of a NZ tina wafting over the White Ship on the ocean waves...

Edited by Kautilya

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Saruman would be proud of the hairstyles too.....though as it went along I began to think it was an instrumental remake of the Life of Brian and the Ministry of Silly Dances. :)

Still looking for that abc.... and thinking I can hear tentative sounds of a NZ tina wafting over the White Ship on the ocean waves...

Hi Kautilya

Would PDF's work?

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9622

Thanks

Leo B)

Hi Kautilya

Would PDF's work?

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9622

Thanks

Leo B)

Smartypants**! Tku Leo and of course Tzirtzi for all that work ! Yes pdf fine. And chance to use C and F boxes too

**I don't know how you do it so fast and cleverly. I am reminded of everyone at a particular publishing house always going to see my other half (U) when they had a research problem or to find an answer and much later someone saying to her "Before Google, there was U!"

Edited by Kautilya

• 1 year later...

Did somebody say D flat?

X:7
T:Ask me now
M:4/4
L:1/8
C:Thelonious Monk
V:1       % chords
V:2 merge % melody
K:Db
P:A
[V:1] "Gm7"x2 "C7"x2 "F#m7"x2 "B7"x2|"Fm7"x2 "Bb7"x2 "Em7"x2 "A7"x2|"Ebm7"x4      "Ab7"x4   |"B7" x4        "Bb7"x4       |
[V:2]      c=G=EC         =B,=B3    |     BF=DB,         =A,=A3    |      ABAB         A2=E2|     F8                      |
%
[V:1] [1 "Eb7"x4     "D7"  x4       |"Db" x4         "Eb7"x4       |"Ebm7"x4      "Ab7"x4   |"B7" x2"Bb7"x2 "A7"x2"Ab7"x2:|
[V:2] [1      FDB,=G,     _G,_F3    |     ED (3CDF        cB3      |      dB (3GEB,    F3 =E|     F8                     :|
%
[V:1] [2 "Eb7"x4     "D7"  x4       |"Db" x4         "Eb7"x4       |"Ebm7"x4      "Ab7"x4   |"Db6"x8                     ||
[V:2] [2      FDB,=G,     _G,_F3    |     ED (3CDF        cB3      |      dB (3GEB,    F3A, |     D8                     ||
P:B
[V:1] "Ebm7"x4           "Ab7"x4       |"Db"x4 x4 |"Ebm7"x4  "Ab7"x4   |"Db" x4    x4  |
[V:2]       EFGA              c3B      |    A8    |      EFGA    _c3__B|     A8        |
%
[V:1] "Eb7" x4                x4       |    x4 x4 |"Ebm7"x4       x4   |"Gb7"x4    x4 ||
[V:2]      [fd][ec][dB][FD] [=A3c3][ce]|   [B8=G8]|      BAGB,    FE3  |    _fedB _fe3||
P:A
[V:1] "Gm7"x2 "C7"x2 "F#m7"x2 "B7"x2|"Fm7"x2 "Bb7"x2 "Em7"x2 "A7"x2|"Ebm7"x4      "Ab7"x4   |"B7" x4 "Bb7"x4|
[V:2]      c=G=EC         =B,=B3    |     BF=DB,         =A,=A3    |      ABAB         A2=E2|     F8        |
%
[V:1] "Eb7"x4        "D7"  x4       |"Db" x4         "Eb7"x4       |"Ebm7"x4      "Ab7"x4   |"Db6"x8       |]
[V:2]      FDB,=G,        _G,_F3    |     ED (3CDF        cB3      |      dB (3GEB, F3A,    |     D8       |]

I read that at pitch on the F alto recorder (or I used to, haven't tried it for a while). And Monk probably thought of it at pitch, on the piano. But a jazz wind player would want a score in E flat (for a B flat instrument) or B flat (for an E flat instrument). Which you can produce in seconds with BarFly.

Did somebody say D flat?

They did but it was some time ago and largely in jest (for my part at least)! This is a timely resurrection of an old thread because we can have an annual review of what abc is up to (or indeed not up to) now. Since my last post in this thread there has be yet another incredibly useful software development for abc users, Tunebook for iPhone and related applications for Android phones - what a wheeze!

I downloaded The Craic, great for searching for and "collecting" tunes as when you search for a tune it finds it on the web and downloads not just the ABC of the tune you are looking for but the whole collection it is found in. So in the space of about ten minutes It had over 6000 tunes on my iPad. No problem as they take up no space and the Craic has a very good search capability. Sadly though, compared to Tunepal and Tunebook, the playback functions are very limited, no tempo adjustments, no instrument sound changes. Maybe on an update this will be added. If only one of these apps could add a loop select function that allows you to highlight just a part of a tune you are learning all would be well with the world.

TheCraic is really still under extensive development. For example, in the just available upgrade you now have the option to download just one tune or the whole file, and you have an opportunity to download, but not play, a tune without saving it. I know there are other improvements planned too. Pete and Simon are right that it is currently limited, but this is the guy that built 5 Line Skink so he's got a good background and I hope the app will grow. If you really want to confuse it download a tune with multiple parts :)

• 2 months later...

I mainly learn by ear and play from memory. I can read standard notation (one line only) slowly and clumsily. I can play simple one line melodies by reading ABC, assuming it is in the right key. However, the two tools are for different purposes.

I write the occasional tune, and find it laborious and messy to write it on paper using standard notation, making corrections and adjustments as I go along. ABC gives me an easy way to get the tune set out correctly (with all the dotted notes and ties "just right") before I convert it to standard notation for circulation.

ABC also gives me an easy way to hear my own tune played back to me. I get a more objective idea of what it sounds like if I'm listening rather than playing. Another benefit is that I can use ABC to experiment with tweaks to the melody without having to relearn the fingering each time.

Every instrument I have ever played (harmonica, melodeon, trumpet, Anglo) is potentially a "transposing" instrument. For example, on Anglo the music may be written in A, but I play it in B flat or G because they are the boxes that I have. I have never had an opportunity to learn to sight read with a simple one-to-one relationship of lines on the stave to buttons on the instrument. I'm playing in G, but the music may be written in any key. ABC lets me transpose easily.

ABC is therefore a useful tool. It is not a substitute for standard notation, although it can be used for some of the same purposes. It does lots of other things that I find useful.

I haven't tried other software options, but as ABC serves my purposes, I see no need to. I am grateful to the people who developed it and made it so readily available to me.

I mainly learn by ear and play from memory. I can read standard notation (one line only) slowly and clumsily. I can play simple one line melodies by reading ABC, assuming it is in the right key. However, the two tools are for different purposes.

I write the occasional tune, and find it laborious and messy to write it on paper using standard notation, making corrections and adjustments as I go along. ABC gives me an easy way to get the tune set out correctly (with all the dotted notes and ties "just right") before I convert it to standard notation for circulation.

ABC also gives me an easy way to hear my own tune played back to me. I get a more objective idea of what it sounds like if I'm listening rather than playing. Another benefit is that I can use ABC to experiment with tweaks to the melody without having to relearn the fingering each time.

Every instrument I have ever played (harmonica, melodeon, trumpet, Anglo) is potentially a "transposing" instrument. For example, on Anglo the music may be written in A, but I play it in B flat or G because they are the boxes that I have. I have never had an opportunity to learn to sight read with a simple one-to-one relationship of lines on the stave to buttons on the instrument. I'm playing in G, but the music may be written in any key. ABC lets me transpose easily.

ABC is therefore a useful tool. It is not a substitute for standard notation, although it can be used for some of the same purposes. It does lots of other things that I find useful.

I haven't tried other software options, but as ABC serves my purposes, I see no need to. I am grateful to the people who developed it and made it so readily available to me.

Well said Mike. To me the essence of abc is making music in a written form available and accessible to everyone. It may be viewed and used in many ways but if we can all read (or hear) and make something of the tune so that we can play together in whatever way suits us then it's job done I reckon.