Scam Lachenal?

david robertson

There's currently a 30 button rosewood Lachenal on eBay which seems to have a whiff of scammer's sweat about it. (Item no. 222733729340)

The seller claims to be Eric Beharrell, who is a respectable maker of ukuleles and banjos, as well as a melodeon player... in short, someone I would have expected to recognise a Lachenal, rather than attribute it to Albert Silber of Silber and Fleming, the retailers whose label it bears.

What's more puzzling is that the listing claims that the instrument can be collected from NR7 0QE, which happens to be my postcode!

I have asked for clarification, but so far, no reply. All I'm saying is proceed with caution...

I have now had a response from the seller, who has no idea why my postcode was mentioned. But Mike Rowbotham has kindly suggested that it's because the seller offered a 'click and collect' option, and the eBay system uses the enquirer's postcode to suggest collection points nearby.

I did try contacting the seller via his blog, but the email address given there simply doesn't work.

So while caution is always advisable, I may have been overcautious in this case, perhaps because my own eBay account has been hijacked in the past.

Edited by david robertson

I thought it was Tidder at first glance, as the fretwork is nearly identical to mine, serial # 5504. However, there are differences. It's too bad there aren't better pictures of the handles, insides, etc. What makes you certain it is a Lachenal? Also, yikes on getting your Ebay account hacked.