3rd Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

As another beginner, I'm rather awed by the standard of play so far!

I play:

Gloucester Road

This has memories for me from the 70's.

Crikey, Rod.

Charles Wheatsone was born not far from Gloucester.

For a beginner, that's one devastating move.

You wouldn't be hustling here would you?

Edited by Gerry

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'll have had your tea ?

That expression is from the wrong game.

It is generally used to welcome players to the Edinburgh version - Morningside Crescent.

It's a particularly tricky game, since Edinburgh doesn't actually have a Morningside Crescent,

but players have to try to get to Morningside Drive, then try to get onto The Crescent.

Anyway, I'll play the only move common to both games:

Haymarket

Anyway, I'll play the only move common to both games:

Haymarket

Very ingenious indeed. I shall stay with the game Ancient & Modern myself (you may have noticed my predilection for the game, the whole game and nothing but the game). I thought of playing Barnwood Manor, but the manor house where CW was born was recently demolished, thus closing off at least two diagonals. Shame! So on careful consideration it will have to be

Lamb Street

Chris

Oh!

Oh!

I think I get it, now!

Can I play, too?

Columbus Circle

:) Do I win?

Obviously not! Apart from not having arrived at MC, you have crossed an ocean without first having declared a Grand Farnarcle. This sets you back several points. (Can anyone remind me exactly how many? I don't have the rules with me).

But my reply is to proceed to Euston. (It seems so obvious that it is probably a very bad move - like QxP in chess).

All this faffing around is getting us nowhere so I'll employ some tactics popular in Mornington Crescent (Ultimate Fighter - "Train of Blood") 2.0 and strike straight to Arsenal (it's the only tube station worth going to anyway :) ). I'd also like to invoke the Everettonian Many-Worlds sub-clause of the Patchkovsky Amendment enabling me to also simultaneously move to Paddington, Wood Green, Wimbledon & Paris (via St. Pancras).

Columbus Circle

:) Do I win?

Rod points out that you win by making your way to Mornington Crescent, and that is correct for this game (and indeed any game that spans continents). But by international agreement brokered by the U.N. back in the early post-war years games totally located within another continent (i.e. external to the UK) may choose their own end points. Columbus Circle is one such end point, as David has correctly intuited.

So, a move which may, as Rod points out, not be ideal for this game but which shows enormous promise. Welcome to the game!

Chris

PS once again (particularly for Chas, who obviously can't keep track of the thing from one move to the next :) ) here is the map. Use it wisely; it is your guide and friend in all things.

PPS is has just occurred to me that the map looks somewhat, ah, noodly, don't you think?

All this faffing around is getting us nowhere so I'll employ some tactics popular in Mornington Crescent (Ultimate Fighter - "Train of Blood") 2.0 and strike straight to Arsenal (it's the only tube station worth going to anyway :) ). I'd also like to invoke the Everettonian Many-Worlds sub-clause of the Patchkovsky Amendment enabling me to also simultaneously move to Paddington, Wood Green, Wimbledon & Paris (via St. Pancras).

Woody you have to stick to the rules. Timing is all essential. You are much too early for the 4.50

Chas

I'd also like to invoke the Everettonian Many-Worlds sub-clause of the Patchkovsky Amendment enabling me to also simultaneously move to Paddington, Wood Green, Wimbledon & Paris (via St. Pancras).

Oh! Woody's taking up the Duet!

But, but, but.....

In the Patchkovsky Amendment (revised edition 2006), it clearly states in the introductory preamble (p. xi, para.1.21) that simultaneous moves to non-contiguous travel zones are not allowed and in fact, are highly dangerous (something to do with non-linear time-warp dismogrification, I think - perhaps the sky will fall in). The non-contiguity of Paddington and Wimbledon is bad enough, but goodness knows what travel zone Paris is in, but I know I couldn't afford to go there. I think you will find you are now well and truly in Nidd.

Meanwhile (to take advantage of a possible quick escape via GNER to Newcastle in the event of a sky collapse) I will retreat to...

King's Cross

Woody's taking up the Duet!

In that case perhaps he should have played Two-ting Bec .

I notice nobody's suggested Barking yet.

Ray

Edited by Ray

Woody's taking up the Duet!

In that case perhaps he should have played Two-ting Bec .

I notice nobody's suggested Barking yet.

Ray

No need to - we're all there already!

But from there I'll play Warren Street - follow that!

but carefully, or I win in two moves!!

PPS is has just occurred to me that the map looks somewhat, ah, noodly, don't you think?

Ah the great Spaghedeity moves in mysterious (and wriggly) ways! :rolleyes:

Oh! Woody's taking up the Duet!

There's no need to be insulting! :angry:

Woody you have to stick to the rules. Timing is all essential. You are much too early for the 4.50

Chas

Nice try Chas. Of course due to subtle variations in the mass & motion of planetary bodies in closely parallel universes and the corresponding relativistic impact on the progession of time, it's always 4:50 at St. Pancras somewhere :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

But, but, but.....

In the Patchkovsky Amendment (revised edition 2006), it clearly states in the introductory preamble (p. xi, para.1.21) that simultaneous moves to non-contiguous travel zones are not allowed and in fact, are highly dangerous (something to do with non-linear time-warp dismogrification, I think - perhaps the sky will fall in).

Ah Steve, Steve, Steve - an easy mistake to make. You're forgetting the J.R. Hartley addendum of 2007 - A.K.A. the "Big slap in the face with a wet fish addendum" - that establishes the principle that non-contiguous zonal multi-dimensional moves can be permitted if undertaken using the short cut of a transformation through a M-brane threshold whilst repeatedly beating yourself with a fresh water fish that you caught yourself.

Good point about the sky though so I'm off to Westminster - handy for the Cabinet War Rooms underground bunker.