Identity

GOOD FOLKS: by means of exchanging private e-mails with a number of contributors to C.net. . . .i've learned that there are more than a few contributors who, like me, would like to know the REAL NAME of the person with whom they're corresponding. . . . now i realize there's something cute about some of the names. . . . .but at least some of us find it a bit disconcerting to respond to and ask questions of nameless correspondents. . . . .perhaps everyone is identified in the roster somewhere, but to have to check that is rather cumbersome. . . . . .

BE IT RESOLVED, then, that as of this moment, everyone will identify him or herself with a real name, at least the one that he or she was given. . . . . .

ALL IN FAVOR SAY YEAH. . . . .ALL OPPOSED SAY NOPE..................

Allan W. Atlas

P.S.: i can hear the jeers aimed at this humorless request. . . . . . .perhaps this will be one of the very few times that i don't kill a thread. . . . .or will no one respond simply in order to keep my near record running.............

Edited by allan atlas

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD FOLKS: by means of exchanging private e-mails with a number of contributors to C.net. . . .i've learned that there are more than a few contributors who, like me, would like to know the REAL NAME of the person with whom they're corresponding. . . . now i realize there's something cute about some of the names. . . . .but at least some of us find it a bit disconcerting to respond to and ask questions of nameless correspondents. . . . .perhaps everyone is identified in the roster somewhere, but to have to check that is rather cumbersome. . . . . .

BE IT RESOLVED, then, that as of this moment, everyone will identify him or herself with a real name, at least the one that he or she was given. . . . . .

ALL IN FAVOR SAY YEAH. . . . .ALL OPPOSED SAY NOPE..................

NOPE!

While I'm one who never signs his posts because my Forum ID is my real name and it would therefore be redundant, and while I do like to know people's real names, and while I think it's a tragedy that Invision reserves fields in our Profiles for identities on several unrelated services that I want nothing to do with but doesn't provide such a place for our real names if we should want to post them there, I think it's not only impossible but also offensive to try to force (even by social pressure) others to expose themselves.

How would you like it if we tried to bully you into playing Irish or Morris music on an anglo, instead of Victorian arrangements on a vintage English? :o

P.S.: i can hear the jeers aimed at this humorless request. . . . . . .

"Jeers"... "cheers"..., they sound almost the same to me. :D

Dear Jim: FORCE???????. . . . . . .BULLY???????. . . . it was a REQUEST. . . . . . . .obviously, everyone will do what he or she wants to do. . . . . . .but i would love to know with whom i'm corresponding . . . . . . . .

FORCE???????. . . . . . .BULLY??????????. . . . . .BE IT RESOLVED THAT WE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR..................

As of the moment, the Nays lead 1 - 0................or does my resolution tie the score???????????Allan

Edited by allan atlas

I used to sign my real name, but got punished for this.

It took me awile to re-route my emails, inform my friends and come up with self-identity, easy for everyone who knows me, to recognise that my mails are not junk. Most of steady contributors (graphomaniacs) know my name anyways, but intruders will only see m3838. It will take them awile to figure out how to search for my name, email, website, and most will not. Speaking of which, I will see, if I can edit my personal information and edit off my real identity.

i reckon it really dont matter one way or the other. im not wanted by the law. i just like chain yanker. my given name? it really depens on who you ask. i think dad called me whoops. and mom was oh no. :lol: jim overturf

Edited by chainyanker

The identity of a person isn't really contained in a name, but is certainly expressed in their communications. I dare say many of us would recognize each other even if we used a different pseudonym each post. I guess I've been fortunate to receive only kind e-mails from those who've seen my name here. Perhaps if we are resolving to do anything, it should be to remain respectful ( as Alan certainly is )of each other and to assume that regardless of what someone has written, that they never intended any lack of respect for us. I am often surprised at the things people take offense over when it is nearly always a misunderstanding or a fair difference of opinion. All in all, I think the people posting on this site are a fine bunch of people.

Dana

Neigh... neigh...

I stomp my left fore hoof 2 times for "Neigh..."

In a world of ID theft, break-ins, instant reverse-lookups online, and a limited number of us, annomity is the best way to go.

back to me oats

DANA AND FOLKS: I fully agree with Dana. . . .in fact, i've yet to come across anyone who was not a nice person. . . . . .or did not try to be helpful with his or her communication. . . . .

and it was with a great deal of respect -- that is, that in the end everyone will do and should do whatever it is that he or she feels comfortable doing -- that I made the request in the first place...............

i'm not tallying the yeas and the nays...............Allan

Please find my real name below. To me it is NOPE, and the rest of this message tells you why.

There are many members, should we all show our passport? Who is going to do the administration? This is internet and many people on internet like to use nick names in forums, why not? Maybe your real name isn't Allan Atlas at all, this would be no problem to me, we could set up a fake discussion, and in the end nobody would know we are just the same person with two different member names. Can you prove you are not the same person as I am? Or could you be a scammer, or could I be one (if we are not the same)?

But seriously, what is the relevance of ID here? Anybody can sign up for concertina.net. The main point is that members know how they became member and they will understand that anyone can enter this forum. In personal contacts and messages you will find out soon enough whether a member is a reliable contact or not.

MARIEN and FOLKS: it was not a matter or a test of reliability. . . . but rather a desire to make one's correspondence at least juyy a little bit more personal. . . .even humane. . . . ..

obviously, with the votes running against my idea. . . .there's a landslide growing out there. . . .i am very happy to withdraw the motion/resolution. . . .and since i'm not up on Robert's Rules of Order, does the withdrawal of a motion end all discussion about it. . . . . .allan

Edited by allan atlas

MARIEN and FOLKS: it was not a matter or a test of reliability. . . . but rather a desire to make one's correspondence at least juyy a little bit more personal. . . .even humane. . . . ..

obviously, with the votes running against my idea. . . .there's a landslide growing out there. . . .i am very happy to withdraw the motion/resolution. . . .and since i'm not up on Robert's Rules of Order, does the withdrawal of a motion end all discussion about it. . . . . .allan

My name's David Gardiner; Dirge is a nickname that's been following me from school days so I'm used to it, answer to it and have lots of friends that still call me it down the pub. So when you address me as Dirge, well, that's also my name. But I'm not precious about it; use David if you prefer.

I only put it in because registration seemed to require a pseudonym and I had one ready. In principle I'd be with Allan; use real names, but the system encourages you the other way.

(Oh NO! The Dastardly Duet Thief now knows my real name AND where I live. Must get that safe installed)

But seriously, what is the relevance of ID here? Anybody can sign up for concertina.net. The main point is that members know how they became member and they will understand that anyone can enter this forum. In personal contacts and messages you will find out soon enough whether a member is a reliable contact or not.
The relevance is that many of us have met each other in the flesh and it might be frustrating to think that familiar faces are hiding behind unfamiliar names here. I can certainly see where Allan was coming from with his request, but I also see the futility in trying to make it standard.

Hello folks ! Hello little kids !!!

Hello Allan,

Allan, I congratulate you for your sympathetic proposition, I understood it like a proposition to make things more human too. Each one of us is free to discover his name (if not already done) or to stay anonymous. I think everybody here is respectful. I think as Dana people here in this forum are very nice and have good intentions, share a same passion.

I personally live far from most all of you and am sure nobody knows or recognizes me ! But anyway, I am who I am and donot have anything to hide !!!

Please, let's stay in good humour, far from the red and big ...

I choose a pseudo as required by the forum when you subscrive, valse lente is my favorite tune, the one I prefer to play, the one with which I end a little show, the one who makes my ex jolipapa cry !!!

I personally say my name to persons I correspond with, very simply, we won't make it a politic affair !

I forgot the essential I should have begun with : my name is Caroline Sniter !!! Happy to meet you everybody !

Allan,

I'll admit that there are times when I would like to know who I'm talking to on the internet (and there have been times when they've not been at all who they claimed to be :rolleyes: ), but the well-established tradition is one of (optional) anonymity.

However, sometimes I find myself seriously handicapped in replying to a query when people don't give any indication of where they are on the planet, something that I see you don't do yourself - though in your case I know where you live... ;)

(And sometimes you'd wonder what planet people are on at all! :unsure: )

Edited by Stephen Chambers