Mornington Crescent For Concertina Players

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm baffled. Even after studying the website-...

Which website? Have you read the Wikipedia entry on "Mornington Crescent"?

would somebody please explain slowly, in simple language, with words of few syllables, what the heck is going on??????? :wacko:
...the player is encouraged and expected to modify the rules while the game is actually being played.

"Modify the rules"="Make up new rules". :ph34r: Or as I said...

...really just Calvin Ball* on the Circle Line** (London's, not New York's).... ;)
* As in Calvin & Hobbes.

** Actually, the entire London Underground subway system, of which the Circle Line is one part. (New York's "Circle Line" is a tour boat that circumnavigates Manhattan.)

As far as I can tell (I hope no one minds my getting serious for a moment), the real purpose of the game is to give folks an opportunity to exercise creativity and humor in improvising new "rules" (often invoked by "name" without ever being stated, thus allowing for considerable future creativity in their "use") and explanations or justifications for them... and to pull the legs of those who don't realize this. Anyone who is familiar with my C.net postings before this game became a Topic here should have no trouble understanding why I -- a complete novice -- took to the game like the proverbial duck to the River Thames, even before learning the truth behind it.

Well, I'm baffled. Even after studying the website-...

Which website? Have you read the Wikipedia entry on "Mornington Crescent"?

would somebody please explain slowly, in simple language, with words of few syllables, what the heck is going on??????? :wacko:
...the player is encouraged and expected to modify the rules while the game is actually being played.

"Modify the rules"="Make up new rules". :ph34r: Or as I said...

...really just Calvin Ball* on the Circle Line** (London's, not New York's).... ;)
* As in Calvin & Hobbes.

** Actually, the entire London Underground subway system, of which the Circle Line is one part. (New York's "Circle Line" is a tour boat that circumnavigates Manhattan.)

As far as I can tell (I hope no one minds my getting serious for a moment), the real purpose of the game is to give folks an opportunity to exercise creativity and humor in improvising new "rules" (often invoked by "name" without ever being stated, thus allowing for considerable future creativity in their "use") and explanations or justifications for them... and to pull the legs of those who don't realize this. Anyone who is familiar with my C.net postings before this game became a Topic here should have no trouble understanding why I -- a complete novice -- took to the game like the proverbial duck to the River Thames, even before learning the truth behind it.

A very clever recursive explanation which is of course a load of Horlicks. Mornington Crescent was first played in Britain at Hampton Court (which can be found on O'Grady's parallel, two clicks beyond Hounslow West) and Samuel Pepys refers to "the gentle game of Moaning Tom Chesunt".

I will not be put off by these diversions and as it's Easter Sunday I will play Osterley.

Howard Mitchell

Mornington Crescent is what is technically known as a nomic game
creativity and humor
a load of Horlicks

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh- I see now! ;) So I could just refer to the rules as set down by Sam Pepys himself and move to Covent Garden, thus staying well above the line.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh- I see now! ;) So I could just refer to the rules as set down by Sam Pepys himself and move to Covent Garden, thus staying well above the line.

Soooo, another stealth amatuer finally reveals their hand to gain platform points.

I will invoke the Grand Allies tunnelling stratagem and go:

"Gallions Reach"

Mornington Crescent is what is technically known as a nomic game
creativity and humor
a load of Horlicks

You could but it's rare to go back further than the 87th Marquis of Turberry's rules in the 1850s (about when concertinas were becoming common) AND shunting is not allowed at this point AND you put yourself in Nip.

Miss a turn.

... as it's Easter Sunday...

I'll Passover (or should that be pass over?) the invitation to make the obvious next move. It looks like the game is now becoming more expansive, with both Howard and Theo trying to open up play.

Being a bit behind on points, I'll play my "Joker" on this round. I'll play:

"Oxford Circus", and claim a "Doppler".

I think that this should now put me into the lead, but Samantha will, no doubt, confirm.

Peter. :D :D

The widespread playing of the game in England is probably behind the notable intellectual superiority of the English man and woman in all walks of life.

Chris

As this forum has shown, the skills applied in the game do appear beyond the boundaries of England. :ph34r: B)

- John Wild

PS can someone explain the difference between Knip (as referred to by Chris) and nip (as referred to by Howard) ?

As this forum has shown, the skills applied in the game do appear beyond the boundaries of England. :ph34r: B)

- John Wild

PS can someone explain the difference between Knip (as referred to by Chris) and nip (as referred to by Howard) ?

Oh, "K"

... as it's Easter Sunday...

I'll Passover (or should that be pass over?) the invitation to make the obvious next move. It looks like the game is now becoming more expansive, with both Howard and Theo trying to open up play.

Being a bit behind on points, I'll play my "Joker" on this round. I'll play:

"Oxford Circus", and claim a "Doppler".

I think that this should now put me into the lead, but Samantha will, no doubt, confirm.

Peter. :D :D

" "

I thought it was called a "spoon" and maybe Samantha will confirm it with a firm and clear " " :unsure:

OTOH I'm feeling like a complete stranger in this forum... It's this Mr. Jones feeling as described in the "Ballad of a Thin Man".....

You know something is happening here,

but you don't know what it is..

Do you, Mr. Jones

I'll play: "Oxford Circus", and claim a "Doppler".

Hmm. I was hoping to claim a "Dipper", but there's a long train of others ahead of me. So it appears that for the nonce I'm blocked, unless someone's shunt opens an unwonted path for me.

It seems that the thread has drifted to a discussion of the rules rather than the game itself, so I'm going to bring it to the game:

Taking advantage of the fact that it is now Easter Monday, I can, according to William Hayward-Smith's variation*, go straight to Cockfosters, can I not?

For a while I thought I could trump you all and go straight to Mornington Crescent, but having read the variation through in detail I see that this is not possible. Besides, it would have ended what could be a classic game a little prematurely.

* I refer, of course to his 1915 variations, his later variation in 1917 does not help at all, and the 1917 (issue 2) variations do not apply on Bank Holidays anyway.

So it's Cockfosters from me (and Cockfosters from him)

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

The classic episode was when Lionel Blair tried to convey "A Town like Alice" by taking on the character of it's author. Who could forget the look in Una Stubbs eyes as she saw Nevil Shute in Lionels face?"

There was a famous pleasure garden with rides etc. and a Big Dipper at ....

Vauxhall.

There was a famous pleasure garden with rides etc. and a Big Dipper at ....

Vauxhall.

Ah would that be Sven's Big Dipper?

"Mudchute"