Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

I see this thread was started in warm weather.................I'm just looking out at 26" of snow and thought I'd check C.net for any good tunes ( this is one of my favourite C.net places) before I go out and shovel.By the time I've gone through all these great looking tunes I'm thinking the snow may have melted ( or not!)

Thanks for the tunes,Pete, and let me respond with this one I heard a little while ago....not so difficult just a great tune with four parts and from the same tradition.

Cheers Robin

I've edited the original post as I got the timing wrong, it's actually two bars of the slip jig to each bar of the slow 6/8 air. It should be played in the following order:

Slow air twice through solo

Slip jig twice through solo

Air and slip jig together until your fingers drop off. :lol:

Here's the slip jig, Merry Christmas!

X:1

T:Windy Gyle (9/8)

T: 2 bars of 9/8 to one bar of slow 6/8 air

C:Alistair Anderson

Z:Peter Dunk December 2008

Q:1/4=240

L:1/8

M:9/8

R:Jig

K:G

"1" |:BAG d2 F G3 |BAG G2 BA2 F | DED F2 G A3 | FGA A2 c B2 d |

"5" edc g2 c G2 c | dcB g2 B G2 B | AGF d2 A D2 F | GAB dBA G3 |

"9" BAG d2 F G3 | BAG G2 B A2 F | DED F2 G A3 | dAF D2 E F2 A |

"13" GBd gaf g3 |afd c2 A F2 a | Bcd G2 B d2 f | gdB cAF G3 |

"17" ABA d2 A F2 A | D2 EFGA c2 e | ded g2 d B2 g | e2 d cde A2 c |

"21" def gfa g3 | gfa g2 d cAF | D2 F ABG A3 | DEF ABc edc |

"25" BAG d2 F G3 |BAG G2 BA2 F | DED F2 G A2 B | c2 d edc g2 f |

"29" edc g2 c G2 c | dcB g2 B G2 B | AGF d2 A D2 F | GAB dBA G3 :|

Pete,

The notation I have for this - from one of Mr A's workshops - is in the key of A and there is a harmony line to the slow air.

I think the the order of play on the 'Syncopace' cd and on the 'Windy Gyle' cd is the slow air solo, then slow air with harmony line, then the slip jig alone, then the slip jig with slow air and then back to the slow air played in unison. The Syncopace version is my favourite; it starts with a lone cello playing the slow air melody - shivers down the spine for me!

Hello John, I got the dots from one of Alistair's workshops too and it does say at the top that it was originally in A. The slow air does indeed have a harmony line, I was just too lazy to transcribe it but I'll probably do that over the next few days. As for changing it back into the original key of A that's simple with an abc file using the converter at www.folkinfo.org or the one at O'Regan's Tunebook. I might post the tunes in the original key in a little while.

I don't know why Alistair changed the key for the workshop unless it was to accommodate the diatonic instruments or musically challenged players. :unsure:

Windy Gyle in A. I'll add the harmony to the slow air as soon as I can :ph34r:

T:Windy Gyle (6/8)

Z:Peter Dunk. December 2008

M:6/8

L:1/16

Q:1/4=25

K:A

|:c3BA2 e4 E2 | B6-B6 | d6 c3BA2 | B e-e4 c6 |

c3BA2 e4 d2 | B6 E3AB2 | c3BA2 Bd3B2 | A6-A6 |

E4 B2 B3cd2 | e4 A2 d6 | c3BA2 e4 E2 | B6-B6 |

E4 c2 c3BA2 | B e-e4 d6-|d3 e d2 c3BA2 | Be3E2 A3 :|

T:Windy Gyle (9/8)

T:2 bars of 9/8 to one bar of slow 6/8 air

Z:Peter Dunk December 2008

R:Jig

M:9/8

Q:1/4=240

"1" |:cBA e2 G A3 |cBA A2 cB2 G | EFE G2 A B3 | GAB B2 d c2 e |

"5" fed a2 d A2 d | edc a2 c A2 c | BAG e2 B E2 G | ABc ecB A3 |

"9" cBA e2 G A3 | cBA A2 c B2 G | EFE G2 A B3 | eBG E2 F G2 B |

"13" Ace abg a3 |bge d2 B G2 B | cde A2 c e2 g | aec dBG A3 |

"17" BcB e2 B G2 B | E2 FGAB d2 f | efe a2 e c2 a | f2 e def B2 d |

"21" efg agb a3 | agb a2 e dBG | E2 G BcA B3 | EFG Bcd fed |

"25" cBA e2 G A3 |cBA A2 cB2 G | EFE G2 A B2 c | d2 e fed a2 g |

"29" fed a2 d A2 d | edc a2 c A2 c | BAG e2 B E2 G | ABc ecB A3 :|

Edited by tallship

Yes, I have the Syncopace CD and jolly good it is too. :) There's also an excellent version of Windy Gyle on a CD called " Ifran frammande land" by Swedish folk combo 'Ditt Ditt Darium' (one of whom is Emma Reid); this arrangement features two vocalists singing the slow air and is quite haunting.

Anyway, here's the slow air with the harmony line in the keys of G and A.

C: Alistair Anderson

Z: Peter Dunk. December 2008

Q:1/4=60

L: 1/16

V:1

|:B3AG2 d4 D2 | A6-A6 | c6 B3AG2 | A d-d4 B6 |

B3AG2 d4 c2 | A6 D3GA2 | B3AG2 Ac3A2 | G6-G6 |

D4 A2 A3Bc2 | d4 G2 c6 | B3AG2 d4 D2 | A6-A6 |

D4 B2 B3AG2 | A d-d4 c6-|c3 d c2 B3AG2 | Ad3D2 G6 :|

V:2

|:D3CB,2 G,4B,2 | A,4 D2 F3EF2 | G6 G3DB,2 | C F-F4 D6 |

B,3CD2 F4 E2 |D6 F3EF2 | G4 B,2 CF3D2 | B,6 D3CB,2 |

A,4 D2 D3CA,2 | G,4 D2 E6 | D3CB,2 G,4 B,2 | A,6 D3EF2 |

G4 D2 B,4 C2 | D F-F4 E6-|E3 F E2 D3CB,2 |CF3D2 [D6B,6]:|

Z:Peter Dunk. December 2008

L:1/16

Q:1/4=60

V:1

|:c3BA2 e4 E2 | B6-B6 | d6 c3BA2 | B e-e4 c6 |

c3BA2 e4 d2 | B6 E3AB2 | c3BA2 Bd3B2 | A6-A6 |

E4 B2 B3cd2 | e4 A2 d6 | c3BA2 e4 E2 | B6-B6 |

E4 c2 c3BA2 | B e-e4 d6-|d3 e d2 c3BA2 | Be3E2 A6 :|

V:2

|:E3DC2 A,4C2 | B,4 E2 G3FG2 | A6 A3EC2 | D G-G4 E6 |

C3DE2 G4 F2 |E6 G3FG2 | A4 C2 DG3E2 | C6 E3DC2 |

B,4 E2 E3DB,2 | A,4 E2 F6 | E3DC2 A,4 C2 | B,6 E3FG2 |

A4 E2 C4 D2 | E G-G4 F6-|F3 G F2 E3DC2 |DG3E2 [E6C6]:|

Edited by tallship

Windy Gyle. There are two very different parts one laid over the other to spectacular effect. [...] actually it still sounds charming if the whole thing is slowed to a manageable pace. All you need now is another musician to join in

I'd like to hear it, sound very intriguing. Maybe I'll input it into some music scoring software I have to get an idea with a MIDI version. Hm, wouldn't it make quite a showpiece played on a single duet? Simply transpose the air down to C and play it on the left, and transpose the slip jig up to C and play it in the right. That'd even fit on my small 46-button duet... HA!

Hm, wouldn't it make quite a showpiece played on a single duet?

Go for it Jeff, you're a far better player than I will ever be and your suggestion is impossible on a English anyway but to be honest I think left and right hands playing in different time signatures is perhaps a step too far for anyone. So make my day and prove me wrong! :D

If you're dying to hear it, the Syncopace CD it is still currently available in the UK, message me and we'll sort something out ...

Pete.

Yes, I have the Syncopace CD and jolly good it is too. :) There's also an excellent version of Windy Gyle on a CD called " Ifran frammande land" by Swedish folk combo 'Ditt Ditt Darium' (one of whom is Emma Reid); this arrangement features two vocalists singing the slow air and is quite haunting.

It's also on the CD 'Windy Gyle' by Northumbrian piper Anthony Robb and others, where it's played more slowly than the Syncopace version. Alistair is also on one track on that cd, playing concertina.

Thanks for the link John, I had no idea that Ditt Ditt Darium had a MySpace page or I would have linked to it myself. I would recommend downloading the mp3 and listening via a dedicated player unless you have a decent sound system connected to your PC.

Edit 2nd January 2018:

Things move on and links get broken on the internet, I can find no new updates so the link has now gone forever, sorry about that!

Edited by Pete Dunk

...................great posting/thread, team !!

I played the tune (Windy Gyle) from the sheet music a couple of times and though "Neh"

But then hearing Ditt Ditt Darium playing it. Fantasic ! I'm constantly surprised at how inadequate written music is to express a good tune......I guess it's what we've got but MP3's etc are for me a really useful technology.

Good New Year to all

Robin

Good to hear you'll be having fun with it Robin; I guess the next step will be to take it down to the local session and get them playing all three parts. :D

There are many occasions when I play a tune through from the dots and don't 'get' it; having the abc listing and being able to play back a midi of the tune at least gives you a basic idea of what's going on but I agree it's nice to hear tunes played by real people, especially when it's as complex as Windy Gyle.

Clever geezer that Alistair Anderson. Consummate musician, but I think his greatest talent is actually that of a composer, he's certainly turned out some lovely tunes in his time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's proper brass monkey weather here in the UK so you might just as well wrap up warm and learn a new tune. Continuing with my current hornpipe obsession, here's Rowley Burn, it just sort of rolls off the fingers ...

T:Rowley Burn

C:Forster Charlton

R:Hornpipe

M:4/4

(3def | g>fg>d e>cA>F | G>FG>B D2 (G>F) | E>cA>G F>DE>F | G>AB>c d2 (3def |

g>fg>d e>cA>F | G>FG>B D2 (G>F) | E>cA>G F>DE>F | G2 B2 G2 :|: (3Bc^c |

d>bg>d b>gd>^d | e>cG>c E>Gc>e | d>BG>B d>Bg>d | a>gf>e (3ded (3Bc^c |

d>Bg>d b>gd>^d | e>cG>c E>Gc>e | d>Bd>g f>df>a |1g2 g2 g2 :|2g2 b2 g3 |

Glad you liked it Steve. :)

I'm a bit late posting this for the weekend but there's still a day to go! Here's a real change in tempo, a lovely slow air in waltz time called The Breamish. (no, that's not a typo, it really spelled with an 'r' - unlike The Beamish which is what I used to call it, beer on the brain I guess. :wacko: )

T:Breamish, The

Z:Peter Dunk January 2009

O:Northumberland

C:Traditional, arr. Dunk

Q:1/4=120

M:3/4

R:Slow Air

K:D

Ad | f4 d2 | A4 F2 | G6 | B6 | A4 c2 | e4 g2 | f6 | d4 Ad|

f4 d2 | A4 F2 | G6 | B6 | A4 c2 | e4 g2 | (d6|d2) e2 f2 |

({a}g3) f g2 | B2 d2 g2 | f3 e f2 | A2 d2 f2 | e3 ^def | g2 B2 c2 | d2 (3cdc (3BcB | A2 d2 f2 |

({a}g3) f g2 | B2 d2 g2 | f3 e f2 | A2 d2 f2 | e3 ^def | g2 B2 c2 |(d6 |d4) :|

• 2 months later...

The Breamish works well as a set with the rather tricky Random jig. The weather doesn't look too good for the weekend so you'll have plenty of time to get stuck into this one.

T:Random

Q:300

K:D

A | d2 d f(ed) | cea ecA | B2 B d(fg) | Bed cBA | d2 d f(ed) cea ecA |

B2 B d(fg) | B(ec) d2 :||: D | DFA FAd | Adf dfa | aga geg fdf ecA |

DFA FAd | Adf dfa | dcd fed c(dB) A2 :||: B | Aaa Bbb | Ggg Aaa |

Ddd efg | Bed cBA | Aaa Bbb | Ggg Aaa | Ddd efg | B(ec)d :|

Here's another taxing little tune by one of the masters of the Northumbrian smallpipes, Billy Pigg. Spend a little time working out the fingerings ...

T:Biddlestone Hornpipe

C:Billy Pigg

R:Hornpipe

M:4/4

D | G>dB>G F>A D2 | E>Gc>e d>BG>B | (3cde (3ABc (3Bcd G>B | A>BA>G F>Ad>D |

G>dB>G F>A D2 | E>Gc>e d>BG>B | (3cde (3ABc (3Bcd G>d |1e>cA>F G3 :|2e>cA>F G2 |

|: (3def |g>dB>g f>a d2 | (3efg c>e d>BG>B | (3cde A>c (3Bcd G>B | A>^ce>g f>de>f |

g>dB>g f>a d2 | (3efg c>e d>BG>B | (3cde (3ABc (3Bcd G>d |1e>cA>F G2 :|2e>cA>F G3 |