Klezmer Tune -- Boogich Bulgar

CrP

Several more by the same group -- "Naches" -- the note indicates the performance occurred in March 2008

"Doina & Skočna" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbZoETZrhp4

"Obodivker dance & Chasidic happy tune [meaning, most likely, a 'freylakh']" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdKmM58FR-EThe video for this one has problems but the sound is OK

and

"Fun der chupe" with a nice melody intro on English concertina before the band picks up the tempo. The bess player does a really nice solo shortly into the piece : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9oR97KIu04

• 1 year later...

Yes, I play a great deal of klezmer (and Yiddish & E. European) music on anglo. Without getting into a definition of klezmer [the best succint version of which I found in Mark Slobin's introduction to the book, American Klezmer, 2002, U of California Press. ISBN 0-520-22717-4], I can tell you that an anglo concertina can sound really good for this, IMHO. It works very well as accompaniment for singing. If you play with other musicians, then you can find a role for concertina that may vary from melody to chords to harmony, depending on the sound that the band is aiming at and you skill with the instrument.

Here's the caveat: A great deal of the music that many klezmer musicians play winds up being in Dminor and Gminor, so a concertina player will need to be able to play in those keys and to find work-arounds for the chords that don't fall easily, e.g., Cminor, C7. I just came back from a practise  and recall the frequency of this modulation: D major C minor, D major and then you'll need Eflat (major) sometimes for the G minor stuff -- that's hard to get in the right register on a C/G instrument.

So, I am fortunate to have 2 concertinas that serve well -- one is a 44-key in Bflat/F, so its related minor keys are easy & handy -- Dm & Gm. I also have a modified 34-key Jones on which I had Greg Jowaisas substitue push Bflat/ pull E and C#/F# reeds for the "novelty noise" buttons [baby cry, etc.] so I can esily play G minor, C7 and some other combinations that you can't do  or can't do easily on a standard C/G 3-key anglo.

Rereading this thread after a year + now that it’s active again, it occurs to me to point out that the name of the group in the above videos (“Naches”) is a Yiddish word for pleasure or pride (especially as derived from the accomplishments of one’s children). It is not pronounced to rhyme with the English word, “matches." The vowels rhyme with the vowels in “pockets,” but the “ch” is more of a throat-clearing sound.