New Vs. Vintage

And so, if you get a modern instrument it will have waterproof glue and be much better than a vintage one for sitting on and paddling if you want to travel on a river or lake..............or am I off topic :ph34r:

I would be very careful to mention anything resembling Concertina in this topic.

It'll be totally inapropriate.

I don't think personal automobile is necessarily an addition to a musical instrument, and if you want to live on the island in the middle of remote mountain lake AND play concertina - you have to set your priorities and check finances. A concertina, a car, chicken every day, TV, radio - all are luxuries, taken for granted by too many, and for the wrong reason. I personally would have let go a chicken, a TV, a Car and a Radio. Then I'd let go musical instrument, concertina or not.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a week in the field doing research and look at the can of worms I come home to...

Well, I think I'll follow my initial idea and go with a hybrid for now, as a learner instrument that can still be appreciated for tone, while waiting for a higher end instrument down the road. By the time that rolls around, I'll have a better idea of what I prefer between a vintage or newly made instrument, but I think I will likely go with a new instrument. For the record, I do play Irish music, and it is quite an obsession, so I cant see that changing any time soon. When I began playing the fiddle, I came from playing jazz guitar, so I could appreciate the benefit of good tone. I opted not to buy a cheap ($500) fiddle and instead save for a decent instrument (which I got for a steal, and not much more than the cheapos) which I still play, and get many compliments on its tone. I have just finished an undergrad degree and am starting to work as a researcher, which will hopefully lead to grad school. These are big economic decisions, but I know I will be able to afford a good instrument in a few years, and I will have the time to save. Viewing the buy/sell lately, im not worried about depreciation on value of a hybrid as they seem to be selling near what they cost new (minus the cost of "utility"). Perhaps I'll love the tone of the hybrid and stick with that, but I do love the tone of the traditional reeded instruments I've had the opportunity to play with (and their players).

Anyways, I'll be calling Mr. Tedrow, Mr. Edgely or Mr. Morse in the next few weeks and ordering a black wooden ended, jeffries system concertina.

Looking forward to learning all these tunes in my head on the new box.

Brandon

So, Ive been playing the fiddle for quite some years and know a good load of tunes. Im happy with my fiddle playing, but I most enjoy playing with a small group, usually a flutist friend and my girlfriend on C#/D box. Ive been planning to take up the concertina at some point, and I've been playing around with a Stagi 20 button, and have gotten some tunes down on that instrument, despite the limited range. Ive been saving for a mid-range instrument, and have about enough now for something like and Edgley or Tedrow, or possibly a mahogany Lachenal or Jones. I could save a bit more and get a rosewood Lach as well.

My plan is to buy one of these instruments and put a down payment on a Sutner or Dipper soon after. Because of this plan, Im more concerned with playability and responsiveness than true concertina tone, as by the time ive played enough to consider myself a serious player, I'll have a top quality instrument.

Which would be the best choice for the meantime? I like the sound of the older instruments, but do they play as crisply as an Edgley? I know opinions would be varied, but I need to inform my decision as there aren't many concertinas (or concertinists) around to compare with.

If you prefer not to voice your opinions openly, please PM me.

Thanks!

just so you know, new makers have a waiting list often of 3+ years. so, plan your purchase three years ahead of when you'll have the money.

There is one new maker that makes superb instruments, with a shorter waiting list (he hasn't built that many yet): Jeff Thomas. Absolutely top class. (I am the proud owner of one of his beauties). So, give it some thought.