Eleventh Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

Hallo one and all!

It is that time of year when once again we play Mornington Crescent in memory of that fine early player and inventor of the inverse diagonal, Charles Wheatstone, who also had something to do with the concertina if memory serves me right.

Last year's winner, showing much style and aplomb for one so young, was Stuart Estell. In accordance with ancient tradition, therefore, it gives me much pleasure to call upon him to set special rules and provisions and make the first move.

I shall take my customary position as chair and remind you all that I have taken the Mornington Crescent Chairpersons Oath Of Sacred Incorruptibility, one consequence of which is, of course, that I can only accept bribes in unmarked notes.

Let battle commence!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am indeed honoured to be laying the foundations of this year's game; many thanks for your kind words, Chris.

The late Harold Trousers, the Black Country industrial magnate who founded the world's first knee factory, once said to his wife "Way've bin all rowernd the Wraykin and ar still ent got mi scratchins". These words came towards the end of a spectacular shopping trip which saw them depart Halesowen and its environs to purchase said delicacy from the local butchers, taking in Shropshire, the Rhondda valley, Mandalay, and pockets of the as-yet undiscovered North Korea. This was no small feat considering they were travelling by tram.

In honour of that momentous journey, this game will employ the Wrekin Rules, which can be simply expressed thus:

• Yo con goo where yo want, speshly if yo con get bosti fittle
  • If it's black owver Bill's muthers, gerrout the overgrowernd stashuns *

I will, as is customary, make the first move to

EARL'S COURT

Where I once observed closely as Mrs. Trellis was attacked by an oyster.

Samantha will be keeping score, as ever, although she may have to leave early to see her gentleman friend, who she says hasn't taken her round the Wrekin in some time.

* Translation: all usual moves are permitted, but preference is given to stations where it is possible to purchase fine comestibles in the near vicinity. If it's threatening rain, keep out of the overground tube stations.

Edited by StuartEstell

"Scratchins" Stuart?

Where I come from "scratchins" were the little bits of left over batter from the deep fried fish vats in the chip shop. In Leicester (go Foxes!) all of the local merchants were canny enough to realise that they could sell these for a penny or two a bag to impoverished tykes like me. Doused in salt and vinegar - mmmmmm, good.

The cod fish involved came from the waters off Newfoundland so lets go to:

Canada Water

although I am pretty sure these are no cod in Rotherhithe.

Don - resting after a breakfast of pikelets and marmite.

Edited by Don Taylor

Playing

Wapping

'coz as we all know after that there won't be no stopping...

They like a good knees-up in Wapping so let's stop at:

Upney

(In Barking we always asked the chippy for "crackling" - which, oddly, also has a porcine connection.)

I knew pork scratchings as pork crackling but over here in North America they are known as pork rinds and you can buy them ready to eat in bags (like crisp or chip bags). What a great idea! A great pity that you cannot buy fish scratchings in bags at the local store.

My wife refuses to let me buy pork rinds because they are both disgusting and, she says, fatal.

Speaking of disgusting food and trying to stick to the rules laid down by Stuart, lets go to Twickenham which is near Eel Pie Island. Eel pie!

Musically, Eel Pie Island is where British R&B was born. Not much concertina heard at the Crawdaddy Club, but still...

Speaking of disgusting food and trying to stick to the rules laid down by Stuart, lets go to Twickenham which is near Eel Pie Island. Eel pie!

Musically, Eel Pie Island is where British R&B was born. Not much concertina heard at the Crawdaddy Club, but still...

I'll head for

Knightsbridge

and pop into Harrods for something a bit more upmarket in the Food Hall.

As Fish and Chip shops have been mentioned, I will go for a 'flier' with:

Brixham Fish Market.

Sole are a little scarce at the moment, and no landings so far today, probably because of the howling F8 gale!

Roger

PS: I should add that the Brixham branch line terminates (or did terminate) just a short distance away - that's where

the fish was shipped from back in the day...

Edited by lachenal74693

Local knowledge does count for a lot. Hence Stuart's Neasden move shows an awareness of Neasden's old nickname of sunny Neasd'en Provence, in conformance with his own Wrekin rules proposition. A small pointer for some of our less experienced readers. Understanding subtle points like this will help your own play.

Chris