Concertina Building

I've never tried making anything more complex than a whistle.  I'm eagerly awaiting the continuation of this.

Glad to hear it - and here it comes! Not much, but still an important step forward - I changed direction this time and spent some time finetuning the drawings, with focus on the buttons placement. (Got to be right, or else...)

/Henrik

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Honourable c.netters -

Again I find myself in a boring meeting room that has a wireless network...

Which gives me a chance to say that I will be silent for a couple of weeks: work, visitors and a trip to Vienna next week prevent me from starting any major building processes.

Status per now is that I have received the German silver plates for the ends and have ordered bushing felt, pads, sampers, thumbstrap- and handstrap screws (both?!).

Hopefully, I will manage to buy brass wire for the springs today and try to meet the person that can make my lever posts, tomorrow. New wood (maple) strips for the reedpans are still missing, but that can wait 'till I am back.

The worst part now is really to maintain the level of patience...

/Henrik

• 1 month later...

The worst part now is really to maintain the level of patience...

/Henrik

But that is better now!

After a travelling, work, more travelling and a nasty throat problem that kept me out of circulation for two weeks - so I missed the Arran Concertina Event, grrrrh! - (and left me feeling like an old, wet rag the following week), I am now back on track!

But first, a new angel has arrived in the collection. Henk, the kind man, sent me a new angel to cheer me up in my despair! She (baptized Henkia) has now taken her place in the "Angels" section in "Concertina Figurines" on my site.

Building

The project is going nicely forward - a new reed pane is now ready and an action board as well.

All can be seen here - three new pages have been added, to show the process.

I have also received my Geuns-Wakker-action-replacement-type lever posts, soon to be added to the action board along with the brass plate levers. I already foresee that I am going to be very tired from handcuttting levers. I imagined that I could make do with one size only...he, he - some imagination!

Light (or the lack of it) for photos is becoming a problem - expect more photos with flash.

/Henrik

... missed the Arran Concertina Event, grrrrh! - (and left me feeling like an old, wet rag the following week) ...

/Henrik

Ah, but those of us that were there felt like old, wet, rags the week after, too! Glad you're feeling better Henrik. The next Arran Concertina Event will be 6th to 9th October 2006 - will your little monster be ready by then :P ?!

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

... missed the Arran Concertina Event, grrrrh! - (and left me feeling like an old, wet rag the following week) ...

/Henrik

- will your little monster be ready by then :P ?!

Samantha

At this point, I feel that a realistic deadline is actually SSI 2006 (there is a long, useful Christmas holiday some where in the middle). What wonderful excuses I will be able to make: "Sorry, can't come - I have some German silver end plates to polish...")

And it isn't "little", thank you very much - it's full-grown concertina size: 6 1/4" across the flats!

But small in range - suits my brain size :D

/Henrik

• 1 month later...

Dear all -

I have made a significant change to my building series on my site: added a small, menu on top of every page.

This way one can freely jump between sections - no more "Next, Next, Next...", though the "Next" and "Previous" links are still there.

I hope to have some new stuff up tomorrow - things have are moving at snail speed, clamped down by various demands from job, family, and stuff like that.

Bushing felt

Has been difficult. I want thin, vowen felt. Even special fabric-only shops go blank when they hear the word "vowen".

But again I was amazed to find rescue just around the corner.

When I got far enough to understand that that kind of felt is the stuff pianos are made of (plus a few things more) I realised that we have a real live piano repairer in town. And sure enough: he kindly donated a strip of wonderful, thin, red vowen felt (he called "Kashmir felt, "garnishing felt" (lit.) or Simply "Red felt" (He-henk).

Why am I so exited about this? Because...

In order to make the bushing boards I need to have the felt, 'cos then I will know the size of the button holes and thus the size of the button holes in the end plate and in my "Tedrowed" aluminum dummy end plate that will hold the buttons when I set the action. And then I can let Roy, the black-belt tool maker around the other corner prepare another one of his super drills, so the bushing board doesn't splinter when I drill it. That's why.

Another thought has struck me during these months - have there even been any attempts to make sort of "Concertina Innards Terminology Manual"? Because I found that I am using words I have picked up and learned along the way, and add new ones when I don't know. Any thoughts here?

Dinner time...

/Henrik

Hopefully I can add another page tomorrow, provided I get some of these done:

post-448-1133024697_thumb.jpg

I just love jigs(awing)...

Henrik, I can't see most of the pictures on your website, doesn't matter if using Firefox or IE, is anyone else having this problem? Story is fascinating though....

Lars

Hi, Lars -

That was worrying... the only thing I did yesterday was add a chunk of HTML in every file - the chunk that creates the "[1] [2] [3]..."-menu at the top.

And sorry for getting into nitty-gritty details: each page is not supposed to show any photos before one of the links below the text block is clicked.

When you you say "I can't see most of the pictures..." which do you see?

I have checked the site on IE (on Mac) - certain text details differ, like the top menu - I will look into that, but otherwise it behaves OK. I'll check it on IE and FireFox on a PC later today - I have done that earlier, but not after the changes yesterday.

I am an HTML-amateur - I hope I can fix it it.

/Henrik

Henrik, I can't see most of the pictures on your website, doesn't matter if using Firefox or IE, is anyone else having this problem? Story is fascinating though....

Lars

Hi, Lars -

I have checked the site on IE (on Mac) - certain text details differ, like the top menu - I will look into that, but otherwise it behaves OK. I'll check it on IE and FireFox on a PC later today - I have done that earlier, but not after the changes yesterday.

/Henrik

It seems Ok in Firefox, once you'ld explained that the top line takes you to a new section, but pictures don' t appear until you click on the links down the page.

Fascinating project though - really brings home the amount of work in making a concertina!

Lars

Hi, Lars -

/Henrik

It seems Ok in Firefox, once you'ld explained that the top line takes you to a new section, but pictures don' t appear until you click on the links down the page.

Fascinating project though - really brings home the amount of work in making a concertina!

", but pictures don' t appear until you click on the links down the page. " - yes, I have started to think about that, right now. It does seem confusing that you come to a new - seemingly blank page. Let me think some more. Meanwhile, I have dug myself into some more HTML - I realised that the top menu turned into separate lines on IE (Mac, probaly Win as well) and that a comment line appeared in FireFox Win. That is being fixed right now.

/Henrik

I want to build concertinas, not do web design :ph34r:

", but pictures don' t appear until you click on the links down the page. " - yes, I have started to think about that, right now. It does seem confusing that you come to a new - seemingly blank page. Let me think some more.

Looks fine to me, as long as one reads the instructions that sit where the photo might be expected. Or is that something you've added since the "complaints"? :unsure:

Looks fine to me, as long as one reads the instructions that sit where the photo might be expected. Or is that something you've added since the "complaints"? :unsure:

Exactly what I did - better safe than sorry.

And to make up for all the confusion, I have added a new "build" page - number [16]!

/Henrik

Exactly what I did - better safe than sorry.

And to make up for all the confusion, I have added a new "build" page - number [16]!

/Henrik

:blink: Ok, I've got it now!! Sorry Henrik, have never seen it done that way before. Working fine now, I should have paid closer attention to the instructions. Thanks,

Lars

... have never seen it done that way before. ...

Neither have I :D - in retrospect, I could have made each page show the first photos of the set, but that still wouldn't indicate that the links should be clicked. Interfaces are fascinating - can always be improved, and one size doesn't fit all.

But if you guys hadn't cried out, I would never have made the all changes I did yesterday (of which many are invisible to some and make the whole difference to others) :)

/Henrik

... have never seen it done that way before. ...

Neither have I :D

Maybe you saw it at

this site? :unsure:

Yes - one should never forget one's ancestors:

I borrowed Henk's code when I started my site - but Henk doesn't use a big blank spaces at any time :D - leaving it up to the user to find out what goes on :blink:

/Henrik