Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

I've just been playing through a few tunes from this thread - the Pumpherston Hornpipe, Madame Bonaparte, and Auld Robin Gray - and have been having great fun :D So thankyou to tallship for posting all of those :). Auld Robin Gray is a particularly nice tune.

Also, I transposed Madame Bonaparte into F major so that I'd be able to play it without my currently defective high F# - I hope that isn't sacrilege!

Never mind the Keel Row.

Has anybody managed all Eight variations of "Oh Dear What Can the Matter Be"? (The First tune of this thread)

Yes, two people here. I haven't played it for a while so would need to practice it back up but it is playable at a reasonable pace. My other half plays it on English concertina, flute, recorder and whistle ...

I cannot find where these eight variations are - I know the original most famous version which goes "three old ladies got locked in a lavatory"

Then I just found one saying it was seven old ladies who got locked in the lavatory.

I presume the extra syllables (three vs sev en affect the notation and the push and pull... any experts out there or the eight-variation person?

Edited by Kautilya

the only pity is that you cannot slow the ABC down so one can gradually get the run of the fingering and then build up speed (a la Alan Day typing concept....

Oh yes you can! The speed of an abc file is set by a field in the header (all of those funny things at the beginning of the file). Speed is set in the Q: field. First set the default note length i.e. 1/8 or 1/4 and so on and then set the beats per minute. I find that the statement Q: 1/4=150 is a good starting point for most tunes. Slow airs will be too fast at this speed and fast reels too slow so the beat rate of 150 needs to be adjusted; for learning purposes try 80-90. Remember that the key signature field K: must be the last statement in the header. The Q: field can be added anywhere after X: and before K:

Have you tried any of the abc software that's available for free download?

Pete.

Got to slow it (The Breamish) down and speed it up - tks Pete. I must find another tunifier somewhere on my machine which allowed you to slow/speedup but also a loop function to repeat sections for phrasing - I see I have one called Audacity so somone must have mentioned it before here. :unsure:

The abc file for Oh! Dear, What Can The Matter Be with variations appears in the very first post of this thread!

When I mentioned abc software I meant things like ABC Explorer or ABC Navigator 2. Either of these will allow you to loop tunes and adjust the tempo easily.

To loop a single passage or phrase copy the file header into notepad (or any other text based editor) then copy the bit of tune you want to loop and paste it below the header text. Now select and copy the whole of the notepad text, go back to your ABC software, click new tune and paste the truncated version into the editor window and edit the title so you don't lose your practice piece. Have fun!

Pete.

Edited to add a link to the top post!

Edited by tallship

I've just been playing through a few tunes from this thread - the Pumpherston Hornpipe, Madame Bonaparte, and Auld Robin Gray - and have been having great fun :D So thankyou to tallship for posting all of those :). Auld Robin Gray is a particularly nice tune.

Also, I transposed Madame Bonaparte into F major so that I'd be able to play it without my currently defective high F# - I hope that isn't sacrilege!

Good to hear you're having fun with the tunes and I don't think there's anything wrong at all in transposing tunes to other keys, particularly if it gets you around a problem with your concertina. :)

The abc file for Oh! Dear, What Can The Matter Be with variations appears in the very first post of this thread!

When I mentioned abc software I meant things like ABC Explorer or ABC Navigator 2. Either of these will allow you to loop tunes and adjust the tempo easily.

To loop a single passage or phrase copy the file header into notepad (or any other text based editor) then copy the bit of tune you want to loop and paste it below the header text. Now select and copy the whole of the notepad text, go back to your ABC software, click new tune and paste the truncated version into the editor window and edit the title so you don't lose your practice piece. Have fun!

Pete.

Edited to add a link to the top post!

Will have a go -- ta. :P

Inspired by a new project on melodeon.net called 'Tune of the Month' in which forum members vote for their favourite tune from a short list of nominations and then provide an audio or video performance of their interpretation, here's the delicious choice for November, L'inconnu de Limoise

Check out the submissions so far on this page. It's early days yet though so keep going back as the month goes on...

And no, I haven't joined in yet because I play melodeon like an elephant in boxing gloves!

X:1

T:L'inconnu de Limoise

C:J.F (Maxou)Heintzen

R:Mazurka

M:3/4

L:1/8

K:G

D/ G>A |: B2 -B>G c>A | B2 -B>B c>d | c2 -c>B A>G| D2 -D>D G>A |

B2 -B>G c>A | B2 -B>B c>d | c2 -c>B A>G|1 A2 -A>D G>A :|2 A2 -A>B c>d |

|: e2 g>f e>f | d2 -d>c B>A | G>F G>A B>G | D2 G2 F2 | E2 -E>F G>A |

G2 F2 E2 |1 F2 -F>E F>G | A2 -A>B c>d :|2 F2 -F>G A>B | G6 ||

Inspired by a new project on melodeon.net called 'Tune of the Month' in which forum members vote for their favourite tune from a short list of nominations and then provide an audio or video performance of their interpretation, here's the delicious choice for November

Cool!

I'm in a big French mazurka thing right now... have also been playing the Capitaine mazurka and the Fubu mazurka. You can never play tooooo many mazurkas.

Thanks for the tune,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I play the basic tune but this set of variations is pretty much beyond me, lovely stuff though. This may even tempt RatFace into recording it. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the fiendishly difficult Morpeth Rant. :D

X:705

T:The Morpeth Rant

S:Gow: Repository for the German Flute, 1812, book 2

B:NLS Glen.127

M:2/4

L:1/16

Q:1/4=96

K:D

(3ABc |d2AG FDFA |BGBd cAce |fdge afed |c2e2e2 |

(3ABc |d2AG FDFA |BGBd cAce |fd'c'b agfe |f2d2d2||

(3abc'|d'afd Bege |afed dcBA |gege fdfd |c2A2A2 |

(3AB=c|BGBd gfed |cAce agfe |fd'c'b agfe |f2d2d2||