Anglo left hand thumb strap

Bob Lusk

I have a lot of hand problems from playing a variety of instruments including arthritis, trigger finger and carpal tunnel. I've had a few operations and am doing better, but still have some daily swelling in the left hand.

At the Old Songs festival in NY this weekend I was sitting behind Stewart Dean who uses hand straps on his EC and suddenly thought of using a thumb strap on my Anglo. With a little more thought I realized that all I had to do was to lengthen the strap a bit and that there is room to put my thumb in a loop on the other side of the buckle! Between the buckle and the screw. Doesn't work on the right hand because of the need for the air button, but seems fine for the left. I have been using it this way for a few days. Takes a few seconds longer to get in an out of the strap but seems to give me more strength and stability in the left hand. And best of all of course is that there is no modification to the instrument.

Bob Lusk

Bob,

I made longer straps for mine for just that reason. I find that by flexing my thumb out, I can control the tightness of the strap. In fact I once asked on this forum about adding a thumb strap to the L side of an anglo and got the usual pros and cons. If it works for me and it works for you, then that's 2 of us. I wonder if there are more?unsure.gif

Nice to hear at least one other person has found it helpful. I feel slight claustraphobia about not being able to get out of the straps as quickly, but it's not too bad. It certainly is giving my hand some relief.