44 Key Aeola English

I recently bought a 44 Key English Aeola. It has raised ebony ends and dates from around 1909, a time which unfortunately the Wheatstone records are missing. While I was in some way frustrated that it didn't have the full 48 keys, I couldn't resist as the sound and response were better than anything I had ever played. It so light, yet loud and effortless to play. I'm guessing this may be a unique experiment from Wheatstone? I certainly can't find records of another 44 key except from the earliest days. The advantage of dispensing with the top A B Bb C gives more space to create a more evenly designed instrument, allowing a wonderful response and sound by removing little-used reeds. It may be that it was unsuccessful because the 48 key model was the standard. Any thoughts anyone.....

I'm guessing this may be a unique experiment from Wheatstone?

Not necessarily an "experiment" initiated by the Wheatstone company itself. They made many instruments to custom order, and I would guess that this is likely one of those.

This is the idea behind the 37-key trebles some of the hybrid makers do. Morse, and I believe, Marcus. I think Wakker also does an EC with fewer super-high notes. Nobody plays those high notes for trad music, and losing them lightens and quickens response a bit.

I like a 48--a TENOR 48, that is. Or a BARITONE 48. The high notes on a treble are a ridiculous waste of the ergonomic area where your fingers fall comfortably on an EC. If I'm going to have more than 37 ish EC notes, I prefer lower notes--on a Tenor, they are are delightful for adding some bass sounds as well as for playing an octave low in "baritone" mode when you feel like it.

Edited by ceemonster

Certainly not unique unless its the same one I bought for £60 in Herefordshire,England as a result of an advertisement I put in Exchabge & Mart on the 4th April 1974.

If it was it cost me rather more than £60!. Any idea of the number/age?

This is the idea behind the 37-key trebles some of the hybrid makers do. Morse, and I believe, Marcus. I think Wakker also does an EC with fewer super-high notes. Nobody plays those high notes for trad music, and losing them lightens and quickens response a bit.

I like a 48--a TENOR 48, that is. Or a BARITONE 48. The high notes on a treble are a ridiculous waste of the ergonomic area where your fingers fall comfortably on an EC. If I'm going to have more than 37 ish EC notes, I prefer lower notes--on a Tenor, they are are delightful for adding some bass sounds as well as for playing an octave low in "baritone" mode when you feel like it.

Interesting. I dont think I would want to reduce any more than 44 though, but never really use the top 4 notes...

I'm guessing this may be a unique experiment from Wheatstone?

Not necessarily an "experiment" initiated by the Wheatstone company itself. They made many instruments to custom order, and I would guess that this is likely one of those.

May be so. It seems an odd thing to order though as it must have cost quite a bit to get everything redesigned in this way.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it cost more to have a bunch of buttons, works, and reeds left out!

Except that this is not just leaving some bits out, but a completely different reed pan design. Its not just that there are buttons and reeds missing.