Beware Of Scams!

Paul Schwartz

Here's another one!!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheatstone-Lachenal-English-Concertina-/160952366345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2579823509

And another straight after www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheatstone-Lachenal-English-Concertina-/160952366345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2579823509

That's odd, I've copied and pasted them separately, but the same info has come up. I reckon that proves it!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a bid on for the Aeola as I wanted to see what happened. Ebay didn't hang around this time, sent me an email just before midnight. The tinas are gone. Yet again there were many (I lost count) of high value guitars and saxes (Gibson, Fender, Selmer etc) and photo and microscope stuff too. I didn't get to the end of the list. A lot of the guitars and saxes had several bids on them after only 4 hours on sale.

Message received as follows:

Thank you for your interest in this listing:

150977014359 - Vintage Wheatstone concertina Aola squeeze box

Unfortunately, the listing is no longer available. We understand that this may be disappointing, but sometimes we need to remove listings to protect buyers.

There are three main reasons why we remove listings:

-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.

-- The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.

-- The listing contains pictures or words in it that may have created copyright or trademark issues.

If the seller is able to fix the problem and relist the item, we hope you'll consider buying it. For privacy reasons, we're not able to give more specific details

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Over the last couple of weeks or so I have seen 2 similar Ebay postings to the one above. On each occasion there was a high end concertina offered for sale with a buy it now price but when looking at the listing again a few days later the item has changed to something similar to the link given above.

Something strange going on with Ebay listings or a scam as suggested above ?

• 1 year later...

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msd/4906651393.html compared to http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/superb-tenor-treble-lachenal-163338281 . I emailed seller (Alex?), who advised he wants payment by bank transfer. The low price, combined with the wish to receive payment by bank transfer, and the fact that this is clearly a straight cut and paste job from a previous ebay auction suggests that it may not be genuine. The seller even emailed me the same photographs that were on the ebay auction.

Clearly the language used is of a person who knows about concertinas yet the price is not!

I picture somebody sending the money and then receiving a brick wrapped carefully in a large parcel a few days later!

Clearly the language used is of a person who knows about concertinas yet the price is not!

I picture somebody sending the money and then receiving a brick wrapped carefully in a large parcel a few days later!

I'd rather guess he would'nt receive a thing a at all... :rolleyes:

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msd/4906651393.html compared to http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/superb-tenor-treble-lachenal-163338281 . I emailed seller (Alex?), who advised he wants payment by bank transfer. The low price, combined with the wish to receive payment by bank transfer, and the fact that this is clearly a straight cut and paste job from a previous ebay auction suggests that it may not be genuine. The seller even emailed me the same photographs that were on the ebay auction.

With such clear evidence of a scam you should report it to Craigslit.

I've tried to Theo. The site seems to send you round in circles. I'm not convinced that they are terribly interested in the content of their site. Needless to say I'm going to avoid Craigslist like the plague!

That's a pity. I reporte a couple of scams on Gumtree a while ago and was very impressed with the speedy and effective response. The suspect ads were removed immediately, and I think the advertiser was banned too.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, please do not respond to ads/scams showing this Jeffries. It is safely on my workbench and in the process of refurbishment. (And promises to be a nice instrument indeed!)

Greg