Beware Of Scams!

Paul Schwartz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, judging by the way This Thread is going, over on Melodeon.net it looks like some folks believe now that these instruments may in fact be ligit!

Still, I reckon it's far better for us to be safe, rather than sorry & warn folks in advance, when things look a bit iffy, just in case.

Cheers

Dick

Pictures of the instruments seem to be appearing one by one in each listing. The background is consistent and to me lends some credence of legitimacy. Precious little written information except concerning the Dipper.

Which one of our UK members volunteers to set up an appointment and see the instruments in person?

Greg

Well, according to Martyn White, of this forum, he says that:

"I have just spoken to a customer of mine who knew the the owner, who is now sadly deceased.

So this is indeed a genuine sale. The concertinas were purchased from Chris Algar at Barleycorn.

Lets hope the relatives get the best prices for these wonderful instruments." :)

If only I had the money!

Chris

Pictures of the instruments seem to be appearing one by one in each listing. The background is consistent and to me lends some credence of legitimacy. Precious little written information except concerning the Dipper.

That's good to know Greg.

If these are in fact genuine, then they are certainly getting a fair bit of publicity on the net.

Which one of our UK members volunteers to set up an appointment and see the instruments in person?

Greg

Sorry, but much as I'd love to see them, I'm across the water myself, in Norn Iron & with 6" of Snow in my garden, it snowing heavily right now & the country lane we are on being completely blocked ..... I'm afraid I ain't going nowhere! :(

I look forward to learning more about them though & of their former owner.

Cheers

Dick

A friend of mine died in Hastings recently, and he owned many melodeons and high end concertinas. The list of concertinas seems to fit those he owned, and I played them all about a year ago.

I've now been in touch with my friend's daughter, who has confirmed that it is her brother who has posted the instruments on e-bay. From my memory of last year, when I played most of the instruments, they were all in good condition.

My friend's favourite was the B flat Jefferies, which played like a dream. My own favourite was the D/G Jefferies, which was immaculate. I don't think all the concertinas came from Chris Algar, but a majority certainly did.

Pity I'm not in the market

Peter

the same seller is currently listing 3 separate jeffries concertinas

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEFFRIES-ANGLO-CONCERTINA-C-G-45-BUTTON-/250738288096?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3a612aa5e0

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEFFRIES-ANGLO-CONCERTINA-D-G-31-BUTTON-/250738287564?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3a612aa3cc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEFFRIES-ANGLO-CONCERTINA-Bb-F-/250738287059?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3a612aa1d3

the asking price on all 3 is £4750. None have photos. The descriptions are minimal.

It is the same seller advertising the Dipper, though there is a more extensive description in that case.

- John Wild

If you go to melodeon.net you can find more info on these concertinas, and some melodeons, they appear to be legit.

melodeon.net thread

Just to repeat a posting I placed elsewhere - I was the original commissioning owner of the Dipper bass. It was bought by a gentleman at an address in the indicated area and the details given are correct as provided by me at the time of sale. He was a genuine good ebay buyer, who paid a fair price at the time of purchase. Like others previously, I wish I could afford to buy, especially this one as it has sentimental value for me. The eventual buyer will have an outstanding instrument.

• 5 months later...
Guest Karlosales

I have a H.Crabb Concertina for sale with,two, hand written signed letters explaining adjustments to concertina.The serial no(17402)dates it 1962. The Concertina is in unused mint condition! Extremely loud! With the importance of the letters,I expect a value of around £3000

I have a H.Crabb Concertina for sale with,two, hand written signed letters explaining adjustments to concertina.The serial no(17402)dates it 1962. The Concertina is in unused mint condition! Extremely loud! With the importance of the letters,I expect a value of around £3000

You should list this as a new thread Karlosales. Also, it would be a help if you supply photos and your location. I'm sure someone would eant to come and take a look at the instrument.

Edited by Paul Read

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Heads up. I thought there was only one of these and I know the owner. I've asked him but beware if you're thinking of buying.

Double reed Wheatstone

You don't say whether or not the owner is actually selling.

This would help determine whether this is a scam.

Edited by SteveS

Heads up. I thought there was only one of these and I know the owner. I've asked him but beware if you're thinking of buying.

Double reed Wheatstone

You don't say whether or not the owner is actually selling.

This would help determine whether this is a scam.

Apologies, I meant to put Crabb and the owner isn't selling