Bonjour Mazurks/ Waltz

Alan Day

I have been playing this new tune for a couple of days now,it is already one of my favourites,see if you agree.

The ending Chris is just for you "Mon Ami"

Al

Bonjour Mazurka/ Waltz (Alan Day)

Tune now deleted

Edited by Alan Day

I have been playing this new tune for a couple of days now,it is already one of my favourites,see if you agree.

Al

A very nice tune, Al. I love the ending. ;) It is not too dissimilar to Sally Sloan's Varsoviana, which has been in my repertoire for some time, and other varsoviana variants. See the ABC below.

X:1

T:Sally Sloan's Varsoviana

S:Sally Sloan

A:Lithgow, New South Wales, Australia

M:3/4

R:Varsoviana

L:1/8

K:G

B>c|d2 c2 A2|G4 B>c|d2 g2 f2|e4 f>g|!

a2 g2 (3efe|d4 c>B|c2 A2 F2|G4:|!

g2|f>e B2 e2|d>B GA BG|c>A F2 e2|d4 g2|!

f>e B2 e2|d>B GA BA|c>A F2 A2|G4:|

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Al

Al, is this very pleasant little melody one of your own original compositions ? I guess so. All the better for being short and sweet.

Al

Al, is this very pleasant little melody one of your own original compositions ? I guess so. All the better for being short and sweet.

It is one of mine Rod thanks.

Glad you liked the ending Chris,I know the Mazurka you refer to ,but I am happy that it is similar, but not the same.It is always a concern when you compose a tune that someone else has done it before and you write out something learnt as child. Someone sings some words to Manor Royal March "A" part so that may be an example. One of my early tunes was a hymn that I changed. Mike, the guitarist I work with, sat up at three in the morning and recognised where it came from and Emailed me the next morning. It is an advantage to have been on the Folk scene for many years as you do recognise tunes or the song tunes that your composition almost copies. At that point you can forget it and write another, or bend it enough to make it different. Luckily I did not copy or use Varsoviana to write this one and upset Sally.

This Bonjour Mazurka can be played on a standard CG Box I just use the accidentals and the two rows for the accompaniment.

Al

Al

A very nice tune, Al. I love the ending. ;) It is not too dissimilar to Sally Sloan's Varsoviana, which has been in my repertoire for some time, and other varsoviana variants. See the ABC below.

Chris

Third bar, second measure "C". Isn't it jarring? Is that correct? Why?

I tried to research Varsovienne, but didn't get much results.

I am familiar with the tune, named Varshavyanka, or Varsovienne - a revolutionary Polish song. Never knew that Varsovienne is a round dance.

Alan's tune is very nice. I would not dwell on those long basses and chords though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVoVlGGJHHU

Edited by m3838

Al

Chris

I am familiar with the tune, named Varshavyanka, or Varsovienne - a revolutionary Polish song. Never knew that Varsovienne is a round dance.

Alan's tune is very nice. I would not dwell on those long basses and chords though.

I googled the tune name Varsoviana by Sally Sloane and got the tune no problems at all.

This tune and my tune are Mazurka Waltzes it is a couple dance in France part hop step part waltz. I confess to never having managed to dance it properly.

You make a valid point regarding my long chords/basses ,it is part of the learning process for a new playing style and I have yet to master putting in a full run on the pull on the right hand and an alternative run at the same time on my left hand.You will have to put up with a held note for a while longer. The alternative is the in out Anglo style Misha which as a piano accordion player I would not have thought you would like.Pleased you like the tune.

Thanks

Alan

Al

Chris

I googled the tune name Varsoviana by Sally Sloane and got the tune no problems at all.

This tune and my tune are Mazurka Waltzes it is a couple dance in France part hop step part waltz. I confess to never having managed to dance it properly.

You make a valid point regarding my long chords/basses ,it is part of the learning process for a new playing style and I have yet to master putting in a full run on the pull on the right hand and an alternative run at the same time on my left hand.You will have to put up with a held note for a while longer. The alternative is the in out Anglo style Misha which as a piano accordion player I would not have thought you would like.Pleased you like the tune.

Thanks

Alan

I really liked that too. Very jaunty.

Oh, I got Sally Sloane's Varsoviana. I just can't find origin of the name. "Varshavyanka" is a woman from Warsaw. In French it may sound "Varsovienne" or something. I thought it's the name of particular revolutionary march (good lyrics, by the way) and am surprised to find it's a generic name for a style of dance.

Al

Hello Alan. I like your tune very much. Is it possible to publish the notes or ABC? I'd like to give it a try on the English concertina.

Al

Hello Alan. I like your tune very much. Is it possible to publish the notes or ABC? I'd like to give it a try on the English concertina.

Hallo Michelv all my tunes are in my head and are all memorised, so no dots are available. It would take me a considerable time to write them out for you.

If we plead nicely someone on this site may take pity on us.

Al

Al

Hallo Michelv all my tunes are in my head and are all memorised, so no dots are available. It would take me a considerable time to write them out for you.

Al

No problem. I'll have a go at it myself then.

Al

Al

I'm not sure I got all of it right, but here's my shot: Bonjour Mazurka/Waltz

Al

Al

I'm not sure I got all of it right, but here's my shot: Bonjour Mazurka/Waltz

Crikey!! Well done six months work for me done in a couple of hours

Sounds great

Al

Oh, I got Sally Sloane's Varsoviana. I just can't find origin of the name. "Varshavyanka" is a woman from Warsaw. In French it may sound "Varsovienne" or something. I thought it's the name of particular revolutionary march (good lyrics, by the way) and am surprised to find it's a generic name for a style of dance.

The varsoviana or varsovienne is a dance originating in France during 1850s. It is a slow, genteel type of mazurka. Popular at balls in the Tuileries, it is named after the French form of ‘Warsaw’.

Chris

The varsoviana or varsovienne is a dance originating in France during 1850s. It is a slow, genteel type of mazurka. Popular at balls in the Tuileries, it is named after the French form of ‘Warsaw’.

Chris

There must be more to it, as 1840s-50s were revolutionary times. Polish uprising against Russian occupation, large Polish immigrant community in France, Chopin (promoted Mazurkas). Can't find much in English and Russian and don't speak Polish.

Al

Nice! For dancing, would you say this works better as a waltz or mazurka? (I sometimes get in trouble at French dances when I play a mazurka too much like a waltz, or a waltz too much like a mazurka).

Al

Nice! For dancing, would you say this works better as a waltz or mazurka? (I sometimes get in trouble at French dances when I play a mazurka too much like a waltz, or a waltz too much like a mazurka).

It is really a varsovienne, not a waltz or mazurka. So you should dance a varsovienne on it. Sadly enough, not many people still know how to dance a varsovienne or a redowa. There are a bunch of dances in 3/4: waltz, mazurka, menuet, varsovienne, redowa, java... And I fear that the French are even loosing the concept of mazurka as well. It's up to us old guys to keep these traditions going.

varsovienne danced on youtube

Edited by michelv

Al

It is really a varsovienne, not a waltz or mazurka. So you should dance a varsovienne on it. Sadly enough, not many people still know how to dance a varsovienne or a redowa. There are a bunch of dances in 3/4: waltz, mazurka, menuet, varsovienne, redowa, java... And I fear that the French are even loosing the concept of mazurka as well. It's up to us old guys to keep these traditions going.

varsovienne danced on youtube

Interesting dance that I have not seen before,nor does it appear as French, with their traditional dances the feet, are kept very low to the ground.

Thanks for the link.

The usual French Mazurka is alive and well and danced in central London(Bal dances), very strong in Leipzig when I was there and of course in France where we played for French/ English dancing.

Al