Sticky buttons

Any suggestions on what to do about sticking buttons? I have 2 buttons RH side that are sticking and figured to ask before doing something silly.

Edit: Actually let me rephrase that. It is not the buttons that seem to be sticking, but the internal mechanism that lets the note sound. The buttons seem to be where they belong, just that the notes occasionally sound when pushing.

Edited by jlfinkels

I'm sure Frank can offer the best advice.

When an action mechanism is not working properly there are several areas to check.

1. The pivot point for binding (In the case of your Edgley action this is unlikely problem area)

2. Arm and button alignment

3. Arm bushing and end bushing

4. Spring tension and placement

Increasing spring tension sometimes alleviates the symptoms but does not address the underlying problem which can be alignment.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got brave and took my instrument apart to check things out. Nothing jumps out as being wonky, but I don't know specifically what I'm looking for either.

Let me try and explain it better...

• My RH B/C button (first finger) occasionally sticks and the note sounds even after the button is released. If I tap it again it stops sounding and is fine for a while.
  • There is a higher note that sounds is I push the concertina closed without touching any buttons. If I tap the keys it will stop, but starts again after some time playing.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff, when the problem occurs, have you checked the height of the buttons to see if the button giving you the problem is sitting lower than the other buttons, or if they are all the same height? I had

a similar problem a while back. In my case, the button was slightly lower because a pad was not sealing properly. However, it was easier to diagnose because the button stayed depressed and I could visually see the pad out of alignment when I opened the concertina. Hope this helps.

Hollis

I actually got brave and took my instrument apart to check things out. Nothing jumps out as being wonky, but I don't know specifically what I'm looking for either.

Let me try and explain it better...

• My RH B/C button (first finger) occasionally sticks and the note sounds even after the button is released. If I tap it again it stops sounding and is fine for a while.
  • There is a higher note that sounds is I push the concertina closed without touching any buttons. If I tap the keys it will stop, but starts again after some time playing.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff, when the problem occurs, have you checked the height of the buttons to see if the button giving you the problem is sitting lower than the other buttons, or if they are all the same height? I had

a similar problem a while back. In my case, the button was slightly lower because a pad was not sealing properly. However, it was easier to diagnose because the button stayed depressed and I could visually see the pad out of alignment when I opened the concertina. Hope this helps.

Hollis

The RH B/C button does seem to be out of place when it sounds. If I tap it the button seats itself properly. The high note that sounds on a push does not seem to be out of place, but I still haven't identified exactly what button it is that sounds.

Don't you hate it when someone follows up their own post with another post? Drives me batty, especially when it is me doing it to myself! :rolleyes:

Based on some previous posts on similar topics I took the RH end off my instrument and by looking closely at the B/C lever I realized the spring that pushes the arm up after the button is released is brushing up against the vertical pivot point that the arm rests in, which seems to be retarding it returning to the original position. I also noticed that the strength of that spring is less that other buttons, but since it is a button that is played often I didn't know if that is expected due to the repetitive pushing.

So my question is now, can I adjust the spring to have more tension or move it away from the vertical pivot point myself, or does it require an expert to adjust/replace? I can send it back to Frank Edgley for repairs, but if it is something simple I can do it myself. I assume I have a similar problem with the higher note that sounds when pushing the instrument closed with no buttons depressed, but one problem at a time.