My Learning Process - Bourrée D'egletons.

PeterT

Try this link, which has the tunes in ABC format :) :

http://www.tradfrance.com/

Thanks a lot Peter. It's a pity that he didn't make a special Massif Central section as he did for "Normandie" and "Bretagne" but it will not so difficult to find "Auvergne" and "Massif Central" in the ABC files.

So, I received the concertina method from Didier Jaffrédo today, but I wait the concertina yet.

gibet_b' date='Jan 8 2008, I think that the concertina is a good choice for many types of music, not just "traditional" or "classical". It's good, when you have learnt the basics, and made further progress, to push the boundaries.

It's my plan. I hope I will be able to "push the boundaries". I think it's perfectly possible : i heard somebody try to play "La valse d'Amélie" by Yann Tiersen (from the "Amélie Poulain" soundtrack) and it was very interesting... It's possible but if i will be able to match the challenge.

For the moment, I seek for a repertoire of songs that i will be able to learn. I found for celtic music on this website (my favourites songs are here : Carrickfergus, Brian Boru's March, Morrison's jig ; only some of them miss : foggy dew, the town i love so well, and 2 or 3 songs. But I don't know french traditionnal music as well as celtic music, and i don't know where i can find a compilation of the most well known french traditionnal, especially auvergne's songs. I'm curious to learn this type of music, but i don't know it very well.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showuser=6410

pip.gifpip.gif

Group: Members

Member No.: 6410

spacer.gif

I'm in the "Puy-De-Dôme" county (like Juliette Daume, but if i'm no wrong, on the opposite point on a map), more precisely in an area called "Les Combrailles", and more again precisely in a village called Saint-Maurice Près Pionsat.

I know that english people love Auvergne ! My wife is teacher in the village's school and 25% of the children are english !!! To be honnest, the only problem : it's now very difficult to buy a no so expansive house... Or we had to make it build, but it's not the same. But you are wecome ! Come in France, come in Auvergne ! :)

For me, I'm proud to be an auvergnat, and i always happy to talk about it ! And to prove it and finish, some photos (on the 2nd : my sister, me and my wife) :

Hi 'gibet_b'

Actually I live just 70 kilometres from you and I'm planning to move just 2k from Pontaumur which is about 30k from you. Pontaumur is famous for it's beautiful Bach Organ which attracts people from all over the world to hear and to play it.

I plan to open a music school there to teach the concertina and some related music forms. It is a perfect area to have a concertina festival with the lakes, and mountains and beautiful scenery. I will have a very wonderful setting close to hotels, restaurants, camping, etc.. This is only ½ hour from Clermont-Ferrand and so it is easy to access by plane or train.

There is no more beautiful area in all of France and the people in the area are very friendly, generous, helpful and hospitable. They are very welcoming to my ideas. Only people who don't know the area ever have something negative to say about it. But, then, it may be a mistake to say too much nice about it here, better that it remains a special secret!

I am also considering offering free lessons in concertina playing on the internet and I'll make some announcements about that idea on the Cnet shortly.

I have this to say about various kinds of music for the concertina. There is lots of traditional music available here and in time you will connect up with plenty of that. You can only learn so much at a time though and so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

People can write me in French or Spanish as well as in English, so don't hesitate to write me.

Juliette

www.juliettedaum.com

Thought I'd share how I've reached my current point on Bourrée d'Egletons.

My start point was one of the video clips from the December 2007 "George Session", London. Bourrée d'Egletons is the second tune in the set:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2qonkYDKo

I then managed to find the ABC notation (in the key of F), transposed it into G (key of session recording) using:

http://www.8ung.at/abctransposer/

Pasted the tune into the Tune-o-tron:

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

Converted the music into sheet form and saved/printed.

At this point, I started learning the tune from a combination of the sheet music and recordings, using first English concertina, then Anglo. Having got the tune "somewhere close" to the original, I then wondered whether the concept of offering sheet music, plus audio, plus video had any mileage as a learning tool.

There is a problem in that I can't achieve a sharp focus on the sheet music, as yet, but if this could be resolved, would it be of use? Bourrée d'Egletons is the second of the two tunes.

Here's my two recordings, both played in G (interestingly, both recordings came out at 50 seconds!):

On English:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=StB-M7U0Sg0

On C/G Anglo (octave higher than written):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6f3WF2RV4

The sheet music is only of use if you are notation literate and can read the dots. You can find the dots to many "folk" tunes in the various internet tune books. I managed to find the dots to Bourree d'Egletons, in the key of F, in a French internet tunebook. As my sight reading ability is only basic, I use the wonderful Noteworthy Composer programme (much mentioned here) to produce a score which can then be played back using Noteworthy player so that you can hear how the tune is meant to sound. The note being played is highlighted in red, so you can easily follow the dots as you listen, which is brilliant! You can alter the tune's speed to suit your learning capability and transpose it to any key of your choice, i.e. from F to G as in the case of the Bourree d'Egletons and produce your own score print afterwards. Obviously, it's not the same as hearing the tune played live by a good musician with all the nuances in the playing that can be achieved to make the tune more interesting to play and to listen to, but..... This is my main method of learning new tunes: score them up on Noteworthy, enabling me to learn the tune, in part by ear on the playback and in part by following the dots (which is easier on an EC) and then, when I have learnt the tune, to try to find a live recording of someone or a group playing their version of the it, i.e. Peter T on You Tube, and then use that as an inspiration to improve on my own playing of the tune. Your idea may well work, Peter, so give it a go. It beats hoovering the carpets and dusting the window ledges! By the way, one of my favourite bourree's is the Bourree a Malochet, a really jaunty little tune.

Chris

Your idea may well work, Peter, so give it a go. It beats hoovering the carpets and dusting the window ledges!

Hi Chris,

Looks like my "usual" method of learning, and yours, are fairly similar, for exactly the same reasons.

I guess that many things are preferable to hoovering the carpets and dusting window ledges!

Regards,

Peter.

• 8 months later...
.. that just leaves the Maccann Duet to complete my "set".

Thought about this at lunchtime, so did a recording this afternoon:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ySLB5ZYQrBU&...9DB&index=4

Played in the key of G on a 55 key Wheatstone instrument tuned in G (normal layout, but all notes tuned a fourth lower).

Very nice Peter. Strongly 'Anglo' influenced sound there! (and thanks for the birthday greetings. Did I say that?)

All the "proper" Maccann players say that! :rolleyes:

It must be gaining the extra year that's done it ........ yes, you did!

Regards,

Peter.