Stagi Vs Concertina Connection

RiverHamble

Hi there.

I am still on my quest to see which instrument I shall get for a first purchase and I have played, well, touched and looked at several anglos at the most helpfull Celtic Chords in Stonehaven.

Sadly they had no english for me to "play" with.

So If I was to go with the anglo, which would be better the Stagi W-15-MS or the Rochelle?

Although the Stagi is nearly twice the price £210/£355 would one get twice the instrument?

Again any muttering or ramblings in my direction is most appreciated. :ph34r:

Hi there.

I am still on my quest to see which instrument I shall get for a first purchase and I have played, well, touched and looked at several anglos at the most helpfull Celtic Chords in Stonehaven.

Sadly they had no english for me to "play" with.

So If I was to go with the anglo, which would be better the Stagi W-15-MS or the Rochelle?

Although the Stagi is nearly twice the price £210/£355 would one get twice the instrument?

Again any muttering or ramblings in my direction is most appreciated. :ph34r:

go with the Rochelle, it is twice the instrument.

Alan

Thanks for your thoughts there Alan.

I have been thinking and as I am primarily interested in learning to play jigs and sea shanty type tunes I am going to go with the Anglo.

I had an nice chat with the people at The Music Room so I think that I may pop over there and try the Rochelle (and prolly the the Jackie as well)

Thanks again

Edited by RiverHamble

RiverHamble,

I'm with Alan. Sight unplayed I'd favor the Rochelle.

You will have a great advantage being able to play the instruments at the Music Room.

And yes, do give the Jackie and english system a whirl. There have been lots of good shanties played and accompanied with the english. Jigs and Morris music are certainly within the english concertina's capabilities.

Sometimes folks immediately prefer one system (anglo vs english) over the other. Sometimes the choice is made because one of the systems is totally baffling to them.

Hopefully, more information= better choices.

Enjoy your adventure!

Greg

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I went to Oxford today and had a good chat with the peple there (and a very nice coffee too) and after about 40 minutes of chatting and playing very basic scales I left the very proud owner of a Jack english concertina. They had no Jackies in stock!

It has a nice sound and I am on my way to playing some very basic stuff.

Will the baritone hamper my learning in any way? I know that the physical side of playing will be the same but when it comes to reading music, I understand the rudiments, will being in a lower octave make that much difference?

RiverHamble,

I think you will be able, for practicality, to treat the treble music staff as if you were playing a treble (Jackie) concertina.

If you play parts with other concertinas or instruments they might want you to read (Help me here those of musical literacy....) from the bass clef?

Many prefer the lower sound of the baritone for song accompaniment.

Nice choice.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Most of the time the baritone parts are written in treble clef and just sound an octive down. While I tend to play one of my trebles in sessions and for dancing (because that particular instrument is louder) I'm quite fond of my baritone. I'd agree it's a good choice.

Edited by Larry Stout

I've had a Jack and a Jackie (from the Music Room in Cleckheaton) since April. From day one the Jack was my favourite, I just loved the deep warm tone. From a playing point of view it has to be said that the lowest notes on a baritone are noticeably slower to respond than those of a treble. I've moved on to a Wheatstone treble now but Jack is still played quite regularly and I played it at a recent workshop so I could have a stab at the third part of the arrangements.

On that occasion the baritone parts were written in the treble clef with 8va written at the beginning to indicate that it should be played an octave lower than written. It's many years since I last read and played bass clef so I would have struggled to get the pieces ready in time.

Have fun with the Jack, and if you got as far as 'Oh When The Saints' in the tutor within a day or so you're obviously getting to grips with the English keyboard layout pretty well, keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I am thinking that the lower tones of the Jack are pretty sweet.

I have gone back to the start of the book again as I don't want to rush ahead and not learn the basics, though it would be nice to learn a few carols for December.

Still looking far some help in the Southampton area though if anybody knows anyone.

Why work things out by ear such as carols, when the internet is full of sites like this.

http://www.christmas-carol-music.org/

I hope it is ok to post links, this is free and doesn't infringe copyright as the carols are so old.

My music reading skills are very basic still but I can follow or at least work out what is what even if I can't play them yet.

Christmas and carols mean different things to different people, you can't get more Dickensian than carols and a concertina imho.