Newbies Forum

PS the reason why a forum may be desirable rather than a thread is that threads disappear if not used much. A newbies thread could be very popular, and yet if not used for one period of a few weeks would sink out of sight under the weight of later threads, and many newbies appear to be new to computers and fora as well, with the result that many have never discovered the significance of the search buttons.

I agree, and would add that one topic in an existing sub-forum would not make it possible to diferentiate between the varied beginners' information needs, e.g. about instruments, tutors/learning DVDs, suitable music/genres, maintenance, etc., etc., or between English, Anglo and Duet(s).

Cheers,

John

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, and would add that one topic in an existing sub-forum would not make it possible to diferentiate between the varied beginners' information needs, e.g. about instruments, tutors/learning DVDs, suitable music/genres, maintenance, etc., etc., or between English, Anglo and Duet(s).

A fair point well made (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?). But unless you had lots of stickies then you would end up with a horrendously long and unwieldy thread. And if you have lots of stickies then you might as well give it a separate forum.

Why not try a Newbies forum for an experimental period - say 3 months. If at the end of it it isn't being used then it could be dropped again.

Chris