Tuning Top Row Lachenal

I'm tuning a 30 key lachenal at the moment, and having some trouble with 2 of the reeds on the top row right side - I keep trying to sharpen them but it gets flatter. Both are long enough that it's not because of filing in the wrong place by mistake. On the charts I've seen, both should be d# in a lachenal, but the ones in mine are both eb, I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem. ANyone have any idea why this might be?

Hahaha, nope, not even a wind-up, I just have the worst musical theory of anyone ever and never even thought about that (yes I do know I'm an idiot) :) Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep on trucking with it then.

Edited by Tiree

Certainly not enough info to be able to correctly suggest anything that is causing your reeds to get flatter... other than; You are filing them in the wrong place... or they are not fitting properly into their slots, or the reedpan is not fitting properly into the bellows;or you are not allowing for the difference in pitch between the sound of a reed mounted in the instrument or out of it....

Better tell us more or describe what you are doing so's someone can assist.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Okay, I test them insidthe instrument, I'm filing the end to sharpen them. I've managed to tune almost all the others just fine so there's no problem with the reedplan, and the reeds fit fine in the slots. The tongues are set right and are clean, the valves are new and in the right position. They are on the chambered side of the pan so it has nothing to do with valve pins. I've managed to tune the other reeds, and have been trying with these for a while but they still do the same thing so I thought it would be best to ask before I wear them away too much since, as you can see with the d#/eb thing, I am pretty good at missing glaringly obvious things. The action board is all fine too, and the adjacent notes in the same chamber are both fine.

I also can't see any cracks or damage to the tongue, and they have not been filed a lot, so I'm pretty sure it's not fatigue/damage causing it. (Reeds are steel, by the way.)

Edited by Tiree

Tiree,

Make sure you are clearing any filing debris ("slag") from around the reed tongue as you tune. I usually do this by running a very thin piece of stainless steel shim stock (0.001) under and around the reed tongue. I suppose a very small screw driver with a keen head could also serve to scrape away slag by running it along the underside of the reed tongue inside against edges of the shoe.

The other things to check are making sure your clamp screws are tight and the reed tongue is centered in its shoe.

I have to admit that some of the above procedures usually settle a reed that goes sharp particularly when raising pitch but the slag effect is worth checking and I have had tongues loosen up in the tuning process.

Good luck!

Greg

A bit of a long shot, but the symptoms you describe (filing the reed sharper but finding it goes flatter) also arise as a result of fatigue cracking. These cracks are invisible until you try to alter the set of the reed by bending it upwards, at which point they bend sharply at the crack, or simply break.

Edited by david robertson

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the suggestions! I can't see any sign of a crack and they bend around just fine, so I guess I'll just persevere and get them really clean.Thanks again :)

Tiree, you don't say what you are using to tune the reeds. Are you using an electronic tuner?

With the confusion about the D# Eb thing, it could be some problem with the method. Especially as it's just this one note.

Did the reeds SOUND flatter, after you filed them?

If I was in your shoes, I would tune them by ear until they sounded a perfect D#, and then test them with the tuner.

Here is a link you can use to hear the perfect D# :

http://piano-player.info/

Edited by Patrick McMahon