Gary Chapin

I'm a bit confused by the music Gary, the B part has a time signature of 3/4 but the bars are written in 3/8??

Yes, it looks odd written like this and in fact Gary, when you played it "in your kitchen video" the B part does not sound very waltzy.. more like a Three Time Bourrée...

I have been known to play this on my concertina, but I do not suggest that I have a Concertina Version.. it is just a dance that comes up at Bals from time to time.

This is the best I can come up with.

X:25
T:Cotillon Vert, Le
M:4/4
L:1/8
P:(AB)3
K:C
P:A
Q:1/4=140
|:edcB c2 de|f2 df e2c2|edcB c2de|f2d2c4:|
M:3/8
Q:1/4=115
[P:B]gag|fde|fgf|e2c|efe|dBc|def|g3|
gag|fde|fgf|e2c|efe|dBc|ded|c3|]
Edit: refined the abc. I think the A repeats but the B doesn't, some of the recordings bear this out.
Edited by tallship

I'm a bit confused by the music Gary, the B part has a time signature of 3/4 but the bars are written in 3/8??

I would bet that that is simply an ABC error. In the Mally Bal Folk book, those are quarter notes.

Here's a link to another rendering: http://www.diatojo.com/tablatures/fichiers/cotillon-vert.pdf

I think the appropriate correction for the ABC is to change the L for the B part to 1/4 and to leave it in 3/4.

[uPDATE: fixed it on the blog]

Yes, it looks odd written like this and in fact Gary, when you played it "in your kitchen video" the B part does not sound very waltzy.. more like a Three Time Bourrée...

I have been known to play this on my concertina, but I do not suggest that I have a Concertina Version.. it is just a dance that comes up at Bals from time to time.

I could be playing it more quickly than I ought ... the French waltz can be brisk. Do you think Sylvain and Dominique's versions don't sound waltz-like?

Edited by Gary Chapin

To me the best solution seems to be

X:25
T:Cotillon Vert, Le
M:C|
P:(AB)3
K:C
P:A
Q:1/2=115
|:edcB c2 de|f2 df e2c2|edcB c2de|f2d2c4:|
M:3/8
Q:3/8=115
[P:B]gag|fde|fgf|e2c|efe|dBc|def|g3|
gag|fde|fgf|e2c|efe|dBc|ded|c3|]
It seems to me that in the performances the half note of the A section is essentially equal to one bar of the B section. If you prefer to look at the B section as 3/4 just change the M:3/4 L:1/4 Q:3/4=115
Edited: I don't know the dance so my tempo guess may be wrong, but that certainly makes it easy to play and corresponds quite well to the performances
Edited by cboody

I've been obsessing about this tune, and actually went looking for a concertina version. Anyone?

http://accordeonaire.blogspot.com/2013/07/tribute-le-cotillon-vert.html

Okay, I'll bite. Cool tune, never played anything quite like this before! Played in C on a Morse C/G anglo. Seems to me that to get the timing right, you have to see the dancers in front of you.

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/le-cotillon-vert-2

I could be playing it more quickly than I ought ... the French waltz can be brisk. Do you think Sylvain and Dominique's versions don't sound waltz-like?

Sylvain's sounds correctly waltzy, and I'm sure Dominique's will be perfect, though I cannot locate a version just this minute.... I think you need to waltz around the kitchen a bit ;)

Jim, that's great and your chording is really nice. Thanks so much ... would you mind my sharing it on the blog???

Sylvain's sounds correctly waltzy, and I'm sure Dominique's will be perfect, though I cannot locate a version just this minute.... I think you need to waltz around the kitchen a bit ;)

You wouldn't be the first to suggest it! Dominique's is linked to in my article.

Edited by Gary Chapin

• 2 months later...