Summertime On The Concertina

Randy Stein

• 5 years later...

I'm late to this party but thought I'd demonstrate how David Cornell's arrangement can be adapted to a 52-button Hayden.  I much prefer Dirge's rendition but hope to add more feel to my playing with time (started 5 months ago).

-George

• Like 2

Nice music and wonderful playing! I was also thinking to try to adapt some of David Cornell's arrangements because there is a lack of written music for the Hayden system. Did you have a lot to do to adapt this one or was it rather easy to transpose it on the Beaumont? Hope that you will post more videos and you should post it also on the videos and recordings page!

Didie

Thanks, Didie.  And thanks for posting your superb renditions.  They helped persuade me to give the instrument a try.  Adapting to the Beaumont was not too difficult.  As you may know David played a 67-button Maccann which spans a few notes lower than our instrument, down to G.  Hence a few notes had to be raised an octave.  I used MuseScore for notation.  It has a playback feature that let me decide if the adaptation sounded acceptable before I invested practice time.  I also used Don Taylor's soundfont (see here).  I do hope to post more videos and do my humble part to spread the word of this underappreciated instrument.

-George