Schärf-Fix Skiver Set-Up

Trying to do the skiving in two stages makes it more difficult. Best if you can do it with a single cut. If it is partly skived as you describe the thin edge becomes more flexible than the thicker areas and will be more prone to rucking up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theo

I'm paring down to around 0.3-0.4mm in one or two passes - then I'm doing a final pass after a blade change to pare down to around 0.1mm.

This seems to minimise the rucking up of the leather.

Agreed though, any thinner than 0.3mm for a final pass will cause the leather to ruck.

I then carefully dress the very edges of the thin edge with a very sharp knife.

I had a look at my Lachenal, and as you say, it's very thinly skived. On the bellows frame, it's very hard to see the join.

They ran the join along one of the corners, as well, so it's even better disguised.

I might have been thinking of a German Lachenal clone, when I remembered thinking that the join was rather obvious.

I'm intrigued how you can measure down to 0.1 mm Steve. How do you manage that, with the squashiness of the leather?

I liked the photos. Did you make your own framework?

Patrick
I use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the leather - my micrometer is accurate to 0.01mm :blink:
Yes I made my bellows frame.

I'm updating the pictures as the project progresses.

Edited by SteveS

• 5 months later...

I finally got around to trying out the Israeli Personna blades, and I can confirm that they are a bit variable, but when you find a good sharp one it's astonishing how easily and cleanly it cuts the leather. Much better than the thicker OEM blades that came with the tool.

Incidentally I've noticed there is now a Chinese manufacturer making what is clearly a clone of the Scharf-Fix 2000. Search eBay for "skiving machine" and it appears in multiple listings. No idea if it is any good, but it is a fraction of the price of the genuine article.

I finally got around to trying out the Israeli Personna blades, and I can confirm that they are a bit variable, but when you find a good sharp one it's astonishing how easily and cleanly it cuts the leather. Much better than the thicker OEM blades that came with the tool.

I've also noticed a variation in the Persona blades - but they're generally better than moe commonly available blades.

I bought my blades off eBay - but they'e available in Tesco, and slightly cheaper in Asda.