Odd Number Of Sides

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that 360 degrees divided over eight sides, does yield a whole number, 45 degrees.

Yes, 360 degrees divided over nine sides yields 40 degrees, which is great when looked at digitally, but difficult to construct geometrically because it is messy in radians.

That 45 degrees is a very neat Pi/4 radians, but 40 degrees is a tricky 2Pi/9 radians. What that means in practical carpentry terms is you have to divide a circle into thirds, and then divide into thirds again, which gets a bit messy. but 45 degrees is easy to do by simply dividing in half twice, and the 60 degrees of a hexagon is also easy to do, as the sides are the same length at the radius of the circle.

So a Nonagon is a pain to build, although I expect such an instrument would look very nice once completed by a skilled craftsman.

Personally, I'm intrigued with seven sides, but that would be even harder to create geometrically, and is a mess digitally as well. It would be a step farther from the danger of rolling away than nine sides of course, but then again the good old hexagon has both of them beat on that score.

Tradition has it that a ship's wheel (for steering) should have seven spokes, because it's not possible to divide a circle into seven equal segments by mechanical means (i.e., with a straightedge and drawing compass). It would have to be done by eye, and as with music, it's far easier to perceive deviations from perfection than to produce perfection. Thus, if the carpenter with his eye and hand could construct a visibly even 7-spoked wheel, then one could trust his ability to shape and fit other parts properly, and trust that the ship he built would be safe and secure on the ocean.

I know that division into 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 can be done mechanically. I'm not sure about 9, but I suspect it can, too. The next "impossible" division would be 11 sides or pie slices. (And then any further prime numbers or any number divisible by a prime number greater than 5. Anybody want a concertina with 31-sided ends... or 77?)

But computing and cutting patterns under computer control, while not infinitely precise, can still give greater precision for division by any number at all than can be distinguished by the human eye or constructed by hand-steered tools, so it should certainly be "good enough". B)

Oops, not sure what you mean, I am not very maths savvy and I suspect things are expressed differently where you come from. Perhaps this will explain...

Oops again, I can't post an image, the forum only wants a URL. Has the procedure changed? There is something called "My Media library" but no way to upload there either...

I wouldn't guess to have expressed myself following any strict convention. I was just trying to figure out the circumstances under which an angle as mentioned would occur. Assuming that a given (rectangular) workpiece would "have" a total of 180° (or 360°) at any event, 67,5° twice and one square angle would add up to 180°. Maybe this is misleading...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Going back to ten-sided concertinas, I went to a friends new year's eve musical party a few years ago and one of the other guest musicians was playing what I thought was a twelve-sided Edeophone English concertina. During a break in the playing, I went up to him to talk to him about his lovely Edeophone, only to discover that it had ten sides and had been made by Colin Dipper a few years earlier. I now wish I had been in a position to take a photo of this rare instrument.

Chris

Going back to ten-sided concertinas, I went to a friends new year's eve musical party a few years ago and one of the other guest musicians was playing what I thought was a twelve-sided Edeophone English concertina. During a break in the playing, I went up to him to talk to him about his lovely Edeophone, only to discover that it had ten sides and had been made by Colin Dipper a few years earlier. I now wish I had been in a position to take a photo of this rare instrument.

It sounds as if Colin has made several 10-sided concertinas.

One of the few positive consequences of decimalisation? ;)

One of my protractors is permanently set to 67.5°...

5-1/3 sides? :unsure:

When you make octagons from segments there are more angles involved than just 360/8..!

67.5 is the angle of the mitred ends of the side pieces for an 8 sided shape.

See attached.

Geoffrey

"I know that division into 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 can be done mechanically. I'm not sure about 9, but I suspect it can, too."

​Evariste Galois constructed a regular 17-gon mechanically (i.e. with only a straight edge and compasses) when he was 19. It was a discovery that led him to decide to become a mathematician. The branch of mathematics he founded, later called Galois Theory, was subsequently used to show that the only prime numbers p for which a p-gon can be constructed mechanically are 2, 3, 5, 17, 257 and 65537.

Since you can bisect any angle mechanically that means that a polygon with p times a power of two can also be constructed in this manner, e.g. 4, 6, 8, 10. However, Galois also showed that an arbitrary angle cannot be trisected, so a nonagon (nine sides) can't be constructed mechanically.

Incidentally, Galois also showed that the classical problem of squaring the circle is impossible. (That is, producing a square with the same area as a given circle using straight edge and compasses alone.)

I understood all this at one time, but never thought I'd make use of it ...

One of my protractors is permanently set to 67.5°...

5-1/3 sides? :unsure:

When you make octagons from segments there are more angles involved than just 360/8..!

67.5 is the angle of the mitred ends of the side pieces for an 8 sided shape.

Elegantly expressed and much easier than posting a .jpg from an Acad .dxf. Thanks Geoff and compliments of the quickly departing festive season to you and Jean..!

"I know that division into 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 can be done mechanically. I'm not sure about 9, but I suspect it can, too."

​Evariste Galois constructed a regular 17-gon mechanically (i.e. with only a straight edge and compasses) when he was 19. It was a discovery that led him to decide to become a mathematician. The branch of mathematics he founded, later called Galois Theory, was subsequently used to show that the only prime numbers p for which a p-gon can be constructed mechanically are 2, 3, 5, 17, 257 and 65537.

Since you can bisect any angle mechanically that means that a polygon with p times a power of two can also be constructed in this manner, e.g. 4, 6, 8, 10. However, Galois also showed that an arbitrary angle cannot be trisected, so a nonagon (nine sides) can't be constructed mechanically.

Incidentally, Galois also showed that the classical problem of squaring the circle is impossible. (That is, producing a square with the same area as a given circle using straight edge and compasses alone.)

I understood all this at one time, but never thought I'd make use of it ...

Using an engineering drawing program (it does not groan as I would if asked to create a 17 sided polygon) and cnc neatly steps around most maths issues but I would love to understand the details of your examples. Sadly, so far no indications of the issuing of a second lifetime, so pure maths will have to go in the junk pile along with building a yacht and reading the Rosetta Stone...